Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

David Perron

At the end of the day, Coach Murray knows more about coaching and developing hockey players than anyone of us here does. Just a reminder, he gets paid for it.

NHL Network had a behind the scenes look at the Blues 2007 Draft day and preparation for the draft. It was wild to see the work before the draft that they do with testing players for body fat, muscle and bone structure, projection of player's body with 3-4 years and more. Its just more credit to David that he was their third player chosen in the first round. Think of where he was two years ago, where he is now, and simply how much farther he has to go to become a complete NHL player. It seems to me he is in the right organization for a player like David. Ease off the throttle, there is a long way to go.

Exactly what I said. I have no issues with Murray not matching Perron with Iginla and I understand sometimes certain players need to be played... but Perron shouldn't be playing with 4th line grinders like Hinote and Mayers.

I think Mayers is a perfect player for him to develop another part of his game with. If he was a D I would want him with Salvador. Mayers is a total team guy who wants to retire a Blue with his name on the Grail. More than that he plays for the crest on the front of his jersey and not the name on the back. IMO, this is the most important lesson for him to learn and he has an excellent tutor for it. I really liked when Murray was playing him with Mayers and an offensive player.(I can't remember if it was Tkachuk or Weight)

I am not trying to bash Murray or say he is not doing a good job. He has always done well with young players. I think that David can handle 8-10 minutes every game as he continues to develop. Just my own thoughts in that regard and since I don't get paid to do who knows.

Edited by j8Zt8r

I don't mean any of this against Murray since he has always done a great job with young players.

I'm calling BS on that one. His youngest 30 goal scorer was Ziggy Palffy when he was 28 in Murray's first year as a coach. His youngest leading scorer as a head coach was Jason Allison when he was 26 and had 74 points, 21 points less than he had in Boston the previous year. He was forced to play a lot of young guys in LA and didn't do much with most of them.

Chadd,

I'm calling BS on you. Do the research: Andy Murray put the Kings in the playoffs his first three years with totally veteran teams. The Kings had no prospects to play during 99-00,00-01, and the 01-02 seasons when the Kings were in the playoffs. In 02-03, two 20 year old players were brought up to the Kings: Alexander Frolov and Mike Camalleri. Frolov played 79 games that year while Camalleri had played three seasons at U/Michigan. Camalleri was learning the pro game and still given the learning curve and time to develop his game.

Here are the stats:

02-03

Frolov-79gp, 14g-17a 31 pts

Camalleri-28 gp, 5g-3a 8 pts

03-04

Frolov-77gp, 24g-24a 48 pts

Camalleri-31gp, 9g-6a 15 pts

05-06

Frolov- 69gp, 21g-33a 54 pts

Camalleri-80gp, 26g-29a 55 pts

06-07

Frolov-82gp, 35g-36a 71 pts

Camalleri-81gp, 34g-46a 80 pts

Frolov's salary this year is $2.9mil while Camalleri went to arbitration and is being paid $3.35mil. Coach Murray has a lot to do with building the foundation of these two players. I'll bet David would be satisfied to be in either of those two player's situations about 3-4 years from now, if this is how Murray gets David's NHL career started.

First or second year players scoring 30+ in today's NHL are named Crosby or Ovechkin. Frolov and Cami are not in that class, obviously. Murray did develop both players into 30 goal scorers by their fourth year in the league, whether or not he stood behind the bench when they did it. Camilleri earned his playing minutes and has the points now to prove it.

Just what is your beef with Murray? He has turned the Blues around 100% from where they were a year ago. I wouldn't consider him some retread coach. He basically started with the worst group of players a year ago when he replaced Kitchen. Search that thread from early last season here when the Blues were dog crap.

A year ago David was riding the Iron Lung on all-night bus rides and having a post game Happy Meal at MickeyDs. The NHL is full of kids who got rushed into situations they couldn't handle because the team, the coach, and management forced them to. Lucky for David the team is watching out for him. Its only December in his first NHL season. Try thinking big picture, long term planning. He is still a boy among men.

It's not just David:

(from tsn.ca)

The Latest from St. Louis

Coach Andy Murray is limiting the minutes of rookie defenceman Erik Johnson. Johnson, 19, is already an offensive player, but Murray is using him in limited situations at this time. - St. Louis Dispatch

Murray is easing all his young offensive talent along.

First or second year players scoring 30+ in today's NHL are named Crosby or Ovechkin. Frolov and Cami are not in that class, obviously. Murray did develop both players into 30 goal scorers by their fourth year in the league, whether or not he stood behind the bench when they did it. Camilleri earned his playing minutes and has the points now to prove it.

Just what is your beef with Murray? He has turned the Blues around 100% from where they were a year ago. I wouldn't consider him some retread coach. He basically started with the worst group of players a year ago when he replaced Kitchen. Search that thread from early last season here when the Blues were dog crap.

A year ago David was riding the Iron Lung on all-night bus rides and having a post game Happy Meal at MickeyDs. The NHL is full of kids who got rushed into situations they couldn't handle because the team, the coach, and management forced them to. Lucky for David the team is watching out for him. Its only December in his first NHL season. Try thinking big picture, long term planning. He is still a boy among men.

Dark I have to disagree with him developing those 2 into 30 goal scorers. He developed their defensive side of the game but their scoring talent was there the whole time. Cammalleris first couple of years he was up and down because of Murray. Both guys had breakout years when giving the oppurtunity to be creative offensively. Murray stifled that in all the young guys here.

Not sure if hes the same way in STL but here in LA his coaching style wore thin with the players. Essays and pushup and high school rules. He did alot of good the first few years here but then players started getting injured, which had alot to do with the grinding style of play he was using. Leading the league in man games lost and setting the record 2 years in a row wasnt a coincidence. A style that works in high school might not be the best style for a long 82+ game NHL season.

Thanks for the input. Since you are in the LA area and know first-hand how Murray did what he did, I believe you. The numbers tell one story(the records of Murray, Frolov, and Cami) while the methods used are the true basis of what happened. I appreciate hearing from someone close to the way it played out. Good job!!

Chadd, BS on me! :lol:

I'm more curious about how many good young prospects he blew up through his course in LA, 2 guy's coming through the wire in Frolov and Camalleri don't seem like an impressive number.

Edited by Patrick67

Good game tonight. David worked hard and moved the puck well. For the first time I have seen this year he was on the ice with under 4:00 minutes left in the game. He covered the D zone well enough.

Good game tonight. David worked hard and moved the puck well. For the first time I have seen this year he was on the ice with under 4:00 minutes left in the game. He covered the D zone well enough.

I watched most of the third period last night, missed the rest due to x-mas shopping obligations, and I have one question; Has anyone ever seen Stempniak pass the puck? Maybe it was just an odd couple of shifts, but that guy was just throwing pucks at the net from everywhere and not even looking to see if anyone was more open. It did result in one goal for the Blues though, thanks to Backes (I believe) screening Osgood in the crease.

Dark I have to disagree with him developing those 2 into 30 goal scorers. He developed their defensive side of the game but their scoring talent was there the whole time. Cammalleris first couple of years he was up and down because of Murray. Both guys had breakout years when giving the oppurtunity to be creative offensively. Murray stifled that in all the young guys here.

Not sure if hes the same way in STL but here in LA his coaching style wore thin with the players. Essays and pushup and high school rules. He did alot of good the first few years here but then players started getting injured, which had alot to do with the grinding style of play he was using. Leading the league in man games lost and setting the record 2 years in a row wasnt a coincidence. A style that works in high school might not be the best style for a long 82+ game NHL season.

Glad to see my observations jibe with someone who watched him coach more often than I have. Then again, you defended Avery when he was in LA so I'm not sure if that helps or hurts my case. ;)

I'm more curious about how many good young prospects he blew up through his course in LA, 2 guy's coming through the wire in Frolov and Camalleri don't seem like an impressive number.

Honestly not many. During most of his time here the drafting sucked. Had more luck with older euros than they did drafting young kids. Alot of the young talent started coming into the pipeline his last few years here by whihc time he was already on his way out.

dpdraft.jpg

Finally got it - I'll see him at the end of the month so I can get it signed and up in the shop.

sweet, that is priceless

i know someone is going to ask - so i might as well..

isn't david #57? or is 7 your number JR?

sorry if that's a stupid question