Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dante2004

Ice Skating Treadmill

Really? I thought everyone stopped having players stand on those swiss balls after that player in Florida broke his neck doing it.

Bosu balls (Half ball with a flat bottom) are different and much safer, as they will not roll out from underneath you.

Really? I thought everyone stopped having players stand on those swiss balls after that player in Florida broke his neck doing it.

I can't believe it took someone breaking thier neck to realize these party tricks are dangerous.

for leg stregth, strengthening hockey leg muscles i can see it working, however improving stride, probably not. It probably works well in markets where there arent effective power skating instructors, this can easily substitute them. Where i come from, there is competition with power skating instructors, so finding one isnt tough

for leg stregth, strengthening hockey leg muscles i can see it working, however improving stride, probably not. It probably works well in markets where there arent effective power skating instructors, this can easily substitute them. Where i come from, there is competition with power skating instructors, so finding one isnt tough

Not so sure about this Gongshow. It seems like it is mostly the larger markets that have treadmills - as well as a lot of powerskating instructors too.

I have seen people significantly improve their stride using the treadmill. As I said earlier, I didn't see dramatic results with my daughter, perhaps because she had farther to go. Mind you, my student runs one at a different program, and he seems to feel it was the program she was in. But it did correct some of her foundational problems - foot return and positioning... and I am sure that has helped improve her skating and stride this year. She's going back on it in March/April when ice-times and schedule slows down - to get ready for April try-outs.

The skating treadmills are used to supplement an existing training program. The example I know the most about is the MN Gopher hockey teams using one in their training. The players have a session every two weeks in season and once a week in the off season. Its used for conditioning purposes. It gets them an intense workout in a short amount of time. Of course an arguement could be made that at a higher level it has different benefits than lower level players. There are a couple of sights in the Twin Cities where kids as young as pee-wee level (10-12 yrs old) can use it to improve their skating. I've heard parents comment on how much it has improved their child's skating abilities. I haven't heard any negatives about it.