Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

I <3 Steve Jobs

A phone needs to work under all kinds of mistreatment and I know so many people who have iPod problems that I would be leery of these until the jury comes back. Heck, wasn't there a class action filed against Apple because of the iPod's rather limited durability ?

The big one for me, though, is that there is no way you'd be able to dial that thing without looking. Voice dialing sucks. I need to be able to dial by touch. With most smaller form-factor phones this is hard, with an all touch-screen device it seems like it would be impossible.

Apple does not manufactuer there own goods. This will be made by a different company than the company who manufactuers their ipods.

I dont remember any class action suit, and I think I would remember, but I could be wrong.

Steven Christ said that this is "the best touch screen EVER" and I believe it. You know where the keys are, so you will get used to using it without looking.

What about battery life? All the apps must take up alot of power. The ipods just (30/60g) before the newest ones had crap battery life.

12 hours wasnt enough for you? The new ipods have the same exact batteries, the extended life is due to firware upgrades. You will get 12 hours of music and 5 hours of phone life from the iPhone

I don't see this phone having as much immediate impact as all the anticipation seems because of the price and the fact that third party applications will not be available. the technology that apple has showcased will definately make future phones from all manufacturers better though

People said the same thing about the original 1G 5GB iPod that was MAC ONLY and 500 bucks...

A phone needs to work under all kinds of mistreatment and I know so many people who have iPod problems that I would be leery of these until the jury comes back. Heck, wasn't there a class action filed against Apple because of the iPod's rather limited durability ?

The big one for me, though, is that there is no way you'd be able to dial that thing without looking. Voice dialing sucks. I need to be able to dial by touch. With most smaller form-factor phones this is hard, with an all touch-screen device it seems like it would be impossible.

Apple does not manufactuer there own goods. This will be made by a different company than the company who manufactuers their ipods.

I dont remember any class action suit, and I think I would remember, but I could be wrong.

Steven Christ said that this is "the best touch screen EVER" and I believe it. You know where the keys are, so you will get used to using it without looking.

What about battery life? All the apps must take up alot of power. The ipods just (30/60g) before the newest ones had crap battery life.

12 hours wasnt enough for you? The new ipods have the same exact batteries, the extended life is due to firware upgrades. You will get 12 hours of music and 5 hours of phone life from the iPhone

12 hours :lol: more like 4/5 tops well at least for mine.

Unless the touch screen has or can generate raised edges, I just don't see how it can be useable by feel alone. I've used many phones with raised edges on the keypad, and many phones with discrete buttons that are impossible to dial accurately without looking. When you're dialing without looking you're usually feeling the other keys for clues as to where your finger needs to be. A touch screen is not going to be able to provide those clues.

As for unlocking the phone and using it with another carrier, Cingular had to make a number of changes to accomodate this thing, so some of the features (e.g. visual voicemail) will almost certainly not work. Even so, unlocking it may be far more difficult than unlocking a typical phone.

As for unlocking the phone and using it with another carrier, Cingular had to make a number of changes to accomodate this thing, so some of the features (e.g. visual voicemail) will almost certainly not work. Even so, unlocking it may be far more difficult than unlocking a typical phone.

unlocking it wont be more difficult. Unlocking is very simple, and there are many services that will do it for you (such as www.wirelessimports.com) if you dont know how.

and Cisco has announced the lawsuit over the name

Yeah, I was really surprised when they released the phone as the iPhone. There was an article on a rumors site refering to the Cisco iPhone saying that Apple could run into troubles.

I say iTalk sounds pretty cool... some people like iChat Mobile (iChat is a mac instant messaging program).

Im not sure, i think that would be a huge risk changing the name after it has been anounced. Maybe they will fight cisco or pay them for the name.

Im not sure, i think that would be a huge risk changing the name after it has been anounced. Maybe they will fight cisco or pay them for the name.

this might sound stupid, but whats cisco?

i havent ever heard of their phones

this might sound stupid, but whats cisco?

i havent ever heard of their phones

Cisco makes router switches for businesses. They have a division called Linksys that makes the iPhone product. Big bad business that has the funds to take a lawsuit to a company like Apple, so it'll be interesting to see how they settle since both could fund a big legal battle if they wanted, but neither probably do.

I'm guessing what ever happens Apple already has it planned out. There is no way they would have released the product and not planned on action by Cisco. I predict an out of court settlement allowing Apple to continue using the name.

Interesting that you can't insure PDA phones, looking at the list almost half of Cingular's phones are uninsurable. Funny that the only ones you can insure are the ones that aren't really worth it.

Some places are worse. One of the carriers here doesn't allow anything from the Razr on up to be insured at all, plus their insurance is horrible to begin with.

Wow, I never knew other companies insurance was that limited. My carrier (US Cellular) allows of their phones to be insured including smartphones / PDAs.

Hm.. I wonder if a phone can be put on homeowners / renters insurance (deductible might be kinda high but would probably still be worth it for the iPhone and the like).

Cisco and Apple were already in negotiations for using the name.

cisco didn't want any cash, they just wanted apple to use some of their technology in the phone over another outside companies.

apple said "ok, yeah, fine, we'll get the papers to you before the announcement" and the papers never came. :lol:

For everyone complaining that it will get scratched, just buy an Invisible Shield for this after one is developed. I have one on my iPod and it is the greatest accessory I ever bought, well besides my Shures.

they are standard rates, no more than the regular data packages. The data package I was using with my 8125 was actually more and had less features.

lol, what a great money making idea!

eBay Item number: 250136702216

$200 just to get someone to wait in line for you on the iPhone debut date.

I have currently been sitting in line for 5 hours waiting for my iphone Im just glad I found a network i could crack so I could go online. A lot of people here plan on sellin theres on ebay. I really think they are gonna be screwed and will end up losing $. We will see tho... 1 hour left!