Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tsanga

Changing radius of hollow

Just recently switched from 1/2" to 5/8". How much time should I give myself to get used to the shallower cut? I've skated in three sessions now and still can't get used to the lack of "grippiness" yet.

maybe I'm just a poor skater, but I don't notice much of a difference between 1/8" on my hallow. There is a slight difference, but not enough that I worry about it much.

I asked for 9/16" at the LHS but they recommended just to skip to 5/8".

I too have asked for a 9/16" hollow at my lhs and I was told by my friend who works there that the cams on their machines only allow them to change hollows in 1/8" increments.

I asked for 9/16" at the LHS but they recommended just to skip to 5/8".

I too have asked for a 9/16" hollow at my lhs and I was told by my friend who works there that the cams on their machines only allow them to change hollows in 1/8" increments.

He can't figure out that 9/16" is halfway between the 1/2" and the 5/8" mark?

Good for you! Every skater out there should try to go to a flatter hollow, since it gives you more speed IF you can still make the turns.

Work on your ankle muscles. Try balancing on one foot for 1 minute at a time. Do single leg body-weight squats. It is ankle strength and skating skill that let you turn just as well with the flatter hollow.

Unfortunately, your problem could also be caused by the skate shop that sharpened the blades. Did they do a good job? Are the two edges at the same height? A lot of shops do a horrendous job, and one edge is 3 to 5 thousandths of an inch lower than the other, and it feels like you have no edge turning in one direction! Maybe try another shop???

I went from 1/2" to 9/16ths before my last skate and in warmups I tried to make a turn in the corner and fell flat on my ass and slid into the boards. My sharpener had actually suggested it to me, and I may even go to the 5/8ths in a couple of weeks.

It only took me about 20 minutes to get used to it though, and I could really feel the extra glide. It may have been easier for me to adjust, however, since I play indoor roller, outdoor roller, and ice at least once a week each, and going back and forth doesn't really bother me.

this was crazy in my part but I went from 1/2" right too 3/4", I didnt find it that hard adjusting to the lesser hollow even though I am a crazy at my sharpenings

Work on your ankle muscles.  Try balancing on one foot for 1 minute at a time.  Do single leg body-weight squats.  It is ankle strength and skating skill that let you turn just as well with the flatter hollow.

I actually already do lots of these. I work out on balance boards, toss medicine balls while balancing on a foam pad, step lunge onto squishy surfaces, etc. Works out every muscle in your body that way.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'm going to stick with it, maybe through the next sharpening to rule out any errors in sharpening. I really do like the glide, just don't feel like my toes have any bite when I sprint from a standstill.

work with the edges and the angle that you're digging into the ice. there's bite there, you just have to find it.

Thanks...a lightbulb just came on in my head. ;)

I'm a pretty good skier so I understand really well how to angulate and edge, and to use the right amount of leg extension to maximize carve. I don't have a lot of trouble with turning with the shallower cut, but it just occured to me that I have to apply the same principles to my sprint starts, which is a movement I don't ever use in skiing.

shoud i use a shawoler hollow for a harder ice(very cold rink)

i dont know if that made sense

i used a 5/8ths hallow in summer and the ice is softer so the skates digs into the ice easier

should i still use the 5/8ths hollow or go 1/2 for the very cold rink

i used a 5/8ths hallow in summer and the ice is softer so the skates digs into the ice easier

If you feel comfortable with the shallower cut on the colder ice then stay with it, but because the ice is harder you may have to revert back to the old deeper hollow for awhile for more bite. How much you weigh and style of skater (Upright, serious lean, or somewhere in between?) will be the main determining factors on what hollow you should use.

If you feel comfortable with the shallower cut on the colder ice then stay with it, but because the ice is harder you may have to revert back to the old deeper hollow for awhile for more bite. How much you weigh and style of skater (Upright, serious lean, or somewhere in between?) will be the main determining factors on what hollow you should use.

im 105lbs and have a pretty big lean when i skate

should i go down to a 9/16

My son and I use the same hollow year-round, 1". As the ice hardens up from summer to fall to winter, most people go for a deeper hollow (less radius), but we stay the same throughout because the change in ice hardness is gradual. If you take a break between summer ice and winter ice, though, you will probably prefer to adjust the hollow.

He weighs 80 lbs.

We aren't goalies. I grew up with shallow hollows, and a sharpener got my son's skates mixed up with mine and gave him the 1" hollow once, and me the 3/4". He liked it, so he has used 1" ever since.

There was an article posted in a hockey shop talking about the NHL players' hollows, and there were quite a few 1".

im 105lbs and have a pretty big lean when i skate

should i go down to a 9/16

I would suggest trying the 9/16" because with the extreme lean you are attacking the ice at a steeper angle when you push off and you may need the deeper hollow. Sometimes 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the way to go.

We aren't goalies. I grew up with shallow hollows, and a sharpener got my son's skates mixed up with mine and gave him the 1" hollow once, and me the 3/4". He liked it, so he has used 1" ever since.

There was an article posted in a hockey shop talking about the NHL players' hollows, and there were quite a few 1".

Yvan12 see I told you that article was a good idea...LOL kidding.....JL wanted it off the counters and look even here someone reads that article. That article can be found on the blademaster website. Let me try and find the link!....

http://www.blademaster.ca/Skate_Sharpening_Tips.pdf

Yvan12 see I told you that article was a good idea...LOL kidding.....JL wanted it off the counters and look even here someone reads that article. That article can be found on the blademaster website. Let me try and find the link!....

http://www.blademaster.ca/Skate_Sharpening_Tips.pdf

You are right again, OTG, but we should point out that the hollows used by the pros are not necessarily what the average player should use. The pros skate 5-7 times a week and have their particular technique down pat, plus they all have legs like tree trunks and in most cases skate on softer ice (due to the size of the buildings they skate in) than we mere mortals do. But, having said that, all players should have the opportunity to have the option of changing hollows to experiment and the only way to get that is to go to a reputable skate sharpener, one who knows and understands what he is doing.