Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jarick

Left Wing Roles and Positioning

So I've been playing a few months after a very long hiatus and I'm looking for advice to learn the left wing and improve my game.

I play two or three times a week at open hockey around the area. Pretty much everyone there can skate and stickhandle circles around me, although I try and make up for it by hustling and playing a more defensive game. Unfortunately, the weather in Minnesota has been so warm lately that we haven't had more than a week's worth of ice in the last year, so I am limited to skating in the games and working with a Smart Hockey ball at home.

I was hoping that by better learning positional hockey, I would be able to at least do a better job of covering the right area, preventing the other team from scoring, and possibly getting more than a shot on goal every other game. I'm a lefty and typically played left wing growing up, although I was the "last-picked" kid who had no athletic ability so the coaches never really bothered to teach me anything other than how to throw a hit.

What I'm wondering is if there was any advice I should keep in mind while I'm out on the ice, specifically with regard to positioning. Are there any good articles, books, videos, or any kind of training materials that would give me some direction? I'd just like to be able to contribute out on the ice instead of feeling like a liability.

i know how you feel.

except i am just starting out with hockey. My dad wasn't really a hockey fan so i didn't grow up w/ hockey and never even really paid attention until i had a college roommate that was a hockey fan.

So anyway - i just started to learn to play (at 26) last the spring and lucked out getting on a low level rec. team in the fall. I have learned the most just by paying close attention to the better guys on my team and watching pro games more in depth. Also the C on my team and some other guys has been really great about giving me tips on the bench.

This website has some helpful animations on positioning and some decent reading that has also helped me fill in some gaps.

Advice on this board helps do that too.

Defensively:

Cover the defenseman at the blueline, stay between him and the puck and try to prevent him from getting the puck.

Offensively:

When in doubt go to the front of the net and screen the goalie. If you're looking for a pass, make sure the guy with the puck has a lane to get the puck to you. You may not have anyone around you but without that passing lane, you're not going to get the puck.

You may also want to look into a "Fundamentals of Hockey" or "Learn to Play" type program. Your local rink may have one or know where to direct you. They should cover fundamentals like positioning, and will improve your basic skills. Most will start with drills and end with a controlled scrimmage.

Oh yeah. I'll be checking that out come springtime. We've got an extensive amateur adult league with a lot of beginner and intermediate classes. I don't know if I'd drop $500 on the 10-session beginners hockey course, but I believe they have some intermediate classes for under $100 that cover in-depth aspects of the game.

I really focused on positioning last game and actually ended up playing D the whole time. It REALLY helped, even the little stuff I found on the web. Unfortunately my damn skates went to hell on me and I couldn't catch an edge to save my life, but I did come up with some nice blocks and frustrated a lot of guys. That saying "you can pass the puck faster than skating" comes to mind.

I'll have to work on getting to the boards quicker and becoming more aware of my surroundings, but playing D was much more fun because I had a much better idea of my role. Hell, I even clicked with the other D guy that night pretty well and we kept the slot and back boards pretty well covered.

get to the hashmarks to break out and keep your stick on the ice. this will give the d-man a target. always keep two handas on your stick and it on the ice becuase you never know when the puck is going to come to you, so you might as well be ready.

Offensive zone: Find open ice and find the passing lanes and put yourself in a position where you can recive passes.

Defensivezone: Cover the D man, you're responsible for everything from the blueline to the mid level of the circle, to the center of the zone. Clog the lanes and watch their eyes and body movement.