Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KYHockey3

who will win the super bowl?

wich team?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well i agree that caldwell was interfered with, but on the other play where there was nobody within 15 yards of im and he dropped the ball... i think they even out. somehow.

Not exactly, since it would have been first down at the one, while the other was just a bonehead play and resulted in 2nd and 10 (maybe 3rd).

Look, I freely admit I'm bitter. And I freely admit I shouldn't be since I'm a 44-year-old man who didn't play in the game, and I should be old enough to realize it just isn't important in the grand scheme -- especially after enjoying three SB's in the past five years. But after six months of following a team, it kind of stinks when calls that blatant aren't made.

Again, however, the twleve men in the huddle was more crucial, and a mistake that champions don't make.

The reason that wasn't called is because the rule isn't just touching a receiver, it's keeping him from catching a catchable ball. Watch Caldwell, although shoved he didn't move at all, it didn't keep him from having the same chance on the ball he would have had if the DB kept his hands at his sides.

I agree with your interpretation of the rule, but after replaying a number of times on Tivo, I disagree that Caldwell's (or actually could have been Gaffney) body wasn't pushed out of position to make a catch.

It was an unfathomable call, but there's no denying the Colts wore down the Pats in the second half. It was apparent in the running plays. The Pats had been stout against the run all season, yet Indy was picking up 4-5 yards at a time. I think two cross-country trips, a slugfest against the Chargers, flu running through the locker room, and Indy's potent offense was just too much to handle. When I had watched every game this season and heard names being called that I had only heard three times previously for making a special teams' tackle, it was obvious the defense was gasping.

That said, what I found frustrating is they still had a chance to ice the game prior to a bonehead 12 men in the huddle, as well as they most likely should have been up seven at that point.

the guy completely grabbed his arm and interfered with him from catch the ball no doubt, that shouldve been called and even if caldwell caught that 2nd dropped ball it wouldnt have mattered to much unless he broke a tackle cause bethea was within 5-6 yards of him by the time the ball got there

Those brady playoff comeback numbers were pretty bogus too. They all ended on a FG, and said kicker was on the other sideline.

Well, if the parameters are a QB has to score a touchdown, then virtually every famous QB of the past thirty years has to have his comeback numbers deflated, since most of them lead their team into position for a FG. Peyton obviously was an exception this Sunday, yet it was a running play, so if FG's don't count I would imagine running plays shouldn't either.

By the way, I rewatched the play this morning and, even though Caldwell was being shoved prior to the ball's arrival, he was able to easily reach up his right hand to the ball, so it's crazy the refs assumed the ball was uncatchable. My take on it is the DB knew he it was catchable and took his chances on 1st and Goal at the one; instead, he got lucky and it became 4th and 7 from the ten.

Also, it's ironic this happened between these two teams because Bill Polian always complained about rough stuff from the Patriots' secondary. He wasn't complaining about pass interference like this instance, because those are calls the refs have to make. Instead, he was complaining that the Pats would take advantage of the no contact after five yards, sometimes hitting the receiver at seven yards past the line of scrimmage to disrupt timing. The Pats philosphy was the refs weren't always in postion to determine the five yard mark, so they'd take advantage of the gray area. Polian became so incensed with the Pats secondary that he brought it up to the Rules Committee, leading to the "point of emphasis."

Being a Raven's fan, I hope the colts get blown out. Althogh i dont think this will happen, Bears will deffinitely win. With that D and how they shut down the Saints, the #1 offense, I think indy will be hard pressed to score. I think it all lies in the hands of Rex and how he does. It will be a good game though.

The interesting thing is how ineffective the Bears D was at times at stopping Brees from throwing when and where he wanted. Manning could very well exploit that and march it down the field all day long. Not that my opinion on this is worth much since I'm 0 to eleventy-billion on my predictions for this year, but it should be a good game.

Being a Raven's fan, I hope the colts get blown out. Althogh i dont think this will happen, Bears will deffinitely win. With that D and how they shut down the Saints, the #1 offense, I think indy will be hard pressed to score. I think it all lies in the hands of Rex and how he does. It will be a good game though.

Being a Ravens fan...you want Da Bears to win so Trent Dilfer isn't the worst QB to win a SB.

I have a feeling this willnot be a close game. Which is unfortunate because I don't particularly like the Colts. I just think the Bears are going to be over-matched here. I mean the NFC is like a JV league lately. I am thoroughly unimpressed with the level of competition in that conference. Combine that with Rex Grossman pulling the trigger and I think this game could be over by the half. Which is fine becuase i have a game about that time anyway..lol

There was an interesting blog on jaguars.com about a change in the rules most of us probably never realized. In this case, yes, it had some affect on the complexion of the game, but what's enlightening about it is even some announcers don't realize the rule changed. In the following exchange, Jacob is responding to something VIc Ketchman posted on jaguars.com

Jacob from Weymouth, MA: “He was face-guarding. You’re not permitted to do that. It’s been that way forever. You can’t shadow a receiver for the purpose of blocking his vision of the ball. That’s what Hobbs was doing. It was an easy call.†Vic, you should check your NFL rules book. Face-guarding was made legal in the NFL six or seven years ago. Learn the rules before you make blatantly wrong claims.

Vic: I bow to your superior intellect. I checked out what you are saying and you are absolutely correct. Face-guarding was discontinued several years ago and I completely missed it. I talked to Dean Blandino in the league office and he confirmed what you’re saying. Blandino, by the way, was in the replay booth at the Patriots-Colts game. Ellis Hobbs should not have been flagged for pass-interference. He didn’t make contact with the receiver and in no way did Hobbs impede Reggie Wayne’s ability to catch the pass. Blandino confirmed that the incorrect call was made. It advanced the ball from the Patriots’ 19-yard line to the one-yard line and was the big play in a touchdown drive that led to a two-point conversion and a tie game at 21-21. Referee Bill Carollo made no reference to face-guarding in his explanation, but CBS analyst Phil Simms did. Apparently, he, too, doesn’t know the rule no longer exists. The next time you hear a TV analyst say, “he wasn’t playing the ball,†think of the Hobbs play, then turn down the sound.

I never realized the league had changed the rule. I assumed that Hobbs had made a dumb play by not turning for the ball; instead, it was perfect coverage.