Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

A question about the Laura Stamm DVD

OK, so I am going to get the Laura Stamm DVD regardless, and I don't play rollerhockey, but I have a question.

A few of the comments here said that its a great dvd, but would be better if you had it at the ice with you so you can practice as you learn, and such.

There is a couple of tennis courts near me that are always free, and have a smooth surface. If I brought the DVD up there, would it be beneficial to me to try and watch/skate watch/skate.

Or is it only going to help me on the ice.

Just curious if it would be worth bringing with me to the courts to learn

A good portion of the Laura Stamm program is learning your edges. Practicing that on roller won't do much for you.

I agree, she stresses the edges as well as leg extension (toe snaps) and a good posture.

Consider getting someone to video you skating so you can watch yourself and compare.

I find that to be a good way to go over your own mistakes, both for skating technique and game situations. Unfortunately finding someone to tape you can be a daunting task.

You'd be better off trying to find a public session at an ice rink to do it.

Like they said, balance and control is on the edges. Can't do that with roller.

Try to find a stick and puck or a public ice session that is not too crowded and work on it. I wouldn't say that you HAVE to have the dvd at the time. Buying the book helps because there is more detail in the book and you can take that with you.

David

I agree, she stresses the edges as well as leg extension (toe snaps) and a good posture.

You don't do this in roller? You are losing a lot of power in your stride...

i've read the book over and over countless times and like everyone else says, she emphasizes body positioning, use of the edges and getting the most out of your strides.

OK, so I am going to get the Laura Stamm DVD regardless, and I don't play rollerhockey, but I have a question.

A few of the comments here said that its a great dvd, but would be better if you had it at the ice with you so you can practice as you learn, and such.

There is a couple of tennis courts near me that are always free, and have a smooth surface. If I brought the DVD up there, would it be beneficial to me to try and watch/skate watch/skate.

being in the DC area, you should look into Wendy Marrco's DVD's. She teaches out of Ashburn and has worked with almost all of the successfull hockey players to come out of the DC area. The website is www.coldrushhockey.com

being in the DC area, you should look into Wendy Marrco's DVD's. She teaches out of Ashburn and has worked with almost all of the successfull hockey players to come out of the DC area. The website is www.coldrushhockey.com

Cheers, I just logged on, and realized, I have sat right next to her at a caps game last season.

Myself and the wife we at a game, and these 3 ladies came to the game late, all wearing "power play hockey school" polo shirts.

Being the sexist I am (actually my wife thought the same too), I assumed they were players wives or something, wearing their husbands hockey school gear.

I will check it out, thanks again.

If you can make it to a Wendy Marco clinic do it.

She ran the on ice for a coaches clinic. She really got everyone thinking about stride efficiency. I think some of her drills are really good for that. I'm hoping to get my kids to one of her clinics one time if I can next summer. If not, I'm hoping to get 5-8 kids to have a private clinic with her.

David

As someone on here mentioned....even in roller hockey, you need to work on body positioning and toe snap....The position of the body is even more important for inline, due to the need to get your weight over the top of the driving foot, and angle of leg thrust is slightly different for inline than ice, specifically to achieve the "toe snap". That is one of the major differences in the techniques.

Swinging your hips across the center line of your skating direction for inline will help you get more weight and thus grip on the driving foot. Maintaining the most weight on this foot during the complete leg extension/thrust becomes very important to sustain as much grip as possible and thus to be able to execute a "toe snap". This is really not that much different from many power skating schools for ice hockey, however you need to exaggerate the movement more for inline hockey to get the maximum benefit, and your thrust angle is slightly wider than with ice.

ol' inline and ice hockey clinic operator

You don't do this in roller? You are losing a lot of power in your stride...

I agree only on this part: A good portion of the Laura Stamm program is learning your edges.

I don't roller, I have no clue about that.

It's a powerskating term that you'll hear in any powerskating instruction. It's used to describe the way a skater last touches the ice with their toe in a "perfect" stride. The toe snap occurs when during your stride your skates goes past perpendicular to your leg, that's the best way I can think of to describe it maybe someone else can describe it in a better more acurate way than I can.

The "toe snap" accounts for between 5% and 10% of your skating power when executed correctly. It is simply finishing the stride by using your ankle and upper calf strength to drive off the ball/toes of your foot as you finish the stride....which essentially ends up with the toe being more or less pointed as you finish the stride. Just as you would do when sprinting, except it is executed with the leg at a different angle to the direction of motion, instead of straight "fore and aft" as when running.

The other thing that always bugged me in the Laura Stamm school of power skating was the way she used to teach turns.....where the whole body was "leaned" into the turn, as opposed to keeping the shoulders level, and executing the correct leg angle from the hips down.....Have not seen her most recent stuff, but that was one element of her teaching that always bugged me....

By keeping the shoulders level, it is much easier to stick handle effectively, and you are now "leading" the turn with your hip, which makes keeping your balance from an impending hit much easier, because your weight remains over the skates to a much greater degree. This also gives you more bite from your edges.

ura Stamm school of power skating was the way she used to teach turns.....where the whole body was "leaned" into the turn, as opposed to keeping the shoulders level, and executing the correct leg angle from the hips down.....Have not seen her most recent stuff, but that was one element of her teaching that always bugged me....

By keeping the shoulders level, it is much easier to stick handle effectively, and you are now "leading" the turn with your hip, which makes keeping your balance from an impending hit much easier, because your weight remains over the skates to a much greater degree. This also gives you more bite from your edges.

I think the "leaning the body into the turn" thing is a figure-skating influence.

There are still a lot of coaches who teach the "leaning the body into the turn" thing, and they quote Laura Stamm.

ura Stamm school of power skating was the way she used to teach turns.....where the whole body was "leaned" into the turn, as opposed to keeping the shoulders level, and executing the correct leg angle from the hips down.....Have not seen her most recent stuff, but that was one element of her teaching that always bugged me....

I think the "leaning the body into the turn" thing is a figure-skating influence.

There are still a lot of coaches who teach the "leaning the body into the turn" thing, and they quote Laura Stamm.

You are exactly right..and hence my pet peeve with figure skaters teaching power skating to hockey players....

I just has this discussion with a woman figure skater from Russia..a close friend of Oxana Byul(sp?), and herself a former National Junior Champion of the USSR, and a former fiance of a very famous Red Army team memeber and NHL player...it was funny, because when I brought this up, she got very excited...agreeing exactly that using figure skating techniques to teach hockey was not always a good thing..due exactly to the differences exercised by the full contact nature of hockey. She agreed that the principals were the same, but the execution of the techniques must vary.

if you have a video iPod, you could rip thhe dvd with a program like Handbrake, or something.... then convert it to iTunes... throw it on the iPod. The screen is a tad small, but you'll have the explanatory audio.

The other thing that always bugged me in the Laura Stamm school of power skating was the way she used to teach turns.....where the whole body was "leaned" into the turn, as opposed to keeping the shoulders level, and executing the correct leg angle from the hips down.....Have not seen her most recent stuff, but that was one element of her teaching that always bugged me....

I am fairly certain that her book emphasizes having level shoulders in turns. I know that they did at one of her clinics I did.

I am fairly certain that her book emphasizes having level shoulders in turns. I know that they did at one of her clinics I did.

You're right. I have the book right in front of me at the moment (second edition). Near the end of Chapter 2, it says that only the skate, knee, thigh, and hip should lean into the turn while the upper body should be essentially upright. It even shows a series of photos of a guy falling from leaning his upper body into the turn.

Like I said..not sure what her most recent position is, but a few years ago, I had parents arguing with me about the way I was making their loved ones make turns, and quoting Laura Stamm as their source of wisdom....due to the fact one of their charges had just finished one of her schools.....Glad to see she has changed..or at least is no longer being "misinterpreted"....I do not think I am alone in my earlier impressions however....I was not terribly sympathetic as I recall....