Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

Quick training question

Someone told me that a stairmaster is the best machine in the gym to replicate the hockey stride, so focuses and builds the muscles most used in skating.

It seems to make sense.

Is it true?

Its a killer of a machine, but will be good for endurance too

thanks

for endurance building, or cardio?

i'd prefer an elliptical probably for either.

I use the elliptical too, but thought if what I was told is true, this should help strengthen the skating muscles too.

Thats what I am looking for, while also getting a cardio workout

Slide board approximates a hockey stride more than a stairmaster, I would think. But the stairmaster is great for working all of the same muscles you use in hockey.

Personally I believe you set yourself up for injury if you train exclusively for hockey on a particular type of machine because you're very likely going to end up having some muscles and muscle groups being overdeveloped and others underdeveloped. Try riding a bike, running hills, doing squats and lunges and leg presses too.

Slide board approximates a hockey stride more than a stairmaster, I would think. But the stairmaster is great for working all of the same muscles you use in hockey.

Personally I believe you set yourself up for injury if you train exclusively for hockey on a particular type of machine because you're very likely going to end up having some muscles and muscle groups being overdeveloped and others underdeveloped. Try riding a bike, running hills, doing squats and lunges and leg presses too.

I don't train exclusively for hockey. I do cardio training 5 times a week (now, only started about a month ago) and weight training twice a week.

For the cardio I usually do 30 minutes on an elliptical and 30 on a bike. But I would change it to do 30 on the elliptical, and then do the stairmaster/bike at alternating sessions.

I am still beginnerish level, maybe just out of that level, but would definately be the weak link as far as skating goes. So want to improve that, so figured if I could incorporate exercises into my routine that will enhance hockey muscles, it will be a good thing.

Now, dumb question by me, where do I get a slide board?

+1, great point.

that a stairmaster is the best machine in the gym to replicate the hockey stride

If thats what your after, you need a powerskater

its wonderfull.

although they are not in normal gyms

youd have to buy it

that a stairmaster is the best machine in the gym to replicate the hockey stride

If thats what your after, you need a powerskater

its wonderfull.

although they are not in normal gyms

youd have to buy it

I have a Powerskater and I think its probably my best hockey investment ever. WEll, I guess my parents best investment ever. I try and get in about 500 strides a day on it, which takes a mere 5-10 minutes. Iv'e worked up to the blue cord so far and it really really works your leg and skating muscles. It also improves your stride a ton. One week and you will notice and imediate difference in your skating and overall body position on the ice. I highly recomend this machine.

A stair master is not the best machine to replicate a skating stride. Sure it may work the same muscles but not in the same way. When you are skating your are pushing out as to when your are walking or running stairs you are pushing up. They will definitly help build the same muscle groups that's for sure and as far as I'm concerned the stair master works pretty much all the same muscles squats or lunges would but at a lesser degree and squats and lunges are deemed to be one of if not the best overall leg exercise. Power skating is pretty much the only thing that will help develop power in your stride, be it with a machine or actual power skating on ice. That's my take on it anyway.

I have a Powerskater and I think its probably my best hockey investment ever. WEll, I guess my parents best investment ever. I try and get in about 500 strides a day on it, which takes a mere 5-10 minutes. Iv'e worked up to the blue cord so far and it really really works your leg and skating muscles. It also improves your stride a ton. One week and you will notice and imediate difference in your skating and overall body position on the ice. I highly recomend this machine.

Ha yea same. **Parents best investment**

I like to use it alot to, but took a break. Im getting back into it now though.

Did you ever find out how to use that crossover thing? I couldnt figure it out, and if i did get it right i dont thnk it helped very much.

and can i buy your black cord? lol

i lost mine

Man some of you guys have pretty good parents. I thought I was a pretty good hockey dad but I drew the line on getting the power skater because of the price tag. I'm sure it is a great machine if you have $800 lying around.

Nobody mentioned plyos but that's part of any good hockey training program.

I recently dumped a power skater after my kid refused to use it. I tried it too, and it does NOT feel like skating on the ice, so I do not blame him.

You could probably do better doing split squats on a squat machine in the health club.

Running stadium stairs is also great, especially if you skip a step every once in a while on the way up. It is important to only run stadium stairs where the stairs are wood, not concrete, unless you want to damage yourself. If you have to do it on concrete (your coach is making you do it there), get a great pair of sneakers to absorb the shock (like New Balance ones with Absorb, or possibly some of the new ones with the plastic spring posts in the sole).

I recently dumped a power skater after my kid refused to use it. I tried it too, and it does NOT feel like skating on the ice, so I do not blame him.

You could probably do better doing split squats on a squat machine in the health club.

Running stadium stairs is also great, especially if you skip a step every once in a while on the way up. It is important to only run stadium stairs where the stairs are wood, not concrete, unless you want to damage yourself. If you have to do it on concrete (your coach is making you do it there), get a great pair of sneakers to absorb the shock (like New Balance ones with Absorb, or possibly some of the new ones with the plastic spring posts in the sole).

I don't understand this at all. Maybe it felt weird because you skte the wrong way and this is showing correct form. The way I skate on the Powerskater is the same way I skate on the ice. Its suppsoed to make you do long strides and to fully return your skate before pushing witht he other leg.

Well, with the help of my comcast digital recorder and last years Boston Bruins games, I analyzed a whole lot of NHL players while they were skating at top speed. I saw a lot of variation in technique, but I did not see a single one that mimicked the motion of the "power skater". The motions on the power skater are too exagerated, and the angles are too fixed to fit in with what an individual skater's preferences are. For instance, what if you do not wish to push off at exactly 45 degrees? Are you supposed to change the way you skate just to match what some mechanical designer tells you to do??? Also, what if you do not want to bring both feet so close together at the start (a move you NEVER see an NHL player doing)?

Check out some NHL game tapes yourself and look at the skating form!

So is a slide board better?

It seems like you have more freedom than the powerskater frame gives you, but you are still going straight out to the side and not really back at all.

I would like to hear what really does work, as my hips are sore after the first few long skates after a long layoff no matter what kind of prep exercises I have been doing. Recently single leg step squats have done a good job for me.

Yea, the Powerskater isnt the perfect training device. Since everybody skates differently and especially since nobody skates perectly.

But what is a better training device? for hockey

Powerskater is the best skating machine there is ((unless you have one of those amazing skating up hill things which there are like 3 in the country))

And I think the powerskater worked for me very well. Pretty much because when I needed it, I wasnt getting the full extension on my stride. I dont still bend my knees as low as the powerskater would like you to but if you need to work on lengthen'ing your stride then its the way to go

The main thing it did for me was taught me to fully return before pushing with the other leg. I had short choppy strides (rode the railroad track) and the Powerskater improved my stride length and return enormously.

If you like it and it works for you, then great. I am just saying that not all people would like one, and they are pretty expensive to buy one to just try it out!

There are other ways to learn a good stride. Like have someone skate behind you and grab hold of your belt or a short rope tied around you while you try to drag him around the rink. If you are using a poor stride, you will not have enough power to do it, and you will naturally start using a more powerful stride.

You are right it is a pretty risky investment just to try it out.

And the drill you just described seems like it would be pretty effective but what if some of us arnt close to a rink. If we cant practice a drill like that where it takes time to actually work.

The powerskater works good for at home. I guess you might need to be sort of lucky for it to work for you then?

If you do not have ice to skate on, you are going to have a hard time working on your stride! Good luck.

I guess could find a steep hill, load a backpack with 50 lbs of rocks, and try "striding" up the hill, with your feet planting in the turf in a sideways fashion (as if you had skates on), and just make sure you to for a full leg extension. You might need soccer cleats on your shoes so they stick in like a push-off skate blade would.

If you did this all-out for 15 seconds, and rested 2 minutes, the over again, it would build up your skating explosiveness.