Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

First game etiquette

So my son is moving up next year to the next age division. We were talking about what he should and should not do with the "big boys" during the first game or two until he gets his feet wet and finds his own rhythm. That got me thinking, what do you all consider appropriate behavior for juniors and beer leagers alike in their first games?

These are not try outs and there are no scouts and the teams have new rosters and are already set. Is it different comparing adult beer league to junior? It seems to me it is, but what do you all think? I think an adult, as a new player on the team, should just kind of hang back, play position, solid defense and concentrate on passing. This opposed to going out to set the ice afire by scoring ten goals and trying to make himself look like the next "Great One". Whereas the junior has a little more room to be aggressive and flashy. Keep in mind a no-check inline league.

just be yourself and don't write checks your butt can't cash. Nothing worse than a person who claims they can do ANYTHING but can barely skate. If he's going to a team that has alot of returning players he should just sit back at first and observe/listen to figure out who is who. Give 100% every shift, support your team mates and be positive.

Be yourself and people will accept you easier, pretend that your something else and they will find out real quick.

just be yourself and don't write checks your butt can't cash. Nothing worse than a person who claims they can do ANYTHING but can barely skate. If he's going to a team that has alot of returning players he should just sit back at first and observe/listen to figure out who is who. Give 100% every shift, support your team mates and be positive.

Be yourself and people will accept you easier, pretend that your something else and they will find out real quick.

Man that is awesome advice. I may write it down and make a million $$ off it. I'll give you full credit of course...

Not only good advice for hockey, but life in general.

Its the Gordie Howe theory: #9 always said there was a reason God gave you two ears and one mouth- shut up and listen.

As an almost 30 yr. old playing adult league hockey, I've always felt that there is a certain etiquette to maintain ESPECIALLY when playing on a new team (even though it's only "beer league"). Now for the most part I always play with the same teams season after season. But occasionally a team from another division or night will ask me to fill in for a game (they put me on the roster at the beginning of the season). For the most part I won't know anyone on the team except for just seeing them in passing at the rink. I try to just stay quiet in the lockerroom unless spoken to. If they ask me what position I want to play, I tell them "wherever you need me to play". I don't take ANY offensive chances where I think it may lead to a turnover or giveaway (I feel much more comfortable blowing a dangle as the last man on D on my own teams :P ). I really don't take many shots unless I have a golden opportunity or the team tells me to "start shooting!". I just try to pass a LOT and play good safe meat & potatoes hockey. I'm not very verbal on any of my teams but I try to chime in with the "good play", "nice save", "don't worry we"ll get that one back"...etc... Basically comment but don't criticize.

I agree w/ all the advice given so far except for "I really don't take many shots unless I have a golden opportunity...". A team won't win unless it scores goals, and a goal can't be scored unless a shot is taken. Take shots to your heart's content...just make sure they're on net. Even if you don't dent the twine, the rebound could present a "golden opportunity" to a teammate. Sometimes a simple lob toward the net is better than trying to thread a needle.

Yeah, on most teams there's a "core" of players who make up the team, along with some guys who are new to the team. As a newbie, you want to pay attention to how the core guys operate the team; they probably have good chemistry together, and you want to try to fit yourself into that system as easily and quickly as possible.

That said, you also have to communicate your own needs. Talk to your linemates, make sure everyone knows how you like to play (crash the net, high slot, grind in the corners, defensive forward, etc) and that that meshes with your mates.

Don't complain, don't lose your temper. Work hard, 100%, every shift. Be positive and encouraging even if your team is down. You're never, ever out of the game, unless you let yourself think you are. Don't lay blame for mistakes, but admit it when something was your fault. Compliment people on things they did well. Make suggestions in a friendly, non-critical way.

Play your game, within your team's style and system. If you're a shooter, make sure your linemates know that--and let 'em rip. If you're a net-mouth deflector/trash goal scorer, make sure they know that--and then go make the other goalie mad. :) If you're a playmaker, go with that. The team picked you up, most likely, because they liked your particular skills; no point in trying to be something you're not (or at least that you don't want to be).

Communication on the ice is important too. If you want someone to do something, or know something, tell them. If you're a forward behind the play and you want the D to go ahead and carry it down low, tell them you've got their position covered and they should take it in. Likewise if you're a D and you want someone to cover the slot while you pressure the puck carrier. The more information you can give your teammates, the better the decisions they can make.

All of that will make you popular with your teammates.

All of this is great advice. I would advise any or all of these ideas.

OR

You could just go out there, and get in a scuffle witht the biggest dude (or dudette) on the ice right from the git-go. Generally, that will either create some respect, or--more likely--create the impression that you're nuts. Either way, the other players will know where you stand.

I wouldn't say "sit back" so much as I would say "shut up". If I were on a team and we got new player that immediately performed on the ice, great! Now, on the other hand, if he starts talking about it, while he is still a "rookie", than that is a bad thing.

If you son goes out in the first game and scores 4 goals, but all he talks about was how he got a great pass from his linemate, or thanks his d-man for digging the puck out of the boards to setup the entire play...I don't think people will mind. They want to win after all. Don't brag about your stats. Talk up any great plays your teammates made. Don't act like you own/run the team. Don't step on the veterens toes, respect the coach and captain.

It all comes down to how you approach things.

You could just go out there, and get in a scuffle witht the biggest dude (or dudette) on the ice right from the git-go.  Generally, that will either create some respect, or--more likely--create the impression that you're nuts.  Either way, the other players will know where you stand.

In beer league? :rolleyes:

Grow up.

Not good advice at any level, anyway. It's not so cool when you need to pry the teeth from the back of your throat because the biggest guy on the ice just kicked your face in. Crazy = respect? Since when?

You could just go out there, and get in a scuffle witht the biggest dude (or dudette) on the ice right from the git-go.  Generally, that will either create some respect, or--more likely--create the impression that you're nuts.  Either way, the other players will know where you stand.

In beer league? :rolleyes:

Grow up.

Yeah, in my beer league that would result in you playing exactly one game that season, and I wouldn't lay odds on your getting drafted the next season, either.