Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FatAndSlow

How to do a saucer pass

Hi,

I play roller hockey and was wondering how to do a saucer pass. I can do it if the pass is a long distance but I would really like to be able to do a more "touch" saucer pass (short(er) distance yet a couple feet off the ground). I don't think I know the right technique or understanding of the saucer pass. Can you guys share the knowledge?

PS. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Like OSTOR said, use the heel but open the face of your blade a little

I can't do saucer passes either.

When the puck leaves your blade, is it supposed to leave off the heel, middle or toe?

Its hard to explain, its more of a lifting motion then an actual pass. Plus if you don't have the natural ability to get the correct timing then its basically worthless. Also depends on if your using the ball or puck. If you are using the ball and can't do a saucer pass im thinking maybe you should rethink your sport. :P

When I do saucer passes, it comes of my toe. I just kind of snap it and try to get good rotation. The saucer pass, though, is one of those things that I can't do when I'm really trying to do it. I don't know why but whenever I make a conscious effort, it flutters all over the place and misses its target by around 10 feet.

I start at the heel and sweep the puck up to the toe. Move the blade more across my body rather than towards the intended target.

When I do saucer passes, it comes of my toe. I just kind of snap it and try to get good rotation. The saucer pass, though, is one of those things that I can't do when I'm really trying to do it. I don't know why but whenever I make a conscious effort, it flutters all over the place and misses its target by around 10 feet.

Thats the problem and I usually tell anyone who will listen. If you over think the pass you'll never get it there. Half the time I don't even look when I pass the puck. Its all about timing though, getting the timeing down is more important then anything else. Of course having linemates with common sense helps too. If you have decent linemates who actually attempt to get into clear lanes then passing should be really easy. I play four on four and some of the guy I play with are pretty annoying some times. I'll go into the corner and get the puck, skate to the half boards and there will be two of them at each point, which is fine I guess but the fourth man will always just be standing next to the crease and the point men will never move up :angry:

I love hockey :lol:

Thats the problem and I usually tell anyone who will listen. If you over think the pass you'll never get it there. Half the time I don't even look when I pass the puck. Its all about timing though, getting the timeing down is more important then anything else. Of course having linemates with common sense helps too. If you have decent linemates who actually attempt to get into clear lanes then passing should be really easy. I play four on four and some of the guy I play with are pretty annoying some times. I'll go into the corner and get the puck, skate to the half boards and there will be two of them at each point, which is fine I guess but the fourth man will always just be standing next to the crease and the point men will never move up :rolleyes:

I love hockey :lol:

Saucer pass?? :huh:

Yeah, the more you focus on the intended target the more time you waste and your basically giving away the play. If you have competent wingers who you have a bit of chemistry with you shouldn't even need to see if they're there to pass the puck you should just expect them to be there. Obviously when im playing with a bunch of new guys its a different story.

All it is, is a heel to toe motion with your stick blade against the puck to give you the saucer in your pass. Then its just the same as lobbing the puck to someone but give the heel to toe motion to make it stay flat and saucer! The short passes are harder but its just touch and feel, you just need to practise to get it!

All it is, is a heel to toe motion with your stick blade against the puck to give you the saucer in your pass.  Then its just the same as lobbing the puck to someone but give the heel to toe motion to make it stay flat and saucer!  The short passes are harder but its just touch and feel, you just need to practise to get it!

Exactly...the heel to toe puts a good spin on the puck. The spin is what will keep the puck flat and smooth.

Just like throwing a frisbee, chuck it out there and it will warble all over the place, but flick your wrist and whip it out there with a lot of spin it will sail flat and smooth.

Like a spiral on a football...

I enjoy analogies. :D

My problem is all of my passes are saucers, I need to work on keeping them on the ice for some of the guys on my team.

A good way to practice it is to pass at the boards. Get a little bit more than half the distance you want the puck to go before hitting the ice again. That way you'll be able to see the puck comming downward.

That is to say, if you want to pass and have the puck hit the ice 20 feet away, then get about 11-12 feet away from the boards. If you are hitting it right, then you'd see the puck start moving downwards as it hits the board. If you are passing straight, it will come back to you.

If you are flobbing the puck (wobbly pass), you will be punished and it will not come back to you as well.

Shooting or passing straight onto the boards is good too. It returns the puck to you when you shoot or pass straight. It is also quicker with the repetitions then just shooting on the net and chasing for another puck.

If the puck does not roll off the toe then it does not have spin. Like a frisbee, a puck will not fly very well or hit the ice flat if it does not have spin.

Heres a couple potentially worthless tips:

- Ensure you cup the puck like you do on a wrister; I find that helps my mechanics

- Try moving your hands closer to the butt end of the stick. My brother tried this and his saucer passes are now the best on the team. I think it forces you to really use the rolling motion or else you don't get anything on the passes.

All it is, is a heel to toe motion with your stick blade against the puck to give you the saucer in your pass.  Then its just the same as lobbing the puck to someone but give the heel to toe motion to make it stay flat and saucer!  The short passes are harder but its just touch and feel, you just need to practise to get it!

Exactly...the heel to toe puts a good spin on the puck. The spin is what will keep the puck flat and smooth.

Just like throwing a frisbee, chuck it out there and it will warble all over the place, but flick your wrist and whip it out there with a lot of spin it will sail flat and smooth.

Like a spiral on a football...

I enjoy analogies. :D

Absolutely right.