Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cook22

Don Simmons

They are knock offs, but their stuff is decent. And you can't find a better place to buy pro pattern sticks. I wouldn't buy pads from them but that's just my opinion. BTW their jock is known to be one of the better jocks you can buy for protection.

Also check out brands like Smith and Battram, they do a lot of custom stuff but you can get ANYTHING you want and I hear amazing things about them. But that's going to cost you more than $500 :P

Well i was woundering that if i do get the velo 2s should i save my self a couple hundred dollars by getting the simmons or would it be worth it to just get the actual velo 2s

Check out their forums for more info. link

I've never tried them so I really can't tell you about them, but I do hear that they build quality products... They just don't design their own stuff, they copy others.

Check out their forums for more info. link

I've never tried them so I really can't tell you about them, but I do hear that they build quality products... They just don't design their own stuff, they copy others.

and cut corners on the materials in the copies according to some of the more knowledgable local goalies who tried them.

They "look" like Velo's...they are not constructed the same. If you are looking for the "feel" of a Velo pad buy Vaughn. No comparison. The DS pads are much much stiffer and play differently. The reason is that Vaughn uses "shred" foam stuffing, DS uses "sheet" foam stuffing. The result:

Vaughn = natural feeling, the pad moves and twist a little with your leg movements.

Simmons = rigid feeling, kinda like wearing phone books, no give or twist.

So then it comes down to economics. Is it really worth the difference in price for the overall feel of the pad? Some will say yes, some will say no. In the end, it's really up to you...

I've heard of quite a few people that are very happy with their simmons gear... but I would head the warnings.

If I was you I'd try to get my hands on some different pads and try them out, even if it takes a little road trip(obviously, make sure to call ahead). If you're spending that much money you might as well be happy with what you're getting.

If you're buying brand new, they're a much better deal...but it depends on your level of play. Beginner to intermediate..I'd get those instead of overpriced Vauhgns....BUT, if you're a more advanced goalie, you can instantly tell the difference in play.

Simmons pads are very stiff and almost have too much padding, so they lack in feel.

If you were to look at Velos...Smith's are well worth the look since the designer ins the originator of the Velocity's and much cheaper than stock Velos.

you could even look at a pair of vaughn vault goalie pads since these are pretty much a clone of the old velocity 1 goalie pad just made offshore,itll be abit pricey being around the 700-800 marker it will perform and have better foams.Since vaughns offshore pads still have the foms from vaughns factory being used

i am from buffalo so simmons has always been the best option for pads for me. Thier protective (c&a...pants...jock) are tops and i love using their gear. they have begun to develop their own image and design of pads. they did do knockoffs in the past and the simmons ultra lite and the 992 were knockoffs of the velo and koho 590. my first pro fly pad was a ultra lite and when i upgraded to the vleos im currently using i noticed no difference. also in the past their pads did not hold up the same as the big boys but now as their prices creep up on the major manufacturers they have made a more quality piece of equipment. for example their 993 is really based on thier own R&D and its being used by niagara u's tenders along with jeff vannyatnen (sp) who is plaing with rio grande of teh CHL. i would recommend thier stuff. they make a great product.

If you're going to go the Don Simmons route(and its feasible), I'd strongly reccomend going to their shop in Fort Erie. The showroom is like a goalie's heaven and the salesguys are usually pretty helpful. Plus, you can try on the pads and compare a few different mfg's while you're there.

I went up to the store in Fort Erie, ON this past weekend with my friend. I was impressed by the selection there, I have never seen so much goalie equipment in one place ever. They had a great selection of simmons branded stuff, as well as many other brands you would expect to find. The guy working was really helpful, as my friend is just getting back into tending for this first time in like eight years.

Even better, they shipped the items to him for free to save on sales tax and duty. Purchase was made Sunday, and it arived at 11am today (Tuesday).

Definitely would recommend shopping there, even if you arent going to get the simmons branded equipment.

i used to have simmons pads, they were nice pads but they wear out the padding softens up it only lasted me a season and a half

i used to have simmons pads, they were nice pads but they wear out... the padding softens up it only lasted me a season and a half