Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dante2004

Ice Skating Treadmill

I was on one once or twice a week last season. I tell ya, I've had some terrible experiences with on-ice bag skates, but what was done to me on that machine should be illegal.

Lately, I've had a number of my re-hab sessions on one...My therapist hasn't put me through any rigorous conditioning, though, so my opinion of the piece of equipment has changed, somewhat.

I still have flashbacks, though.

they have the same machine at a local roller rink here as part of a hockey conditioning program. our whole team got a free membership to it last season and it was sweet. it can be very demanding but at the same time, after constant work for even just a week or two, it makes a huge difference.

they have the same machine at a local roller rink here as part of a hockey conditioning program. our whole team got a free membership to it last season and it was sweet. it can be very demanding but at the same time, after constant work for even just a week or two, it makes a huge difference.

reason why, they look like such a great off season training tool

Many powerskating coaches will tell you those treadmill are not good at all. I think this way too.

I used one everyday, over the last 5-6 summers, and I swear by it. It made me a lot faster, great stride, and great leg power. I definatly reccommed it to everyone.

Many powerskating coaches will tell you those treadmill are not good at all. I think this way too.

Powerskating coaches probably don't recommend it for the same reason the Music Industry hates P2P Music sharing...it's cutting into their business.

My conditionning trainer who train many NHL players and many olympic athletes for speed do not recommend it at all.

I do not recommend it at all...Do some plyos or public skating instead. This thing is a gimmick who will break all your skating technique. Why it is not good? Because the force application on these machines is not the same then the force application in real skating.

Powerskating coaches probably don't recommend it for the same reason the Music Industry hates P2P Music sharing...it's cutting into their business.

You can do plyometric excersizes on the machine.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Kovy. While it was the bane of my existance for about five or six weeks, the treadmill improved my conditioning and strength in ways that public skating or even suicides simply can't, without forcing or causing any kind of technical breakdown in my stride.

My conditionning trainer who train many NHL players and many olympic athletes for speed do not recommend it at all.

I do not recommend it at all...Do some plyos or public skating instead. This thing is a gimmick who will break all your skating technique. Why it is not good? Because the force application on these machines is not the same then the force application in real skating.

Agreed, you're going to make more consistant progress off ice with a good stregnth training program combined with speed training. Treadmills don't have a placee in either of those methods

Finally someone who understand. Seriously, with all I have been told by many competent people, this things is just a gimmick, but not only it is a gimmick, it will break your skating technique. Because you can't push the same on these things then on the ice.

Agreed, you're going to make more consistant progress off ice with a good stregnth training program combined with speed training. Treadmills don't have a placee in either of those methods

Kovy I have heard both sides of this argument and from knowledgeable people... and I don't know which point-of-view is correct.

I saw a difference in my daughter's skating using the treadmill... but not a "miracle change" in stride and speed. It did help correct her foot return. I actually think, for her, the difference was an instructor 2 feet from her making corrections. The instructor is key to what you get out of it.

One of my students knows a lot about treadmills and I've been meaning to ask him about it (just haven't wanted to fill up class time with hockey and treadmills...lol). I'll ask him and let you know what I learn.

Finally someone who understand. Seriously, with all I have been told by many competent people, this things is just a gimmick, but not only it is a gimmick, it will break your skating technique. Because you can't push the same on these things then on the ice.

Exactly, sucess leaves clues. How many great skaters have used this thing? Have speed skaters, sprinters, figure skaters, or ANY athlete ever become freaky fast by using a treadmill? I know Ben Johnson didn't (9.79!). How about Paul Coffey or Scott Neidermeyer? Any of the euros - Jagr? Gaborik? russians - Kovalev? Kovalchuk?

There's a lot to be said about getting personal skating instruction. However, using this as a conditioning tool for a couple weeks should be fine - I mean all that rollerskating didn't break the Sutter brothers goal scoring ability!

Exactly, sucess leaves clues. How many great skaters have used this thing? Have speed skaters, sprinters, figure skaters, or ANY athlete ever become freaky fast by using a treadmill? I know Ben Johnson didn't (9.79!). How about Paul Coffey or Scott Neidermeyer? Any of the euros - Jagr? Gaborik? russians - Kovalev? Kovalchuk?

There's a lot to be said about getting personal skating instruction. However, using this as a conditioning tool for a couple weeks should be fine - I mean all that rollerskating didn't break the Sutter brothers goal scoring ability!

The Minnesota Wild had their players use it, and Gelinas and Bure used the one at Burnaby 8 Rinks.

It is overspeed training to get the neuro-muscular interface used to firing faster, and technique correction (to a certain extent). But, it has to be combined with other forms of training.

i got a late start in hockey. first time i ever roller bladed was when i was 10, played inline hockey at 11 and started playing ice for the first time at 14. i taught myself everything i know and then last year i got to do a strength/conditioning program that included this treadmill.

i feel like having a skating trainer an armslength away definantly helped because he could give advice on technique, but the treadmill itself helped out a ton. the only bad thing i have to say about it is that it required me to sharpen my skates much more frequently than regular ice time.

It is overspeed training to get the neuro-muscular interface used to firing faster, and technique correction (to a certain extent). But, it has to be combined with other forms of training.

Overspeed training has never been used in creating any speed demons.

Overspeed training has never been used in creating any speed demons.

It has to be combined with other forms of training.

Even if Kovalev would be using it, I would not believe in it...

The same pessimism existed for power skating, too, when it became better known.

It has to be combined with other forms of training.

Then how do you know it actually has any use then? Why are there NO great stregnth or speed coaches that recomend "overspeed" speed training running down hills or on this treadmill?

The pittsburgh penguins have thier players squat on swiss and bozu balls. It puts your knees in a bad position, is dangerous for no reason, and hockey isn't played on an unstable surface. Just because some NHL stregnth coach advocates it doesn't mean it's any good.