Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

OK I added 1/8 inch heel lifts to my 705's hopefully this solves my problems. Also switched around the arms and made sure all was mounted correctly and tight. Wow never thought i would ever put heel lifts on Graf's!!! lol normally i change my holders on my ice skates as i buy them and profile the blades for a neutral pitch. This should be a fun experiment im thinking serious knee scraping.lol.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss282/c...994/sprung3.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss282/c...994/sprung2.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss282/c...994/sprung1.jpg

wholy crap that is a serious heel lift.I added a 1/16 lift in the front of 705 ice skates just to ease off the pitch.but for the sprungs in order to keep that same pitch and aviod the wheel touching I went with the 72mm for the 2nd wheel.all is fine.hey good luck McLuvin09,get back to us on that first skate with the new pitch.

wholy crap that is a serious heel lift.I added a 1/16 lift in the front of 705 ice skates just to ease off the pitch.but for the sprungs in order to keep that same pitch and aviod the wheel touching I went with the 72mm for the 2nd wheel.all is fine.hey good luck McLuvin09,get back to us on that first skate with the new pitch.

yea its a bit steep gonna take a bit to get used too...btw Iceburg where do you play i live out in port jeff

I work at the sports arena,started when it first opened (bulldog hockey)I play there just to stay in shape,play ice all over.where do you play ,we probably know alot of the same people.

OK think i have it licked... i took them apart and grinded down the cross section on the middle of the frame put them back together and went for a quick test run and they felt alot better no rubbing and i even like the feel better with the heel lifts they feel more like my ice skates 704's with the old tuuk plus holders profiled to a neutral pitch. I thought the lifts would cause problems in my 705's but i like the way they put me right on the balls of my feet.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!

hhmm I wonder if this is just with the graf 705s, my son has the graf G3s,with a front sprung lift ,he has no problems.I guess a front or back lift might be the key here but I really like the pitch of the boot with no lifts at all.

hey with the 1/8th inch heel lift these skates feel amazingly close to my ice skates. does the sprung chassis have no pitch to it at all or even a negative pitch?? i dont know but the shorter wheel radius of the a6 frames feels like a more heavily rockered ice blade which i love. thank god the grinding of the cross member and the lift worked cuz i love these skates. great job sprungster!! BTW i remember somebody said the 2nd and 3rd wheels on my frame looked really close so i looked at pics of other a6 frames and they all looked as close as mine you can see some on the ice to inline conversion thread.

iceburg, make your own.... read the thread that s4gobabygo wrote about making his own heel lifts.

I've thought of doing the same by cutting up the plastic on a clipboard (about 2mm thick)

fatwabbit, yeah I started fabricating them last night, 1/8 thick ,but if I feel the pitch is to much I"ll go to 1/16. its trial and error.

what are you using for them?

I've tried sourcing some of those plastic that I believe can be used for the heel lift but everyone here sells them really expensive. I found an old plastic clipboard that I dont use anymore, seems like a good idea but I havent mounted anything yet.

I just scored a pair of old HE950 boots that are brand new for real cheap... might throw some frames on them and see how they go.

im useing the lifts for graf 705s ,but i like the way the pitch is so im not sure if im going to.and I found some very strong flexable plastic at work.clip board plastic is to brittle,it might crack,check out the local harware store,or home depot.or how about a craft shop.

Problem

Has anyone ever had problems with their sprung wheel axles tightening up on them? I have never cranked the bolts down hard as I was afraid of stripping the aluminum fasteners, or the plastic arms (the hex part where the axle nuts sit). I changed out my wheels last week & found that three of the four (front, & two rear) axles on my right boot were locked up so tightly that the nuts were spinning in the rocker arms. I had never experienced this before, even though I regularly (about once a month) clean my bearings & rotate my wheels.

Cause?

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I really only "hockey stop" with my right foot forward? it seems to be the one thing I can think of that would be different between the two skates, & I had no issues with the axles on the left skate.

Solution - Sort of...

I ended up getting the axles undone by turning them so that the points of the axle huts were dug into the flat sides of the recessed holes in the rocker arms, & then hammering the tips of a set of snap-ring pliers into the spaces around the nut (where the points of the nut would normally be. This did tear up the nuts & rockers a tiny-bit, but after removing all of the loc-tite from the axle bolt threads I had no problems getting them on & off again. I tried screwing the axle bolts & nuts together by hand after removing the loc-tite, but found that with most of them I could could not thread the nuts all the way on, unless I flipped the nut over backwards? I did install them the correct way on the skates, though I did reverse the direction I inserted the axle bolts so the nuts would have a new surface to grip inside the rocker arms & had no problems with them.

Hopefully I don't run into this issue again. I may even put some anti-seize lubricant on the axle bolt threads to ensure it.

Hey Guys has anyone had problems with the wheels rubbing against the rocker arms while crossing over or gliding in a turn?? i have tried a couple of wheel brands and get the same results. Any solutions or do i have to dremmel the rocker arms as well??? i dont think that will work and think if i did they would snap off. The frames ar A6's on the Graf 705's with 76mm wheels.

Remove the rocker arms and check the 'knuckles'... had the same problem with them before and the 'knuckles' had snapped. They still allowed me to skate, but didnt have the free play to allow proper movement.

everything is good its my weight plus the force i drive down on them they flex. will the new A6X arms fit the old A6 Frames?? they are supposed to be stronger correct?

Problem

Has anyone ever had problems with their sprung wheel axles tightening up on them? I have never cranked the bolts down hard as I was afraid of stripping the aluminum fasteners, or the plastic arms (the hex part where the axle nuts sit). I changed out my wheels last week & found that three of the four (front, & two rear) axles on my right boot were locked up so tightly that the nuts were spinning in the rocker arms. I had never experienced this before, even though I regularly (about once a month) clean my bearings & rotate my wheels.

Cause?

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I really only "hockey stop" with my right foot forward? it seems to be the one thing I can think of that would be different between the two skates, & I had no issues with the axles on the left skate.

Solution - Sort of...

I ended up getting the axles undone by turning them so that the points of the axle huts were dug into the flat sides of the recessed holes in the rocker arms, & then hammering the tips of a set of snap-ring pliers into the spaces around the nut (where the points of the nut would normally be. This did tear up the nuts & rockers a tiny-bit, but after removing all of the loc-tite from the axle bolt threads I had no problems getting them on & off again. I tried screwing the axle bolts & nuts together by hand after removing the loc-tite, but found that with most of them I could could not thread the nuts all the way on, unless I flipped the nut over backwards? I did install them the correct way on the skates, though I did reverse the direction I inserted the axle bolts so the nuts would have a new surface to grip inside the rocker arms & had no problems with them.

Hopefully I don't run into this issue again. I may even put some anti-seize lubricant on the axle bolt threads to ensure it.

if u add water and freeze the arms around the nut can u thread them better? its an old skateboard trick used to do it when the trucks would strip almost the same scenario u explain. give it a try used to work for me.

Do you have the third gen A6? Those were supposed to be solidly built. Teh A6X are supposed to be even more robust.

If you can, why not try the A7? I've tried the A6, then A8, back to A6, and now on the A7. even with the longer wheelbase, I still feel that I've gotten a better edge than any other rigid frame chassis I've tried.