Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SnipeeMacgee

My Skate are too sharp!

I asked abour hollows here about a week back...So I strode into the the lhs and asked for 5/8 guy looks at me like im mental and says "Yeah thats standard" ..OK great I say. Tonight played a game and it felt like they where wayyyyyyy to sharp .. what hollow should I used now...Question being I would be a drastic enough change to notice a difference?? As I said in a previous post they where pre sharpened when I bought them and I loved the feel of them...Now there all fd up and it feels like im pumping the legs and going no where!!....I am a large individual at 6 4" 260 sooo....any suggestions

Thanks

Go with 7/16.. you will glide like butter and still have the grip you need.

7/16" for a 260 lb skater...yeah, that's the ticket :ph34r:

It sounds like to me that the skate is improperly sharpened.

You say that they're too sharp, yet you're moving your feet and going nowhere. Are you sliding out or are you "stuck in mud?"

If you are sliding out, then they aren't sharpened right. If you're stuck in mud and have too much bite, then you have to go shallower, NOT deeper.

1/2" will be sharper than 5/8"

No, you guys use the wrong terminology - it is DEEPER than 5/8", not sharper. Both can be made to the same amount of sharpness, if you will. The edges of a 1/2" ROH are longer.

Yes JR I am stuck in mud or even concrete <_< so what hollow would you recommend?? whatever Mcgrattan had on them was PERFECT felt like I was flying and had the perfect grip ....So pissed that there not the same!

Well I took up hockey 3 years ago but put in alot of time to get better...I cannot suck at anything...just my personality...Skated everyday if possible ...I am a good athelete and played road hockey growing up...I now am 2 in the league in scoring and am prob 3rd best skater on my team

7/16" for a 260 lb skater...yeah, that's the ticket rolleyes.gif

Honestly, I weigh 255 and do 7/16.. is that wrong? What do you suggest? 5/8 for me feels the same as the original poster's. Feels like I am putting a lot into my stride but not getting much out of it.

Well, a deeper hollow can also be seen as a "training wheel" hollow since you have more bite, making it easier for beginner skaters to be more stable on the ice.

I weigh about 10 lb lighter than you and I'm in a 3/4", and I'm far from being the best skater out there. With me, it's all about my back and knees...I can feel the extra friction when I skate with a deep hollow.

Go with 7/16.. you will glide like butter and still have the grip you need.

7/16" for a 260 lb skater...yeah, that's the ticket :rolleyes:

It sounds like to me that the skate is improperly sharpened.

You say that they're too sharp, yet you're moving your feet and going nowhere. Are you sliding out or are you "stuck in mud?"

If you are sliding out, then they aren't sharpened right. If you're stuck in mud and have too much bite, then you have to go shallower, NOT deeper.

Would you also have that slipping out feeling if the hollow wasn't deep enough?? or only from an improper sharpening (I assume unlevel edges) ?

One of the original questions was what increment is noticeable. I'm not the best or pickiest skater, but I can notice a 1/16" difference in hollow radius.

I hear ya on that as well.

Snipee - you might not want to jump up to 3/4" right away. Ask your sharpener what he gave you. You need to wean yourself off the deeper hollow - go up in 1/16" increments.

Honestly, I weigh 255 and do 7/16.. is that wrong? What do you suggest? 5/8 for me feels the same as the original poster's. Feels like I am putting a lot into my stride but not getting much out of it.

The point was that you gave very bad advice considering his hollow and issues. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. Bad advice is worse than no advice.

I hear ya on that as well.

Snipee - you might not want to jump up to 3/4" right away. Ask your sharpener what he gave you. You need to wean yourself off the deeper hollow - go up in 1/16" increments.

I think he could go a bit more than 1/16 since he only skated once on whatever he's got now. If there was that much of a problem, it's more than 1/16ths deeper than the sharpening that came with the skate.

(I think he's probably on a 3/8, because the shop said "that's standard". I don't think I know of anyone who gives a 5/8ths as standard, but stranger things have happened. Perhaps the sharpener misheard him)

I would verify the hollow that you were given at the shop, and if it wasn't a 5/8, I'd shoot for that, or something close. Just be ready to possibly slide when trying to turn or stop. It's helpful ifyou can hit up an open ice to try it out before using it in a game situation.

I'm about 260 lbs. on a 9/16ths (1/16 deeper than 5/8), and it feels perfect for me- no joint pain, definitely not too much bite, especially on good ice.

JR you must get a ton out of your strides on that 3/4, esp. with the LS2P.

The point was that you gave very bad advice considering his hollow and issues. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. Bad advice is worse than no advice.

Its just what I was raised with. After highschool, I gained a bit of weight and started playing wing. My coach recommended me to 7/16. I have been using it since (7 years).

I tried a 5/8 on accident when I forgot to tell the sharpener what I like my hollow at. I felt a HUGE difference. I felt like I was glued to the ice, both in turns in forward momentum.