Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bazli21

Skate Sharpening 101

Dixor -

A few things. The thumb bit...funny that you mention that. Steve Wilson from Blackstone came into the store yesterday and we were exchanging horror stories. I used to have that habit...until my thumb got caught between the wheel and the plate.

Two - crossgrinding on every skate...not necessary at all.

Three - witness marks are only good if you know the skate was sharpened square the previous time. Oh, yeah, you cross-ground the skate.

Three - witness marks are only good if you know the skate was sharpened square the previous time. Oh, yeah, you cross-ground the skate.

Because if the one edge is higher than the other.. the witness mark will only show on the high edge making the sharpener believe that they are off .. correct?

At the shop I work at we use one of these height gauges from Blademaster..

http://www.blademaster.ca/products.asp?id=30

It seems like it works pretty good and is fairly accurate.. although from time to time you have to calibrate it .. Does anyone else use this?

Did any of you guys happen to see the commcercial this past week for Source for Sports "Skate Sharpening Day" All proceeds from sharpenings on Nov 4th were going to charity (Canadian Cancer Society - I think).

Anyway...in the spot...the guy mounts the skate, and then a piece of the machine pushes down on the side fo the blade and it flexes...A LOT!

I was like WTF?!?!?!?

Did any of you guys happen to see the commcercial this past week for Source for Sports "Skate Sharpening Day" All proceeds from sharpenings on Nov 4th were going to charity (Canadian Cancer Society - I think).

Anyway...in the spot...the guy mounts the skate, and then a piece of the machine pushes down on the side fo the blade and it flexes...A LOT!

I was like WTF?!?!?!?

I did catch that but I wasn't really watching when it was on. I think it was straightening the steel and not on a sharpening jig.

I was like WTF?!?!?!?

I did catch that but I wasn't really watching when it was on. I think it was straightening the steel and not on a sharpening jig.

It looked really weird....you'd think for a skate sharpening spot, you'd want to see a nice clean grind with sparks flying...not bending the blade....I don't think that is typical in the skate sharpening procedure.

That is there "New Sharpening Process" and in my opinion that new system is a joke. I would only go to a SFS store that used Max Edge or I knew the owner personally........mind you I wouldnt have to as I think i can sharpen my own well enough...LOL

That is there "New Sharpening Process" and in my opinion that new system is a joke. I would only go to a SFS store that used Max Edge or I knew the owner personally........mind you I wouldnt have to as I think i can sharpen my own well enough...LOL

Well, after seeing my blade off his machine...and then YOUR machine...I won't go back to SFS either.

Its not the machine its the process and the operator. But thank you and I am pretty confident in the store near you. I will be there on Wednesday of next week. if you want to be introduced to the guys.

Its not the machine its the process and the operator. But thank you and I am pretty confident in the store near you. I will be there on Wednesday of next week. if you want to be introduced to the guys.

Yeah, I realized that as I typed it....good tools...bad carpenter.

Sent you a PM...

People still use micrometers?

Why is there something wrong with them?

nope just old school now...good for stores with low volume.

If thats old school.. what would be the "new school" way of adjusting height?

I use it. It makes sharpening so much more efficent.

Where do you sharpen?

I sharpen in Raleigh, NC.

www.fiveholesports.com

Whats the "new" thing since you guys dont use micrometers anymore?

At our shop we use the height gauge before sharpening to make sure the holder is set up properly and then we use the blademaster version of the Quick Square.. the one with only the one line to check for edge squarness.. so is using both unneccessary then?

At our shop we use the height gauge before sharpening to make sure the holder is set up properly and then we use the blademaster version of the Quick Square.. the one with only the one line to check for edge squarness.. so is using both unneccessary then?

and I find the one with one line not accurate enough I only use the Pro one with all the lines way better. With a holder like the Tri-Lite or the Max Edge version of the same holder. Best way to sharpen and the fastest.

The one line one is the skate gauge - it is good for a skater to keep in his bag to check if what he has been getting is accurate. The multiple line one will be accurate to 1/1000"

I put electrical tape on the bottom of the magnetic angles - whenever it is scored up it will give you incorrect readings. So, by using the tape, it scores up the tape, not the magnetic angle.

I would obviously prefer the pro one.. but theres a pretty signifigant price difference between the two...

and.. are blademaster and max edge affliated with each other because their holders are pretty much identical and so are their pro square and quick square?

Sorry stupid question alert

What do you mean 'scored up'?

Yep, BM is now selling M-E's holder and Quick Square.

When you put the magnetic angle on the skate blade, it scratches it up. It gets to the point that it will score grooves into it. By using electrical tape, you'll get more life out of your magnetic angles.

Rip me all you want for this, but at our store we don.t even use a squaring device, we just eye it up. If you have done it long enough, you can tell if the edges are even just by looking down the blade. The honest truth is... if you can't see any uneven edges, the customer won't be able to tell.

If you are still unsure, use a quarter.