Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Muzza_77

Physical Endurance

I have heard about them and how good they are, though I have also heard about how much they can stuff you up if you do them wrong.

in that case if it would be your first time doing plyometrics maybe talk to a personal trainer, I first learned about them during a dryland training camp, and now I know what to do and what not to do, so I can continue by myself on my own time

Do things that reflect hockey. Plyometrics are not conditioning exercises. If done to the point that they become that, you are fatigued and the only thing you will become is injured.

Fartlek running (alternating short sprints with jogs and walking), 400m and 200m runs with a 1:4 work to rest ratio, and 40 to 100 m sprints with the same work to rest ratio will all get you into "hockey shape", which is primarily anaerobic.

Variations of sprinting for a short time and running for a longer time continuously, such as:

"You can start by jogging for five minutes, then sprint for 20 yards, slow jog for 100 yards, cruise for 200 yards, backward running for 20 yards, turn and sprint for 30 yards, walk for 50 yards and then jog again for 300 yards more. When you finish your training session, stretch the hamstrings, groins, quads, calves and lower back for between 20 to 30 seconds to allow your muscles to recuperate properly."

Also, just getting onto an exercycle set at medium resistance and pedalling for 45 minutes non-stop.

Then, of course, a good 5 mile run is always in order.

Play hockey..

Nothing builds endurance and helps your stickhandling skills/ skating skills than... playing hockey.

High rep squats will help both your cardio and muscular endurance, and they have been known to expand the chest from time to time. Check it out.

Running intervals will defintely help. For example:

Run for one minute hard, then slow down to a light jog for three minutes. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Depending on your physical fitness you can adjust the number of intervals you do and the ratio. For example you may want to sprint for 30 seconds and jog for two.

More info can be found here:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/conditi...a/aa030802a.htm

Good luck.

I don't usually skate in the summer but a few summers back I wanted to stay in game shape so I jogged and biked all summer but when the season started I still struggled for a couple of weeks before I felt good on the ice.

Then the following summer I decided to get some inline skates. After having skated at a leisurely pace throughout the summer I arrived ,and to my surprise, at my first skate of the season in great shape. I just had to make the adjustment from my inline skate pitch to my ice skate pitch which took about half an hour.

With hindsight it makes perfect sense.

Good luck.