Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wicked 3 Pain

I can't really say without seeing where you blisters were...Blisters are usually caused by a skate not fitting your foot correctly...

The blistering was on the back of my foot by the heel, they were the same size as the 9500s that i had no problem with.

I can't really say without seeing where you blisters were...Blisters are usually caused by a skate not fitting your foot correctly...

The blistering was on the back of my foot by the heel, they were the same size as the 9500s that i had no problem with.

You should search the threads for topics on bone spurs. Incorrectly fitting skates can cause these nasty growths in that area. Be careful!

Ha! Hardly. Well we cleaned Remzy's clock last Thursday. It was tied at 3 going into the last period when my team decided to turn it up and we won 9 to 4. If you get a chance you should try out these skates. I have had such bad vibes about Mission skates for years but I think the Wicked 1's has remedied it. By the way, isn't it a little early to be up?

Remzi said they started out really well, but then gave up 9 unanswered goals. I asked if they had pulled their goalie :lol:

I would like to try the skates, glad you made the switch. 0400 is my normal start time :( Early bird catches the worm and all that...

I wonder how many other converts the Wicked 1's have created.

That should teach you to listen to customers Justin. They never really want what they think they want.

Chadd,

Have you tried the wicked one's or wicked three's? If so, what's your feedback?. I have tried them and I have been playing roller hockey for 16 years.

Nope, I haven't tried them. I don't get on wheels too much anymore, though I have been considering it again. Congratulations on playing inline for 16 years, though I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything.

My point is simply that most people aren't willing to sacrifice anything in order to add features to a skate. Sure everyone wanted it to be stiffer and more durable, but they weren't willing to sacrifice any comfort or weight to get it. Like everything else, it's a series of compromises. Want a skate that is going to stay stiff longer, it's probably going to take a while to break in. Want a light skate, durability is often sacrificed to save weight. People wanted a more durable skate and it sounds like Mission delivered on that request, they just had to sacrifice something to get there. I give Justin credit because at least he is honest about a given product when asked.

This is true, but through testing Justin said they were trying to fix it. I remain optimistic they can strike a balance in the future (like the 99' Wicked Lights). I would also like to see how long it generally takes people to break them in. It might be useful.

Congrulations are not necessary-I am still a pretty humble guy. I am not knocking Mission what so ever-I like there equipment and feel they are an outstanding hockey manufacturer. My point is that Justin mentioned they continue to work on a better balance between break in time and all the points made above which I do not have to reiterate. I will consider evaluating them again in the future.

Justin, would you say that maybe the wicked 3s would be better for me than the 5s if the 7500s caused me problems and the 9500s didn't?

as a random note on the pains here, I'm usually one to crank down on skates and tie them as tightly as possible since I usually stick to the stiffest models I can find. I am finding that the 3's (and probably 1's) do not require cranking down to finger bleeding levels of lace tightness to be supportive and solid, and actually can be quite painful if you do tie them that tight. The tongue is so much thinner this year that I was able to crank on my 10K's without worry, but don't need to now and can still have a great fit with some mobility and support.

Let me start of by saying that I love my 9500's. However as someone stated earlier that you may not need to tighten the new wicked 3's at tight. This is true however from experiece this will only cause the boot to bend and crease as time goes by. Even though I love my 9500's there is a major bend/crease on them towards the midfoof to the toe.

These skates are incredible.. had tryouts both tuesday and wednesday for 1 hr each. Tuesday I had to go back to my 9500s cause I couldnt take the pain in my ankles. The difference between the vanguard and the hi lo was incredible. I felt alot more sturdy on the 76mm 80mm set up. On wednesday i didnt bring my 9500s because i forced myself to break in the skates.. my ankles still killed but the things i noticed most was.. more room in the toe area and my heel locking in.

overall its an incredible skate and i'll take that pain for a while because they are so good. won't bake them either.. old fashion way

I received my wicked 5's yesterday and am having ankle bites on both sides of my ankles (inside and outside) and on both ankles (left and right)

I am assuming this wil pass with use. I'll keep you all posted.

the 5's and 7's are comfortable. the 1's and 3's arent quite there. ive put my feet into many stiff boots and none have felt like the 1's. pretty strange but oh well. i'm sending the 1's out to sprung for them to do some testing with.

My experience with the Wicked One, in case someone cares (lengthy) :

Out of the box :

* Stiffest boots ever. Definitely stiffer than the 10K and anything before.

* The toe box area is indeed abit wider than the 10K's, overall the foot part is decently comfortable for narrow feet.

* The ankle sides are very straight, meaning that if your malleoli (bone bumps on the side of your ankle) are big, you're in for a lot of pain, especially when bending your foot inward. And if your inner malleolus is a bit forward, like mine, there is little to no padding between your bone and the wonderfully rigid boot. It is extremely painful, I couldn't even tighten them at first, even less skate with them.

What I did :

* Baked them at my LHS (Bauer oven ...), and changed the insole to something better (I miss the stock Superfeet Insoles of Yore ...). It improved the fit a lot in all the other areas, but the malleoli were still hurting bad. Still couldn't play with them.

* My LHS guy had a kind of customised clamp with one concave and one convex side, to deform the boot where it hurted. Helped, but it wasn't perfect.

* I built my own custom clamp with a 20mm radius steel ball on one arm and a hand-carved concave wood shape on the other arm of the clamp. By tightening it around the painfull area, I was able to deform the boot to match my ankle bones. Still have to deform it a bit more, but the pain is now bearable.

I played with them yesterday for the first time. I only kept them for 45 minutes, then had to switch back to my old skates because of the pain. Very good feeling skate-wise. High speed, cornering is good but I can't make a fair comparison yet with the HiLo's, extremely responsive.

But I think that the upper part is (still) too stiff. I plan to change the insole again for a fully molded one as I have to put too much of my weight on the ankle inner side, hence the pain, because of a lack of foot arch support. And I'll have to make a new shape for my custom clamp to shape the boot a bit more around the malleoli. I'll post pictures when everything will be done.

So far : very promising skates, but needs a lot of work before being usable. The malleoli area is way too straight for me. Nothing ever hurted my ankles that bad before. The custom clamp tool is mandatory, I couldn't use my W1's at all before using it to shape them.

Sorry, I meant Steve...He said he had pain with the 5....He would have been one of the first people to say that.

I have not. Just got them on Monday and wore them around the house yesterday for a hour at a time, three or four times thorughout the day. I haven't skated in them yet, but plan to in a couple of hours on my lunch break.

I believe my ankle bones stick out fairly far, so this could be a me issue. But, I did buy a smaller skates this time around. (9EE instead of my normal 9.5D) They do seem to fit much better. I love the look and feel of the skates with the exception of the ankle, but like I said, I am assuming this will pass.

I will probably bake them tomorrow when I go to the rink. These are 3 minute bakes, correct?

I'll keep you posted.

Agreed with Brunoz. I have felt alot of pain in my ankles. The first time I used these skates I had to take them off in 15 minutes. Couldnt deal with the pain. Then after that I forced myself to wear them and 4-6 games later they are starting to flex more in the areas I want them to. Although its such a strong pain for me personally ill take that pain because these skates are amazing. The VanGuard is 100x better then the original Hi-Lo. I feel alot more sturdy on these and I dont feel a difference in the turning radius. I also havent baked my skates cause i prefer the old fashion way.

BrunoZ: Thanks for the thourough info.

Sounds like we have pretty much the same feet: narrow, malleoli. (and if you have a high arch, we're spot on)

Which boots do you like, just out of curiousity.

Personally I had the best luck with the CCM Vector line. Skateing in 10.0's atm, and they have been the best fitting skate for my feet (so far) in my time as a hockey player.

Well, the weather didn't permit me to skate today, so I'll be wearing them tomorrow night for a game, then I'll get them baked. I'll keep you posted.

@Patrick67 : I've been on VSI Team since late 99 ... nothing else, so my first-hand experiences are rather limited there.

Spot punching the malleoli on the W1 seems to be a requirement for a lot of people out there. But I would do it after baking them, I guess that it puts much less stress on the materials when they're hot (anyway that's what I did).

Out of curiosity, how do you guys spot-punch your skates ?

I was experiencing some pain with my 3's, had them baked and they were still a bit uncomfortable. I them took two IDS pucks and jammed them into the boots sideways in the ankle areas to get them to loosen up a bit more. I'd leave them all day like this, wear them for a bit at night and replace the pucks. When I wanted to really get going on them again, I used the hot, wet sock method to get them feeling pretty good. From where I'm at now they feel much better and skatable now with normal feeling tight spots that a few skates will take care of.