Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JGraz15

Zherdev Re-signed

Official word: http://www.bluejackets.com/news/press/arts/3171.0.html

Supposedly it is in excess of $7M...but still, think GMDM was right on his numbers...and Zherdev cost himself training camp and maybe a game or two depending on the immigration stuff. But man...have we got lots of forward depth. Nash, Vyborny, Fedorov, Carter, Modin, Brule, and Zherdev!

Be very interesting to see how long, if ever, it takes for teams like Columbus, Minnesota, Phoenix, etc. to meet Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, etc. in the middle and have to fight for playoff spots. The power has already shifted slightly to the youth of Anaheim, Calgary, Nashville and San Jose but this could be the beginning of an overhaul.

As far as Zherdev goes, he could score 30 goals or be content with his contract and end up on the 3rd/4th line. Then again, Columbus has too much speed overall to keep his motivation Yashin-like.

That's a lot of guys who have never lived up to expectations.

Scuse me but if you say Fedorov, Nash and Vyborny have never lived up to expectations, there is a problem. Fedorov was the soul of the Red Wings in late 90's and early 2000's. He has been for 5-6 years one of the top 5 players in the world and he's one of the best and most graceful skater who ever played hockey. Nash has had great seasons since he entered the league and Vyborny is doing very well considering he's rate by many as a second line player. Brule has prove he's good and he will keep getting better. And Zherdev has to give a bit more this year but he has had a decent season last year and he has showed lots of sign of brillance.

Colombus is a team to watch, they will battle for playoffs this year and they will be an exciting team to watch.

Scuse me but if you say Fedorov, Nash and Vyborny have never lived up to expectations, there is a problem. Fedorov was the soul of the Red Wings in late 90's and early 2000's. He has been for 5-6 one the top 5 players in the world and he's one of the best and most graceful skater who ever played hockey. Nash has had great seasons since he entered the league and Vyborny is doing very well considering he's rate by many as a second line players. Brule has prove he's good and he will keep getting better. And Zherdev has to give a bit more this year but he had a decent season last year and showed lots of dign of brillance.

Colombus is a team to watch, they will battle for playoffs this year and they will be an exciting team to watch.

Sergei had two great years and a couple pretty good years and a lot of disappointing years, once you factor in his talent. I really don't care how pretty his skating is, I care about production and performance. During his run in Detroit a lot of people complained that he didn't put in the effort every night and I have yet to hear anyone contradict that since then.

Nash had 39 points his rookie year, 57 his second and 54 last year in 54 games. Last season was good, but only 54 games is still disappointing to me. I wouldn;t consider any of those three seasons "great."

As for Vyborny; 32, 31, 46 and 53 point seasons aren't what I would call "doing very well", for a second line player.

I think they will finish better than Chicago but below St Louis, Detroit and Nashville in the Central. The west is going to be very difficult this year and I see zero chance of them making the playoffs without major injury problems for other teams.

Scuse me but if you say Fedorov, Nash and Vyborny have never lived up to expectations, there is a problem. Fedorov was the soul of the Red Wings in late 90's and early 2000's. He has been for 5-6 one the top 5 players in the world and he's one of the best and most graceful skater who ever played hockey. Nash has had great seasons since he entered the league and Vyborny is doing very well considering he's rate by many as a second line players. Brule has prove he's good and he will keep getting better. And Zherdev has to give a bit more this year but he had a decent season last year and showed lots of dign of brillance.

Sergei had two great years and a couple pretty good years and a lot of disappointing years, once you factor in his talent. I really don't care how pretty his skating is, I care about production and performance. During his run in Detroit a lot of people complained that he didn't put in the effort every night and I have yet to hear anyone contradict that since then.

Nash had 39 points his rookie year, 57 his second and 54 last year in 54 games. Last season was good, but only 54 games is still disappointing to me. I wouldn;t consider any of those three seasons "great."

As for Vyborny; 32, 31, 46 and 53 point seasons aren't what I would call "doing very well", for a second line player.

I think they will finish better than Chicago but below St Louis, Detroit and Nashville in the Central. The west is going to be very difficult this year and I see zero chance of them making the playoffs without major injury problems for other teams.

Seeing it like that Chadd, you have good points. But a thing is sure in my mind, Sergei Fedorov has had a superstar impact on the team all the years he was in Detroit. He played great defense every game, to me he is a better defensive center than Forsberg and he has always been an offensive threat for the Wings. The guy has reached 1000 points which is very good nowadays. Still, he could have made more because he's so gifted but he has had a superstar carrer in my mind and he's not an underachievers. Sergei has been has one of the most dynamic player the NHL have seen in the last decade. But with Nash and Vyborny, you have good points.

Well there was no question Feds busted his @$$ every night for Columbus once he was acquired. He saved Zherdev and Nash's butt in the defensive end many times...his numbers don't really show what he did. Him covering for the youngsters allowed so many odd man breaks.

Nash...the man has a Rocket Richard on the trophy shelf...self-explanatory. 54 games was due to a freaky play in training camp, got his skate caught near the boards when he was hit by a prospect...needless to say, he probably wore a yellow jersey the whole camp this time around.

Vyborny is underrated. Like Fedorov, he plays a good all-around game...kills penalties out there with Fedorov. Just needs to use his awesome wrist shot more. He's been a captain with the Czech team.

Well there was no question Feds busted his @$$ every night for Columbus once he was acquired. He saved Zherdev and Nash's butt in the defensive end many times...his numbers don't really show what he did. Him covering for the youngsters allowed so many odd man breaks.

Nash...the man has a Rocket Richard on the trophy shelf...self-explanatory. 54 games was due to a freaky play in training camp, got his skate caught near the boards when he was hit by a prospect...needless to say, he probably wore a yellow jersey the whole camp this time around.

Vyborny is underrated. Like Fedorov, he plays a good all-around game...kills penalties out there with Fedorov. Just needs to use his awesome wrist shot more. He's been a captain with the Czech team.

I agree with you. I can't debate Chadd with his arguments on stats though. If you look at stats, Vyborny and Nash are underachievers.

The thing is I would take Vyborny, Nash, Zherdev in front of of many 70 points scorers in the league.

Zherdev : awesome skills, great vision and he can put the puck in the net.

Nash : one of the best power forward in the league.

Vyborny : underrated, great hands, great skills, awesome playmaker. Vyborny in my opinion plays like Datsyuk. Less skills but pretty similar to him.

The 41 goal season was the same year he was a -35. Ten of his 16 assists that year were on the powerplay as were 19 of his 41 goals. You need to produce at even strength if you're "the man." I think he has the potential to be very good, but he hasn't shown that he can be relied upon to do it all season long yet.

As for Zherdev and Vyborny, production is more important than looking pretty on the ice. Look at Samsonov, everyone talks about how great he is but he has yet to crack 30 goals. Skill is useless without production to me, but I seem to recall this discussion happening before.

The 41 goal season was the same year he was a -35. Ten of his 16 assists that year were on the powerplay as were 19 of his 41 goals. You need to produce at even strength if you're "the man." I think he has the potential to be very good, but he hasn't shown that he can be relied upon to do it all season long yet.

As for Zherdev and Vyborny, production is more important than looking pretty on the ice. Look at Samsonov, everyone talks about how great he is but he has yet to crack 30 goals. Skill is useless without production to me, but I seem to recall this discussion happening before.

I really think it was due to the fact that Columbus was a cruddy team. I mean, when Anders Eriksson is your best defenseman, somethings wrong. Vyborny on that squad was a -26, and he's one of the better defenders on the team.

Columbus isn't Nash on an AHL team anymore; they could have four 30 goal scorers if Fedorov and Brule form a respectable 1-2 punch up the middle. The big question marks are their depth on defence and Leclaire in net.

If they can win around 13 or 14 games against Chicago and St Louis while competing with Detroit and Nashville this could be a playoff team. Despite major improvements and additions that could build a playoff team, the Central is still far and away the worst division in the West.

Also, don't forgot how well they played towards the end of last season with a central core that has only made great improvements. If the prospects are ready to emerge then this is THE surprise team to watch for.

Their defense is probably be the worst in the entire division. Maybe this year they will score enough for it to be less of a factor. I'd give them a 50/50 chance of finishing above the Blues, Chicago is still most likely finishing last.

I definitely think Fedorov has far surpassed expectations of him, considering he was drafted as a fourth rounder - whether or not that had to do with him being in the early part of the Russian exodus, I don't know, but I think a past that includes 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Selkes, 1 Hart and a Pearson award speaks for itself.

As for his numbers, I think a lot of the decline had to do with him taking less offensive responsibility and playing more of a well rounded game.

Nash, well, I'd say a Rocket Trophy in his second year in the league is pretty impressive, never mind his +/-. Everyone on Columbus has a shit +/-. The injuries have certainly hampered his development, but I don't think he's underachieved just yet. He could play a more well rounded game, but if we're going to judge him on that, we'd have to judge everyone on it, and in that regard, a whack of dynamite players haven't met expectations. I don't think the Jackets drafted him to fill a two-way role, I think they just envisioned him scoring buckets of goals - that's what he's there to do, and so far, I think he's delivered...

Vyborny has been a good second line player and is versatile enough to fill in spots anywhere - I don't know what more you could ask for, he was never pegged to be Dany Heatley.

Brule, well, I don't think you can judge him as being an underachiever just yet, considering he's a rookie...let's reserve judgement on that one, huh?

Carter is on and off, but had a good season with the Sedins, again, no one expects this guy to be Ilya Kovalchuk.

Modin, well, he's had his 30 goal season(s?).

Zherdev...same thing as Brule, I don't think it's fair to judge him yet, he's making progress and you can't expect every young, highly touted player to come into the league and pull and Ovechkin/Crosby. Give him time, and if he's not an 90 point man in 2 years time, maybe then you can just classify him as good, but not what he could've been.

Now if you want to talk about underachievers on CBJ, let's look at Rusty Klesla...

I definitely think Fedorov has far surpassed expectations of him, considering he was drafted as a fourth rounder - whether or not that had to do with him being in the early part of the Russian exodus, I don't know, but I think a past that includes 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Selkes, 1 Hart and a Pearson award speaks for itself.

As for his numbers, I think a lot of the decline had to do with him taking less offensive responsibility and playing more of a well rounded game.

Nash, well, I'd say a Rocket Trophy in his second year in the league is pretty impressive, never mind his +/-. Everyone on Columbus has a shit +/-. The injuries have certainly hampered his development, but I don't think he's underachieved just yet. He could play a more well rounded game, but if we're going to judge him on that, we'd have to judge everyone on it, and in that regard, a whack of dynamite players haven't met expectations. I don't think the Jackets drafted him to fill a two-way role, I think they just envisioned him scoring buckets of goals - that's what he's there to do, and so far, I think he's delivered...

Vyborny has been a good second line player and is versatile enough to fill in spots anywhere - I don't know what more you could ask for, he was never pegged to be Dany Heatley.

Brule, well, I don't think you can judge him as being an underachiever just yet, considering he's a rookie...let's reserve judgement on that one, huh?

Carter is on and off, but had a good season with the Sedins, again, no one expects this guy to be Ilya Kovalchuk.

Modin, well, he's had his 30 goal season(s?).

Zherdev...same thing as Brule, I don't think it's fair to judge him yet, he's making progress and you can't expect every young, highly touted player to come into the league and pull and Ovechkin/Crosby. Give him time, and if he's not an 90 point man in 2 years time, maybe then you can just classify him as good, but not what he could've been.

Now if you want to talk about underachievers on CBJ, let's look at Rusty Klesla...

Having lived in Columbus and watched a lot of CBJ hockey, I have to agree with all of your comments. I especially agree when it comes to Klesla. They resinged Klesa why exactly???

Berard...defintely a PP man only. Our PP stunk without him, but having him in the defensive end was not pretty. His back flared up again...and might miss the first game or two of the season...but is healthy enough apaprently that we returned a nice prospect in Kris Russell back to juniors instead of letting him run the PP while Berard is out.

Klesla has been an underachiever so far...but last season after his injuries was a beast. He played with Foote a lot on the first pairing and played a pretty good two way game and logged some pretty large amounts of ice time. From reports he's looking huge and mobile; ready to take the next step. Guess he might not be a #1 dman(yet), but looks to be a consistant top 3 guy.

Pretty much all of Columbus' players are underachievers, at least until now. We'll see what Zherdev will do but missing out camp will more than likely result in a slow start. Nash is a one trick pony. He sure can score but you better put the puck on the tape for him to capitalise. To call him a power forward is a bit far fetched in my opinion. I don't know if Ron Hainsey will be with the Jackets this year but he was probably their best defenseman after they acquired him last season. He finished the season with +13 and scored a really nice highlight reel goal too. I don't think Columbus will be in contention for a playoff spot unless Leclaire has a really really good season.

Conklin lost any confidence he had last season and I don't think Columbus (or the NHL in general) is the place to get that back right now.