Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

hey guys i'm looking into doing a ice skate to roller conversion and i have a old first gen version of the sprung so i was wondering if the improvement in the new chassic was worth paying another $120? if so what kind of differences will i expect? thx

shute, you sure you dont want some vibes? ;)

It depends on the condition of your chassis, if it works then might as well reuse it. Also, if you fit into the medium zone you might want to consider the A7. I went from the A6 to the A7 with no problems with the transition, and the A7 utilizes the arms from the A8... beefier and more robust, and takes 80mm wheels.

hey guys i'm looking into doing a ice skate to roller conversion and i have a old first gen version of the sprung so i was wondering if the improvement in the new chassic was worth paying another $120? if so what kind of differences will i expect? thx

shute, you sure you dont want some vibes? ;)

It depends on the condition of your chassis, if it works then might as well reuse it. Also, if you fit into the medium zone you might want to consider the A7. I went from the A6 to the A7 with no problems with the transition, and the A7 utilizes the arms from the A8... beefier and more robust, and takes 80mm wheels.

oh well that might be interesting, so does the part of the chassis that gets mounted onto the boot is the same size as the A6 but i get the use 80mm wheels instead?

p.s I already got my new "vibes", it's just that the rest of you call it sprungs :lol:

Shute... you mean the mounting holes? They are different from the A6. You might be able to use some of the same holes at the rear, but for the front I think you might need to drill new holes/extend old ones.

The overall length of the chassis and mounting plates (where the holes are, dunno what else to call it) is slightly longer, and I think the distribution of the holes is designed to distribute the loads on the chassis.

If you fall within the Medium category, try out the A7... you might be surprised on the results. I've tried the A6, 7 and 8, and found the 7 to have the best results. The A6 was sweet, but the A7 allows you more speed due to the 80mm wheels. The wheelbase for the A8 was just too long for me (Size 8.5-9)

Shute... you mean the mounting holes? They are different from the A6. You might be able to use some of the same holes at the rear, but for the front I think you might need to drill new holes/extend old ones.

The overall length of the chassis and mounting plates (where the holes are, dunno what else to call it) is slightly longer, and I think the distribution of the holes is designed to distribute the loads on the chassis.

If you fall within the Medium category, try out the A7... you might be surprised on the results. I've tried the A6, 7 and 8, and found the 7 to have the best results. The A6 was sweet, but the A7 allows you more speed due to the 80mm wheels. The wheelbase for the A8 was just too long for me (Size 8.5-9)

i was looking on the website but i'm not sure which size i need to get for the A7. I wear a size 8.5 nike shoe size and wear a 6.5 bauer skate size so that mean i need a medium or small A7?

Great job, and the wonderful thing about the screw mounting, is you can easily R&R the lifts if they need adjusting.

Thanks Keith. Yeah, the bolt-on part was nice, as I only had to remove the three bolts at the heel to add the lifts, rather than taking the chassis off the boots entirely.

Do you encounter many people who prefer heel lifts with the Sprungs?

I added polyethylene shims because I wanted to match the pitch of the E-Pro holders that were on these boots. These tapered shims go from 3mm to 5mm, and feel just right.

SprungShim.jpg

Greetings,

This seems to be the place to ask sprung questions. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. I'm looking to put an inline chassis on a vapor xxv boot (9EE). From the website, it looks like the A6 and A7 will both fit. The A6 takes 76mm wheels and the A7 takes 80mm wheels. I'm 255lbs and I would prefer not to go higher than 76mm. I'm looking for maximum stability not maximum speed. Will the A6 support my weight or should I go will the A7?

Can I run with 72mm wheels with the A6 or A7? With a straight chassis and all 72mm wheels, the lower center of gravity seemed more comfortable to me. I felt more balanced. Smaller wheels = better balance, less speed. Larger wheels = less balance, more speed. Is it reasonable to guess that would be the case with the sprung chassis as well?

I'd suggest going with the A7 chassis, as they are more robust in design. Even though they are designed for 80mm wheels, that doesnt stop you from using smaller wheels on the chassis. Only thing that Keith (Sprungster) would not recommend is using different size wheels for the chassis as you create stress areas in the frame.

I've run 72mm wheels on my A6s before without any problems.

Since the A7 uses 80mm arms, I would figure that even with 76mm wheels, you would be slightly higher off the ground than the A6 frames with 76mm wheels. Another thing to consider is whether there is a difference in wheelbase between the A6 and A7. Aren't the latest A6 plenty robust since they were improved from the original close-out model?

hey keith how are ya ,long time no talk. I love the look of the tour skates,very clean.anyone skating on those ,i would love to hear the feed back on the comparison with the before and after feel.

Those are my Tour Code One's with A7's that Keith posted a picture of. Just thought I'd leave some feedback for anyone that's interested. I'm 5'10" 170lbs, been skating for about 6 years, probably intermediate level. My previous skates were also Code One's, but with the stock chassis with all 80's. As for the Sprungs... I REALLY like them. I've got four games on them, and I love how they feel all around. They just feel more "alive". They turn smoother and sharper, they have more snap in crossovers and skating. They just feel smoother and more natural in general. I already feel like a better skater, and that I have better control with them. Keith was great and answered all my questions before I decided to go ahead with them.

Since the A7 uses 80mm arms, I would figure that even with 76mm wheels, you would be slightly higher off the ground than the A6 frames with 76mm wheels. Another thing to consider is whether there is a difference in wheelbase between the A6 and A7. Aren't the latest A6 plenty robust since they were improved from the original close-out model?

There is a difference in the wheel base of about 1/4 inch i think...

A6 9 5/8"

A7 10"

A8 10 17/32".

The A6 is plenty robust enough as it is, so you should be ok with them. Maybe I'm just sold on the A7 due to the speed and grip.

redpeak,thanks for that response,I was wondering what the difference would be between the stock chassis and the sprung chassis on the new tour skates.Its like ive been saying for years the sprung frames are amazing.as for performance,in my opinion.the stop and go for one on one battles in the corners should give you a better advantage,that is somthing ive noticed while in games and in practice.

Can anyone tell me what size A7 frame I would need for a Mission 8.5? Thanks. I am thinking about giving these a try since everyone seems to love them.

The size you are looking for is either a A6 or A7.

A6 - small frame

A7 - medium frame

The 8.5 is goign to be borderline for the A6 or A7, so you can go with either. THe A6 would have a shorter wheelbase, and the A7 would be longer.

I've used both, and transitioning from one to the other is no problem at all... its a larger difference when you go from the A6 to the A8

Do you know if it the frame would stick out pretty far with the A7? I really don't like much of the wheel to stick out past the front of the boot

you will get at least an inch sticking out front and rear. I've got the A7 mounted on my size 9 boots, and they already stick out that much.

Even though they stick out, it doesnt bother me., crossovers, front and rear are not problem.

The A6 might be a better choice for you then... with teh smaller wheel diameter and shorter wheelbase.

:) The parts are all here, and we will begin shipping today. Stuff will be shipped by order date.

As I said before, we are modifying the A6 rocker arms to give them bigger, more durable pivot knuckles. They will also use the same spring as the A7 and A8. The frame will have a little more pitch (lowered in front a touch), and everything will be tighter so the arms won't get loose. When the new A6X is done and tested, which will take a couple of months, it will have the same $125 tag as the A7 and A8.

Thanks to the above, the current A6 is going on Closeout for $79 until we only have warranty parts left. It will come with an extra pair of rocker arms and have the usual one year warranty. The team pac and wholesale prices are being reduced proportionately. We will be making the changes on the site tonight.

In about a week Sprungs will be available at Sin Bin in Edmonton with some excellent ice and roller players waiting on the first shipment.

The West Covina Sprung Bandits will be at NARCh in the Silver Division. I think they are all on Sprungs now. This is my home rink and I feel honored to be involved with these guys. :)

Will the new A6x have the same mounting holes as the A6 so that we can easily swap them out?

Yep, they'll fit right on. For a less expensive upgrade you can just switch to the A6X arms and springs, which will be tighter and better by themselves. But, the A6X frames will be better than the A6. With that said, the A6 Closeout is up on the site now, and they are the best high-performance frame deal in the world. There will be A6s out there for many years, same as the original model closeouts, which are still going all over the world. One player emailed me RE his new Sprungs that he just bought for $80, and they were Number 2 prototypes with no holes in the side of the frames and really tiny rocker arms. They were never sold anywhere... till now. ;)

This is my favorite pair right now.

8.5_TourQ_%20A7.jpg