Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris68

any tips on hockey stopping?

I'm still figuring out weak side stopping.

One thing that helped me is to kind of rotate my hips like I'm "turning" and then kind of bend my knees and sit my butt down a little. And in the process, my outside leg would slide out on the inside edge of the blade. So I did this for about a couple hours, and now I can feel the blade sliding smoother. From there, it's a matter of skating a bit faster and stopping until I'm doing it at full speed.

Im not trying to be a douche, but practice is the only thing that taunt me how to do one properly on both sides, just keep going at it and you'll get it

While learning stops to the left (I'm still working on stops to the right), I seemed to work into them by starting a tight turn. When I got to the point where the slide took place, I was moving in an arc before finally stopping. After a couple of weeks, I managed to get it in a straight line. As the other posts mentioned, think about unweighting yourself just before you start the slide.

One little tip that worked for me was to not watch my feet. I had a bad habit of being unsure of myself, so I'd look down to watch my stop. When you go into your stop, keep your head up and look at the boards, glass, or whatever, just don't look at the ice. This should help with your weight distribution and make your stops easier. At least, that's how it worked for me.

The side benefit of course is that you can keep your eye on the play.