Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DamnLocust

Stick and Puck in NY?

Does anyone know of any ice rinks in the greater NYC area that offers stick and puck sessions? I'd like to get some quality time working on my shot on ice as it's considerably less effective/accurate than my shot in roller.

Newbridge in Bellmore is probably the best. they were closed all of june redoing the whole rink. Thursday nights 9pm-10:30 is open adult clinic.

other than that, long beach is all i know of. you can google for lists, but they're mostly outdated.

I played a lot of games in newbridge last season. I hate the big blocks of wood on the bench there. Did they get rid of them, or just do the surface of the boards? I knew they redid them because I had a playoff game moved because of it. How structured is that clinic? I basically just want to hammer pucks and my friend just wants to work on his edges and stopping. (we both came from playing roller hockey)

Do they have stick n puck at Long Beach or just open hockey? I went for open hockey one night when my league game got cancelled, but didn't like it much. nobody played defense and it was mostly 16 year olds hotdoggin' it and not passing, and celebrating after their 3 on 1 goals.

Will, I play in HLI so I've got no problem doing pretty much all of nassau, maybe western suffolk if that's all that I've got. I'm looking for monday tuesday or thursday evenings/nights. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for your input.

I played a lot of games in newbridge last season. I hate the big blocks of wood on the bench there. Did they get rid of them, or just do the surface of the boards? I knew they redid them because I had a playoff game moved because of it. How structured is that clinic? I basically just want to hammer pucks and my friend just wants to work on his edges and stopping. (we both came from playing roller hockey)

Do they have stick n puck at Long Beach or just open hockey? I went for open hockey one night when my league game got cancelled, but didn't like it much. nobody played defense and it was mostly 16 year olds hotdoggin' it and not passing, and celebrating after their 3 on 1 goals.

Will, I play in HLI so I've got no problem doing pretty much all of nassau, maybe western suffolk if that's all that I've got. I'm looking for monday tuesday or thursday evenings/nights. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for your input.

they redid everything at newbridge. including some of the lobby area & whatnot.

as far as i know they just have open hockey at long beach. it's worth it to go though just for the occassional pro that shows up. i've played with kovalev there, as well as some other former rangers. plus it's cheap & good times. the adult clinic at newbridge is $30. twice what the open hockey costs.

another place to go is syosset, but all the clinic type things they do are on the smaller rink.

Damn Locust: well on tuesdays and thursdays theres an open skate at syosset at 10pm. Its on the smaller rink they have their, which has its upsides and downsides. Its good beginner hockey to get used to playing. You'll get a lot of shots if nothing else. I have a few friends in Nassua that were looking into starting to play and I sent them there and they enjoyed themselves.

Syosset is a trip and a half, even for someone in Western Long Island.

Im telling you, IceLand in New Hyde Park is by far the closest.

$10. Full Equipment + Face shield mandatory

Give 'em a ring.

516-746-1100

I put the stick/puck idea to my managers here at Ice House. They just sat on their hands and did nothing. I think its a great idea for daytime week days. I'll try them again after summer ends. Right now all 4 rinks are booked with camps, figure skaters, and rec groups during the day and mens league at night through the end of August.

Long Beach is the closest to NYC that I know, but if you're talking more Nassua/Suffolk, pick a day and time and I'll tell you a skate lol

Chelsea Piers is right in manhattan. Right on the westside lookin over the good ol' HH. I havent played there in years.

Sure all these places are close to the city, but most people in manhattan do not have cars. I had to give up my baby to move... sad day.

Syosset is a trip and a half, even for someone in Western Long Island.

Im telling you, IceLand in New Hyde Park is by far the closest.

$10. Full Equipment + Face shield mandatory

Give 'em a ring.

516-746-1100

syosset is only like 10 miles north for me. & newbridge 3 miles west. i guess i'm lucky in that regard. i just wish i had more time. i usually play a few nights a week at the roller rink in massapequa & i rent out sportime on sundays & have a group that play there.

if anyone ever wants to get together, it seems we have a decent number of people around here.

syosset is only like 10 miles north for me. & newbridge 3 miles west. i guess i'm lucky in that regard. i just wish i had more time. i usually play a few nights a week at the roller rink in massapequa & i rent out sportime on sundays & have a group that play there.

if anyone ever wants to get together, it seems we have a decent number of people around here.

Coming from NYC/Queens, Syosset isnt a close drive. I live in Garden City, and Syosset is a trip.

I play at Sport Time in bethpage. I didnt know they hockey at the one in Massapequa?

Depending on my schedule, i may be down with a NY game. Preferably roller, since everyone around here will rape you, without lube, on ice rental(s).

Coming from NYC/Queens, Syosset isnt a close drive. I live in Garden City, and Syosset is a trip.

I play at Sport Time in bethpage. I didnt know they hockey at the one in Massapequa?

Depending on my schedule, i may be down with a NY game. Preferably roller, since everyone around here will rape you, without lube, on ice rental(s).

the sportime in massapequa doesn't have hockey, the park (marjorie post) on unqua between sunrise & merrick rd has 2 rinks, outdo r.

Thockey, what team do you play on at Sportime and what division? Better yet, what color jerseys do you wear, as I don't know what team wears what. I play on the Motherpuckers in A/B. We wear Silver w/ Red shoulders. (don't bother looking us up, we're pretty wretched, but it's our first year together, and first year playing indoor for a lot of us)

Syosset is definitely a trip. I'm in Astoria, but I wouldn't be against taking the drive once in awhile. I drive to jersey for indoor roller every week, so why not syosset for some ice?

I do get to skate at Iceland every friday night- a bunch of us rent it out and split the cost amongst everyone that shows up. I get my chances there, but I'm kind of looking for practice time that I don't have since I only play in Hockey Long Island and in my friday night skate. Maybe I don't get the whole concept of the stick n puck. I was under the impression that you kinda just skate around with a stick n puck to practice stickhandling, shooting, etc, in a noncompetitive way or whatever.

And I'm down for a NY game - Ice or Roller. Maybe we could do both.

Thockey, what team do you play on at Sportime and what division? Better yet, what color jerseys do you wear, as I don't know what team wears what. I play on the Motherpuckers in A/B. We wear Silver w/ Red shoulders. (don't bother looking us up, we're pretty wretched, but it's our first year together, and first year playing indoor for a lot of us)

I skipped out on the summer season, but im taking a team of local kids back for the next season.

Last time we were there i think we got the navy and yellow/gold jerseys.

Thockey, what team do you play on at Sportime and what division? Better yet, what color jerseys do you wear, as I don't know what team wears what.  I play on the Motherpuckers in A/B. We wear Silver w/ Red shoulders. (don't bother looking us up, we're pretty wretched, but it's our first year together, and first year playing indoor for a lot of us)

I skipped out on the summer season, but im taking a team of local kids back for the next season.

Last time we were there i think we got the navy and yellow/gold jerseys.

i skipped summer season too, i'm playing skatesafe now. it's a lot better than sportime.

i play at sportime sundays, but thats because me & a group of people rent the rink so we can have games. it got too annoying trying to find outdoor places to play, & too hot.