Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

w1zard

composite paddles

i was just wondering if anyone has used or heard of anything about the composite paddles that have come out recently. i think that they would break pretty easily when deflecting a slap shot or something of the sort. my friend offered to get me a vapor xx for around $70 which is about what i paid for the tps rubber i've been using, but i havent heard anything really about any composites. what do you guys think? and i know they use pro curves like the sher-wood lalime but do many pros actually use the composites?

how long have you guys had the sticks, and do you use them for inline or ice? i figured that for inline it wouldn't take as much abuse due to the lighter pucks.

I've used composite sticks from a wide variety of companies. Unfortunately, my favorite is no longer available but I still have a couple of them. The advantage to a composite stick is consistency, meaning that you have the same feel to the stick game after game and stick after stick. This doesn't mean that you will necessarily get more longevity out of a single stick so if that is what you are looking for then I'd stick with wood or foam-core. They won't be guaranteed to last longer either but you can find much cheaper sticks in those two classes.

::m

I've tried the NBH Vapor XXX. I liked it and thought it had suprising good feel for a composite...but I couldn't see myself spending that much on goalie stick.

Also tried the TPS summit, composite paddle with wood shaft, The blade became very flexible after a few uses. Although it didn't break there is too much play in it, when I deflect a shot I can feel the blade twisting.

I've got one of those Rbk premier 2 6k sticks.. not sure if they are composite or not but the paddle feels like it... i cracked one like the second week i had it in a practise with the lewiston maineics . i just picked up another.. they are nice sticks but im not sure on the durability

My experience with composite sticks have been hit or miss. My first 2 XXs (Bauer branded) lasted ~ 9 ice times each before the paddle cracked. I'm currently using a NBH branded XX and it has lasted me since November playing 3-4 times a week. Don't know if the batches have changed some but this has been my experience.

It's a personal thing. I did a lot of testing for one company while they developed their composite sticks, this has left me with a preference for them. Just haven't found a wood or foam-core that matches the feel and playability of the comps that I've used.

::m

I have been using the CCM Heaton H10 for 3 years now, 2nd or 3rd stick so far, sayz graphite comp on the shaft, I like the weight and feel of it compared to wood sticks. I know I paid a bundle for it, but whats an alternative to that model for durability, weight and price. I haven't been reading up much til my stick (recently) is giving way to nicks and chip along the paddle, so question is what the diff, graphite, composite and foam core paddles? if I could get the crease gurus advise on, durability, weight and price.

i purhased the bauer vapor xxx last yrs model for 149 at a tent sale and man let me tell u its the lightest goalie stick out there i been using it since i purchased it for 2 months and its been holding up so far ...i also had a bauer xx and somebody took a slapper and hit it in the handle and it snapped into 2 pieces i mean lighter is better but the quality might be like a regular player comp stick

I own a hockey store and can have any composite goal stick at cost. Do I own one? Nope. Biggest waste of money. There is no significant performance reason to go composite, nor is there any durability advantage. I see customers all the time who go thru many of these things, some last a few games, some a half season. Bottom line is they are xpensive. If you think they make you a better goalie, then get one. Us store owners love you guys! :-) I use a Sherwood 530 prostock RANFORD, $29.99. Play 4 times a week, go thru 3 a yr. Total $60

so cheap wood ones are better or as good as composite? and what about graphite?

by the way Jimmy can you ship downunder? if so could you email me cyclonesgoalie@yahoo.com

My fault, I thought that price was his cost.

Actually, I bought a dozen of these from Cyclone Taylor online, not thru my store. They were ridicously low price, even with shipping was a good deal. Cheaper than if I would have bought direct from Sherwood. The real point is, I believe a wood goal stick last longer. I actually like the rebound control better with wood than with comp or even foam core sticks. Again, personal preference but do comps give goalies a performance advantage, that's be very hard to prove.

My fault, I thought that price was his cost.

Actually, I bought a dozen of these from Cyclone Taylor online, not thru my store. They were ridicously low price, even with shipping was a good deal. Cheaper than if I would have bought direct from Sherwood. The real point is, I believe a wood goal stick last longer. I actually like the rebound control better with wood than with comp or even foam core sticks. Again, personal preference but do comps give goalies a performance advantage, that's be very hard to prove.

I've wondered why some people would pay $100+ for a stick which has the main purpose of taking abuse. Goalie sticks aren't like your regular player stick where having a good feel, etc. will make a significant difference. Sure, a lightweight goalie stick is a good thing, but there are plenty of wood sticks out there that are just as light as the composite ones. Goalies are just getting caught up in the hype surrounding composite OPS's much like most regular players did. And having my own shop as well, I don't mind. I sell the NBH XX Goal Stick for $119.99 and I can't keep them in stock.

Exactly. Goalies have let me down by getting caught up in the hype. I THOUGHT they were smarter than that! They must have lowered the standards for allowing someone to be a goalie. :-)