Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

What kind of shot is the most effective for you?

What kind of shot is the most effective for you?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I remember correctly, when I was learning proper technique and how to play hockey - they taught you to point toe of stick to where you wanted puck to go and that your back foot would be up in the air behind you so you could transfer weight correctly. Nowdays it seems like people just kind of wing the puck out there by putting all their weight to one side and leaning on their stick that way, with their leg sticking out to the side. Like a dog pee'ing. Thats what I always say anyways, "there goes another dog taking a piss". Almost all kids nowdays take that kind of shot and even alot of adults. So this new type of "lazy" shot must have developed some time ago.

Call it what you want but shooting from the off foot gives you another shooting option. I find I'm in a better position to shoot at either corner/side of the net when shooting this way. Plus I can skate right at the target and shoot at it without having to change the direction I'm skating in, which means I'm still headed for the net after the shot if there's a rebound or loose puck.

With regards to the poll, I'm "effective" with both wrist and snap shots equally, but use both in different situations like others have stated.

Like mack said, I can't remember the last time I took a wrist shot. Once I got to juniors and got my snap shot to be quick and effective, I completely stopped using the wrist shot. I'd probably look as awkward as a mite if I tried to take a wrister now.

If I remember correctly, when I was learning proper technique and how to play hockey - they taught you to point toe of stick to where you wanted puck to go and that your back foot would be up in the air behind you so you could transfer weight correctly. Nowdays it seems like people just kind of wing the puck out there by putting all their weight to one side and leaning on their stick that way, with their leg sticking out to the side. Like a dog pee'ing. Thats what I always say anyways, "there goes another dog taking a piss". Almost all kids nowdays take that kind of shot and even alot of adults. So this new type of "lazy" shot must have developed some time ago.

Call it what you want but shooting from the off foot gives you another shooting option. I find I'm in a better position to shoot at either corner/side of the net when shooting this way. Plus I can skate right at the target and shoot at it without having to change the direction I'm skating in, which means I'm still headed for the net after the shot if there's a rebound or loose puck.

With regards to the poll, I'm "effective" with both wrist and snap shots equally, but use both in different situations like others have stated.

When we teach now, we actually use the "dog peeing" analogy. It works.

Most of the NHL'ers shoot like this --- quick shot off there inside foot. Iginla comes to mind when i think of the extreme version of this.

Dont have any stats to back this up but it seems the majority of shots in the NHL are like this.

I don't exactly have a wrist shot or a snap shot.

It's more of a hybrid of both, if i have time i will pull it back like a wrister but not as far and then bring it forward and snap it, if not I'll just snap it on net.

I don't exactly have a wrist shot or a snap shot.

It's more of a hybrid of both, if i have time i will pull it back like a wrister but not as far and then bring it forward and snap it, if not I'll just snap it on net.

Sounds a lot like Yashin's main shot

Yeah I think thats who I got it off of. It was a player who used it on a breakaway and it fooled the goalie pretty well, so i started to try it and it works wonders if you use a drury.

That was nice. People would have been all over his ass if he had missed, though.

Coach Lemaire told him to do it apparently:

Brian Rolston remembered the above advice given to him two weeks ago by coach Jacques Lemaire.

"He came up to me in practice two weeks ago and said, 'I woke up at 4 a.m. last night, and you know what I was thinking?' I said, 'Yeah, I'm just dying to know,' " Rolston said, laughing hysterically at the sarcasm.

"He said, 'I want you to shoot a slapshot in shootouts.' Sure, it was a penalty shot and not a shootout, but I said, 'Hey, why not?' "