Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DDude26

alright i need some pc nerds!

hey guys, i have a crappy dell pc which is freakin slow and i'm very techinal savvy B) but i don't know exactly what i would need to get this computer up and running fast! i may get high speed internet in the future and i'm going to do a computer clean-up when school starts and i get the time to do it (ie delete programs that i don't need, cookies, and other crap) any help would be apprecited.

here's the tech stuff

Dell Dimension 2400 (yes the cheapest one they had)

Intel Celeron (i wanted platium 4)

2.40 GHz (i have no clue wtf that is)

128 mb of ram (i know i need more and i need to get it for cheap)

if u need more information just ask and i'll get it for you right away

thanks!

Ghz is the speed of you processor I think and 2.4 isn't that bad, maybe a bigger harddrive and alot more RAM, about 1024mb is average on new pc's.

BTW I'm not an expert either so I may not be 100%

i need to beat up dell for selling this with so little ram (my grandfather bought this for the family) where can i get ram for cheap?

Ghz is the speed of you processor I think and 2.4 isn't that bad, maybe a bigger harddrive and alot more RAM, about 1024mb is average on new pc's.

BTW I'm not an expert either so I may not be 100%

Your spot on.

As for the processor, don't worry about it. Unless you are gaming or running cycle heavy programs (like cad or 3d rendering), you wont need a pentium 4.

RAM.. The "cheap" computers today come with 512mb of ram. Some laptops come with 256mb, but those are very very very budget minded.

Your computer will need pc 2100 ram.. heres a good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820141218

I would just ditch the other 128mb stick.. Sell it on ebay for $15 or something.

You will see a HUGE difference in performance with this cheap upgrade.

Oh yeah..

In case you were wondering, its very easy to install. You just pull out your old ram and plug in the new stuff... Thats it.

yea i know how to open up the computer and change stuff out it's just i need to know what to get i think i have to pay a little visit to the pc store in town.

edit: thanks bad kitty!! looks like ure a good kitty after all lol

yea i know how to open up the computer and change stuff out it's just i need to know what to get i think i have to pay a little visit to the pc store in town.

They will know what to get you.

As for ram, if you ask for "pc2100" ram, they will know exactly what you are talking about. You might be able to get it for around the same price from your local pc shop.

i'm just curious why pc2100 ram?

Because your processor does not support DDR. You could buy pc3200 400mhz ram, but it will default back to the pc2100 266/300mhz speed anyways because your front side bus cannot run at 800mhz.

Confused? Just go talk to your computer store..

that is cheap for the waulity of ram. The other stuff they sent you is crap. You are going to be getting a lot of RAM failures with that stuff. But whatever you want to do.

crucial manufactures the RAM themselves, and they have GREAT QC. I have used PQI ram and a host of others peoples stuff, and I have had nothing but problems.

crucial manufactures the RAM themselves, and they have GREAT QC. I have used PQI ram and a host of others peoples stuff, and I have had nothing but problems.

and pqi doesn't make their own rams?

crucial manufactures the RAM themselves, and they have GREAT QC.  I have used PQI ram and a host of others peoples stuff, and I have had nothing but problems.

and pqi doesn't make their own rams?

I am not sure what factory this ram is from, they make some stuff in house I know, or they usta when they were PMI. It is pretty common knowledge that their RAM isnt the best. They have a pretty high failure rate and it isnt the best preforming RAM out there.

alright i still don't feel safer buying that stuff online so when i go to the pc store what should i ask for and is it okay if i buy some used ram? i'll make sure to ask him "will it work" and "can i return it back to you and get a replacement?"