Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crazykeeper3317

roller goal skates

Bauer only currently make retail roller goalie skates. Most goalie now days are taking cheap ice hockey goalie skates and taking the blade off and putting a 5 wheel chassis (i.e. Lebeda Predator and Suregrip if you can find them.) and buying their own goalie wheels of their choice.

Buy a pair of Graf skates, cut off the blade, mount a flat chassis, and you'll be set...There is no reason for the 5 wheels chassis, unless you like the extra weight of the wheels and bearings...If you want a longer wheel base, get a larger chassis.

the 5 wheel chassis for goalie skates are designed for goalies. There is definitely reasons to buy them over regular chassis.

1) They are stronger(well depending on what you buy) so they dont bend as easily when hit with a puck.

2) They are lower and built for smaller wheels. Makes it quicker to drop down.

3) They are longer so you have better stability.

The main point being number 2.

I completely agree with TBL Fan... Its defintely a huge improvement over 4 wheeled chassis.. Hey Justin! will mission start making goalie skates in the near future???

i heard someone say that they thought the five wheel chassis was a copy off of the ice goal skates built with stability in mind. he thought you'd need speed more on roller because it is naturally slower.

who else makes 5 wheel chassi? (<--is that right? cactus, cacti...:D)all i've found are speed skate chassi >_<

Buy a pair of Graf skates, cut off the blade, mount a flat chassis, and you'll be set...There is no reason for the 5 wheels chassis, unless you like the extra weight of the wheels and bearings...If you want a longer wheel base, get a larger chassis.

Hmmmm I can't imagine there being too much extra weight from two wheels (complete with bearings and spaces). I think if you suggested that argument to our goalie he'd laugh and just stack the pads on that argument quickly by reminding me of how much weight he's so easily used to carrying already.

so I looked into it, and this is just my preferences.

1)CCM Vector 4.0 Goalie Ice Hockey Skates Sr-$165.99

2)Labeda Predator Chassis (I had no idea it'd cost this much)-$235.00

3)10 Rink Rat Crossbar Goalie Hockey Wheels-$69.90

4)Powell 608 Swiss Bones Bearings 20 Pack -$74.99

Total:$550.88

Nike Bauer Vapor Xg Lite:$219.95

You might find different prices from different places, but this is the general idea.

Each person has there own opinion and that was mine...However, there are some mistakes in TBL post

1. 5 wheels chassis are not built any stonger.

2. lower profile (Bauer is the only one with a lower profile). A lower profile is not a good thing in Roller hockey. When your pad is too low to the ground it sticks to the ground as you go and play the puck. Nobody should be using anything smaller than a 59mm wheel for goalie.

3. I have seen plenty of 4 wheel chassis that have just as much stability as 5 wheel. It is all about lenghth of chassis and how it is mounted.

Any saving in weight you can have will make you quicker...I am not just making this crap up, as you know, I do play goalie....

Each person has there own opinion and that was mine...However, there are some mistakes in TBL post

1. 5 wheels chassis are not built any stonger.

2. lower profile (Bauer is the only one with a lower profile). A lower profile is not a good thing in Roller hockey. When your pad is too low to the ground it sticks to the ground as you go and play the puck. Nobody should be using anything smaller than a 59mm wheel for goalie.

3. I have seen plenty of 4 wheel chassis that have just as much stability as 5 wheel. It is all about lenghth of chassis and how it is mounted.

Any saving in weight you can have will make you quicker...I am not just making this crap up, as you know, I do play goalie....

those are good points there justin.

however i disagree with the 5 wheel chassis not being strong. just the fact that they're light and thin doesn't mean theyre weak.

I do get a high profile from my predators which helps with my skating a lot.

You're right about any saving weight in goalie skates will make you quicker so thats why my predator chassis is light as hell.

(by the way i'm sorry if u think i'm being biased but i'm just supporting my facts with good products that backs it up)

sure grip chasis

would those do for the chasis???

those would work fine but you have to be careful with the old Sure Grip stuff because alot of times the footprint of their sole plates are too wide for alot of the newer skates with really minimal and streamlined outsoles. Especially if you go with a bigger than normal chassis to get the added length...

2)Labeda Predator Chassis (I had no idea it'd cost this much)-$235.00

Where did you find the Predator Chassis available for $235.00? I've got a couple of goalie pals that would fork that over in a second for a new pair...

hmmm... doesn't look like that site has been updated in years and it craps out when you try to add a chassis to your cart. the number on the site still goes to a voicemail for hockey911. i'll call em and leave a message when i'm not at work. thanks for the link!

Actually, H305 frames had only one size of mount pad, regardless of frame size, unlike the H405/505 which were made larger from small to medium to large.

those would work fine but you have to be careful with the old Sure Grip stuff because alot of times the footprint of their sole plates are too wide for alot of the newer skates with really minimal and streamlined outsoles. Especially if you go with a bigger than normal chassis to get the added length...

I made my own goalie skates last year and followed the same advice that Justim gave. I got a sure-grip 4 wheel chassis instead of the 5 because as he said its lighter and the 5th wheel really provides nothing extra for your mobility or balance. I couldnt find an old pair of goal skates to chop up in my size at all and wasnt willing to fork over a few hundred on a new pair so I just used an old mission boot and got a local pro shop to mount the new chassis on for me. The chassis didnt fit the skate exactly right but a good pro shop will be able to drill extra holes in the chassis and boot and secure it on there real nice. Now I just keep checkin ebay for a size 11 pair of goal skates and will just take the chassis off the player skates and put em on the goal ones when the time comes. Really in the end its all personal preference and 4 of 5 wheels isnt gonna make the difference between winning or losing, thats all up to how well your whole game is. Hope that helps and btw if anyone has any old goal skates in a size 10-5-11.5 and is lookin to get rid of them please send me a message. thanks.