Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

speedcraft

Dumb Question about playing defense

I play defense on a lowest-level beer league team. I played my 6th game ever last Sunday night, and ended up confused about what my responsibilities are when I’m the weak-side “D.â€

In all my previous games, it was pretty clear cut that I defend the slot by controlling the opposing players who always came into (and/or camped out in) that area. However, last night, on several occasions I moved into my position in the slot, but there was no one there, and few people came there. However the weak side wing would setup about 10-15 feet behind me (towards the side boards so I couldn’t see him) and wait for a pass. :o

This left me with the Dali lama of choosing between leaving the slot open by backing up to cover the WS wing (knowing that it’s way less than a 50/50 chance of anyone on my team would see this and move in to cover the slot), or staying in the slot and praying I could cut off any pass going to the WS wing. :blink:

So, in that situation, should I stay in the slot, or cover the man? Or perhaps I should have moved between my goalie and the WS wing and positioned myself (looking out from our goal) so that I could see both the puck in the corner and the WS wing. Then I could move to him if a pass looked imminent, or jump back into the slot if anyone came in there?

TIA for any advice!

different people and teams play D differently. I know that when I play D I will give wings the walls all day, but limit how much room they have to work with from the wall. As soon as they move in I pinch in on them to make life difficult so they move the puck away and have to take outside shots instead of waltzing in on goal or burning me for playing them too close.

play the body, not the puck. The shot is for the goalie, your job as a defenseman is to take away the pass and to not give them a quality scoring opprotunity; which could be giving them room to shoot or by screening or letting someone else screen your goalie.

I was always told to cover the far post as a weak side dman. That way you can always keep the wing from sliding in, and still be abe to cover the slot if you have to. You should also have the weak sid wing in the high slot area in case a dman or a forward sneaks in. Another thing is you should always "stay at home" and let the forwards come to you, instead of chasing the forward and getting out of position. Hope that helps...

I would play in the low slot more towards the weak side wing who is down low. As long as he is in the corners or on the boards he can't score. Your responsible for keeping a pass from the corner to the slot. The weak side wing should be at the high slot covering thier man. Being in the low slot gives you alot of options.

play the body, not the puck. The shot is for the goalie, your job as a defenseman is to take away the pass and to not give them a quality scoring opprotunity; which could be giving them room to shoot or by screening or letting someone else screen your goalie.

Down near the net, playing the body is almost a sure way to get scored on. You can have a good player 90% wraped up, and if he can still get the shot off you look like a jamoke.

I would say that, yes, it is a good idea of ONE of the 2 Dmen to be near the front of the goal. That is sometimes you, and sometimes the other guy. The other guy has to be smark enough to cover for you when you leave the post to go do something.

Otherwise, playing near the goal if no one else is around is more concetrated on breaking up pass attempts and punishing anyone who gets too close with the puck.

Where was the center? Center has 3rd Dman responsibilities in the defensive zone. With no center it'd probably be best to play the slot like you were, but cheat a little towards the weak side winger, because it's going to be hard for the goalie to stop a one-timer that gets from one side to the other with any decent amount of speed. You have to be close enough to put a little pressure on the weakside guy, if the puck comes to him, but your first priority is to keep the puck away from players closer to the center of the ice. It's a progression you play the man closest to the center of the ice when you're the weakside D and you have no other teammate helping you (your Center should be there).

There should be 2 defensive players (one for the slot and one for the weakside) in front of the net all the time when you're in your defensive zone. The other defensive player should be putting pressure on the puck if only slight pressure. With all 3 of the defensive players playing where they're supposed to you work in a 3 man rotation; 1 guy takes the puck, the other the slot area, and the final one the back door. Picture like a box and 1 zone in basketball, a 2 and 3 zone would work too, but not as effective of an example as a box and 1.

The biggest thing is that whether you have all 3 guys back or just 2 that you need to talk and communicate with one another. This should include everyone on your team.

I typically call the weak side D the quarterback. They can see the most on the rink.

Here are some basic rules that I use while playing defense:

1) Getting the puck out of the zone is critical for survival

2) No one is allowed to have the puck in the slot without being challenged

3) Don't trust your own forwards as far as you can throw them

Here are some suggestions:

- D-man in front of the net at all times

- Work as a team with your D-partner.

- Forwards should always play man to man in the zone

- Wings on the points makes it 3 on 3 vs 5 on 5. Much easier for the D to play

- Goalies are designed to block shots that they can see

-dave

Down near the net, playing the body is almost a sure way to get scored on. You can have a good player 90% wraped up, and if he can still get the shot off you look like a jamoke.

I would say that, yes, it is a good idea of ONE of the 2 Dmen to be near the front of the goal. That is sometimes you, and sometimes the other guy. The other guy has to be smark enough to cover for you when you leave the post to go do something.

Otherwise, playing near the goal if no one else is around is more concetrated on breaking up pass attempts and punishing anyone who gets too close with the puck.

It was a general statement meant for most of the play you will be doing. I didn't feel like typing a page and a half about what you need to do in what situations.

1. Stand at the far post, you can see much more of the ice.

2. Stay between your man and the puck, you need to move your head constantly so you know where he is.

3. Play the stick and not the body. Even if the guy moves down low and he can't put his stick on the puck, he isn't dangerous.

4. Teach your center to cover the slot

thats another thing, people put such emphasis on playing the body in front of the net. It's not that its not important, but i've learned its just as, if not more, efficent to be able to have an "active" stick in passing lanes, and being able to pick up sticks and tie up in front of the net. As long as you can take the other forwards' stick out of the play you'll be fine.

Oh and if you want to be physical, one way of clearing out the front of the net is to get your stick under the forwards butt and pushing up and out, you'd be surprised how easy it works.....

Thanks guys, for sharing you insights and experience!

Where was the center? Center has 3rd Dman responsibilities in the defensive zone.

Our center often seems to go MIA, or decides to leave someone open to go double-team the puck carrier. :rolleyes:

Don't trust your own forwards as far as you can throw them

Yeah, with our team it’s a real crap shoot what you’re going to get from the wings; depending on which line is on. :(

Most of our team is right out of a "learn to play hockey" class, so we pretty much look like bewildered heads with or chickens cut off; with all the frenzied activity happening at a blazing Tai Chi pace. :lol:

But hey, I'm finally playing hockey, so it's all fun!

Most of our team is right out of a "learn to play hockey" class, so we pretty much look like bewildered heads with or chickens cut off; with all the frenzied activity happening at a blazing Tai Chi pace.

I love this quote. It perfectly sums up beginner hockey either mites or adult beginner.

I'm playing with some beginners this year and I'm being looked to for advice. I think this is because I'm the only one stupid enough to play without a full mask, this must imply experience or skill. Little do they know.

I think I've sold our centers on staying in the crease and not chasing the puck into the corners by telling them it saves their legs for offensive rushes. Which actually has a grain of truth to it. No one at this level is in NHL condition, so playing proper positional hockey lets you pace yourself to a certain extent and save the energy for when you need it.

gap control is a big one.. the the offensive zone if ur partner pinches back him up. look at his chest not the puck and play ur balls out