Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wicked 3 Pain

OK...so, bottom line...is it worth it to buy a pair of Wicked 3's and break them in until the are comfortable? I've tried on both the 3's & 1's and I can see where the complaints come from...they are brutal in the heel/ankle area...but I have no problem baking them and working them at practice and in pick-up before I play in them. I've tried on the Assassins and they feel a lot better in the store than the 3's, but I can get the 3's for $100 less! And I think that overall I'd be getting a better skate (I can't afford to spend the $399 on a pair of Lieutenants, otherwise I'd be comparing those).

I'm skating in 9500's now, but they are too big and I really need a new pair. I could always go with the Wicked 5's since people don't seem to have any trouble with those, but the 3's are lighter and stiffer which I like.

Any final opinions...?

Thanks!

I had my 3's for about a year and although i never had a problem with the heel or ankle or any pain [weird i know] i just jumped to the 1 for 2 reasons 1 my 3's were huge and 2 sick price. I think if you can deal with the pain go for the 3 its a great skate, also you can always just stretch the heel out that is always an option.

I just bought my son (age 12) a pair of Wicked 1's the first of December. He is getting alot of pain when he skates. It has come to a point he will not wear them anymore. His ankles get bruised every time he skates. We had them baked at the hockey store and have tried the wet sock treatment. I wish I had read this forumn before had and could have saved myself $300. As we are coming from ice hockey and have plenty of experience in buying skates we are very dissappointed in the Mission Wicked 1's. Alot of money for a skate that is not being used.

I just bought my son (age 12) a pair of Wicked 1's the first of December. He is getting alot of pain when he skates. It has come to a point he will not wear them anymore. His ankles get bruised every time he skates. We had them baked at the hockey store and have tried the wet sock treatment. I wish I had read this forumn before had and could have saved myself $300. As we are coming from ice hockey and have plenty of experience in buying skates we are very dissappointed in the Mission Wicked 1's. Alot of money for a skate that is not being used.

Is he in the junior Wicked 1's (sorry, not sure if they even exist in a jr. model or if they do if they are constructed the same)...but it would be very difficult I would think for a 12 year old to properly break in pro level skates like the Wicked 1.

Yes there is a Jr model. We usually have been buying top end skates for ice and have had no real issues like this with break in. I agree with you based on the posts I have read here that someone of his age it would be almost impossible to break these in.

It's my understanding then that Jr models are not made to the same specs from a stiffness standpoint as a Sr model...but if the Sr linel is exceptionally stiff, I would imagine that would translate to the Jr line as well, but I'm sure someone with more specific knowledge will jump in here before too long.

looking at the spec sheet on the Jr model, it still has carbon fiber quarters and a composite ankle. Those same materials are what has been the root cause of the Wicked 1/3 pain issues. The Wicked 5/7 models have a PVC material in the ankle that lends itself much better to molding around and not being so stiff. The Syndicate line I believe reading uses a less stiff composite or PVC in the ankle, so while they start a little stiff they conform much more quickly than the carbon ankles.

All that being said, if I was on a limited budget (as an above posted aluded to) looking for a solid pair of skates, I'd pick up Wicked 5's again. I really don't like the look of the Assassins, and most people do not want to endure the break in of Wicked 3's. If that break-in period is of no concern get the 3's, for what they are you can't beat the price and they do get much better after the initial work.

edit: Just to expand on the above between 5's and 3's, the 5's are more comfy out of the box, plenty stiff and supportive, have a bit thicker tongue but feel a little bulky in comparison; the 3's are a bit sleeker and lighter, have a better interior material lining the boot, but the tongue is really thin and the ankles will hurt at first unless you have a perfect foot for the Wicked skates.

Well...I bought the Wicked 3's (just couldn't pass up the price) and had them baked. First skate on them was about 2 hours at my son's H.S. practice. The first thing I noticed compared to the 9500's that I've been skating on was how much more responsive they were. I'm sure that partially due to the fact that they were actually the right size and fit my foot better, but I also think it's because the boot is thinner and stiffer so it was more reactive.

But then I started to feel the pain... :blink: It's unlike any pain I have ever had in any other skates...ice or roller. It's almost as if my ankle bones are pressing against a solid steel plate and I only feel it when turning or twisting. There also doen't seem to be much padding at the top of the boot and I can feel the top edge of the liner digging into my shin when I make certain turning movements. The good thing is that the rest of the fit feels great.

It is a pretty intense pain, but I'm taking people's word that eventually it will go away. I can already tell that if I can get them to feel OK I'm going to be much happier with the performance than the 9500's. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to skate in them again yet, but I have been wearing them at home for 30-45 minutes every night.

This weekend I should get in about 6 hours of skating if it doesn't get rained out so hopefully I'll feel better about them after that. :)

quick tips if youre gonna wear em around the house. put a sock in super hot water and then wring it out then wear the boots, it'll get em softened up a tad quicker.

pretty much anything you can do to get them heated up quicker will help. hair dryer would probably work.

Might be a good idea to bake 'em again if you can.

Mine REALLY hurt out of the box even just standing up in them not moving around, but after a bake they felt 10x better and I was able to play a full game in them.

Great performing skate if you can get them to fit properly.

Do these problems carry over to the new Mission line? I was thinking of picking up a pair of lieutenant's but now I'm not so sure...

not in the least, the Syndicate line is significantly more comfortable

Might be a good idea to bake 'em again if you can.

Mine REALLY hurt out of the box even just standing up in them not moving around, but after a bake they felt 10x better and I was able to play a full game in them.

Great performing skate if you can get them to fit properly.

I thought about doing that too. I've always thought that normally when you've baked them you shouldn't move your feet at all after you've laced them up to let them mold to your foot. But I'm wondering in this case if it would be better once they are heated up to try and work in the spots that are causing the pain?

From reading these posts and my own experience a lot of it comes down to whether your foot matches up with the skate. A local player picked up the Wicked 3's and could not deal with the pain. He sold them to another player and for this guy the skates were great for him right from the start...no pain, no break in.

I've been trying to break in the Wicked 5's for the past few weeks. Its been painful. I have been using the Nike hi-ho silver's which I liked a lot but they are too wide in the forefoot. These Missions are the right length and width. They are plenty stiff. I like the Vangard chassis. The volume (not sure what else to call it) is fine. Everything is great except these skates crush my ankle bones. I've played about 10 games. I wear them around the house....I've baked them once(*)....and then I limp around at work the next day because my ankles are bruised.

It would be fair to say that I am highly motivated to make these skates work. The past two games they have been feeling good--only moderate ankle pain. Wearing them right now after baking them a second time. Bottom line is the skates fit great except for how my ankle bones line up with the boot. I think I've gotten past the pain and the Wicked 5's are going to work for me.

Not sure if this helps anybody but for what it is worth it seems that the Mission 5's have some of the same "fit" issues as the 3's but may be more manageable.

Discovered this site after buying Wicked 1's. Reading all the posts I probably would have passed on the skate. Been playing the game a long time, new pair of skates, I expected some pain. So, baked once, skated once. Felt like I was wearing an Iron Maiden on my ankles, I was doubled over in agony for about half the skate. Owner of the rink saw me, came over and said 'stick w/ it, you'll need about 21-23 hrs to break those skates in.' There is no way I could last that long, after the first hr and several loosening and retightenings the inside of my right ankle was bleeding. Went home, decided to stick w/ 'em. All week long, put em on for as long as I could stand it, maybe a few minutes. Pain was not letting up. Looking inside the boot it seemed to me it looked pretty narrow still in the heel area. Kicking the skate on just never really locked my heel in. Don't know if the wheel was absorbing the force of the kicks or what. Tried pulling the bottom of the boot w/ my hands under the heel while shifting my foot back and forth, then put my weight on the back wheel w/ the front wheel off the ground. After a couple days of this my heel finally seated, maybe, just maybe about 1/16" deeper. Ankle pain gone. Went skating (one week after my very first skate) and absolutely no ankle pain! Just a snug boot that I could now work with. No 2nd bake, no punch outs, no padding. Very happy w/ the skates. Very stiff boot just took extra effort.

I'm just about there with ya! I've skated about 10 hours in the Wicked 3's now and I can make it through a whole 2 hour pick-up with very little discomfort. They are still a little stiff and there is a little pain in the usual spots when I first lace them up, but after a little warm-up they feel OK. I didn't bake them the second time, but I did use a hair dryer on them once. They aren't perfect yet, but I don't think it will take too much longer. :)