Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thejackal

hockey in college

Does it work the same as Canafian school, we have college level courses and University level courses. In order to get into University you need 12 U/M ( m = the middle of the two ) for gr11/12 (6 each year.)

Do they scout d2 hockey ? Also, how does going to College in the states work ? Is it essays, Sat scores, and test's to get in ? Or do they look at your high school marks ?

depends on what school since some don't require you to write essays. all of them look at high school grades, and atleast one of the tests ( ACT or SAT).

essays are a big deal, as well a extra-curriculars. applying for mcgill (and for ontarian universities) is a breeze compared to the stuff u gotta go through south of the border.

What kinda stuff u gotta do south of the border ?

what i said was basically what happens. some schools have very short apps, like Iowa, and others have long ones. they check grades and extra curriculars. some make you write essays for them and/ or get teacher recommendations. and they look at you standardized test scores.

Do you guys got like a normal stream of class's, and an advanced stream of class's system ? Also, is aplication for adults (21 +) different then someone coming straight out of high school ?

they scout all levels of hockey... what differs is the schools ability to award athletic scholarships. I'm in my last year at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, ME and the club hockey here suits our players, we aren't part of a league but we do play a few games against schools. It really depends on what school you go to and how much effort people want to place in a program. For us we all realized we were there for our education, if we were meant to play hockey we would have known when Boston College and Boston University were at our practices when we were 12...

nice website. probably the best one i've seen for a club team. player of the week is a nice touch.

If that’s the best site you have seen for an ACHA team, you obviously haven't seen many. If you’re interested in seeing a couple of the better sites, I would check out these:

http://www.ucohockey.com/

http://www.pennstatehockey.com/

http://www.illini-hockey.com/

A common misconception about the ACHA is that it is made purely of "club" teams, when in fact many ACHA teams are under the control the school's athletic department. Lindenwood, Davenport, and Robert Morris (IL) are good examples of this. I play for a quality ACHA Div. II team and the level of competition is extremely high. This not only applies to the teams that we play, but also to the competition within our organization. We have 26 players rostered on our varsity team, and can only dress 21 per game. All of our games are broadcast on the internet, many are broadcast on local radio, and we have even had games televised on local cable. We have our own locker room, skate sharpener, and many other amenities that a typical "club" team does not. It always irks me when people refer to the ACHA as "just club hockey" when they haven't seen what many of the programs have to offer in terms of amenities and competition. While the bottom of the ACHA bucket is pretty low, it only takes one trip to a decent ACHA game to realize that it's more than just club hockey.

Sorry a bit off topic but a friend of mine had his son contacted by Johns Hopkins University through email. The school offered him a complete academic scholarship! Going to class, studying, and being smart does count for something.

nice website. probably the best one i've seen for a club team. player of the week is a nice touch.

If that’s the best site you have seen for an ACHA team, you obviously haven't seen many. If you’re interested in seeing a couple of the better sites, I would check out these:

http://www.ucohockey.com/

http://www.pennstatehockey.com/

http://www.illini-hockey.com/

A common misconception about the ACHA is that it is made purely of "club" teams, when in fact many ACHA teams are under the control the school's athletic department. Lindenwood, Davenport, and Robert Morris (IL) are good examples of this. I play for a quality ACHA Div. II team and the level of competition is extremely high. This not only applies to the teams that we play, but also to the competition within our organization. We have 26 players rostered on our varsity team, and can only dress 21 per game. All of our games are broadcast on the internet, many are broadcast on local radio, and we have even had games televised on local cable. We have our own locker room, skate sharpener, and many other amenities that a typical "club" team does not. It always irks me when people refer to the ACHA as "just club hockey" when they haven't seen what many of the programs have to offer in terms of amenities and competition. While the bottom of the ACHA bucket is pretty low, it only takes one trip to a decent ACHA game to realize that it's more than just club hockey.

i couldn't agree with you more. the ACHA has been tagged "Club" (a name that i have been using here as well) but in essence in many cases it is "non scholarship varsity". that is a term the ACHA has been trying to promote, especially at the Div 1 level. i used to coach high school aged players, with a fellow ACHA Div 1 player, and he and i used to always tell the guys on the team... if you don't get offered a scholarship to a program, take a strong look at the ACHA div 1 programs around us. great hockey, great experience, and something you will never regret doing.

its funny how some players will knock ACHA hockey, saying they are too good to play at that level, so instead they end up playing mens league, because the didn't get offered a scholarship to a big program. not knowing what a great thing they passed up on, because "club" wasnt good enough for them.

i couldn't agree with you more. the ACHA has been tagged "Club" (a name that i have been using here as well) but in essence in many cases it is "non scholarship varsity". that is a term the ACHA has been trying to promote, especially at the Div 1 level. i used to coach high school aged players, with a fellow ACHA Div 1 player, and he and i used to always tell the guys on the team... if you don't get offered a scholarship to a program, take a strong look at the ACHA div 1 programs around us. great hockey, great experience, and something you will never regret doing.

its funny how some players will knock ACHA hockey, saying they are too good to play at that level, so instead they end up playing mens league, because the didn't get offered a scholarship to a big program. not knowing what a great thing they passed up on, because "club" wasnt good enough for them.

I have kids that go to the college I coach that would be 2nd liners on my team who won't play because they think they are too good for ACHA hockey. It's very frustrating.

the University of Virginina has a hockey team. its a club team.

http://www.uvahockey.com/(the picture is my home rink)

UVA plays in the ACCHL wiht other colleges, some in the ACC(DUKE, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech)and others in the sourrounding area(George Mason, Gorgetown)

All ACCHL teams are D2 ACHA teams

EDIT: Also Liberty University has a D1 ACHA team. they're ranked in the top 10 in the nation. Liberty Hockey