Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wk_style

Ice Court vs. Sport Court

Now last night at my game, I realized that the surface is not the norm that I had grown accustomed to (they redid it).

I think it is ice court, as per the website. Light blue, little holes in the tiles. Seemed extremely slick.

I am used to playing on Sport Court which seems to be a bit more grippy.

I was having serious grip issues and I am not sure why. I use Mission Helium 10Ks with a brand new set of Labeda Dynasty (the pink ones). So how would be the best way to adapt? Is it my wheels or what. Any help would be appreciated.

the next question is, is it the top of the line inline hockey ice court or is it one of the multi-surface types? Like Sportcourt, Ice Court has a product lineup and it could've been cheaper to go with a lesser version of it.

very true. We have ice-court evolution at our rink, and its the best surface ive played on. They use it for State Wars as well.

im not sure what we got at our arena ( eagle ridge roller hockey ) but its a white tile, no holes just plain white.

i think its sportcourt, but ive never asked or cared.. alls i knows is i like it better than i like playing on cement floors that lurk under the ice.

I was told with inline floors (ie Sport Court), that there is a "break-in" process until floor is nice and grippy and fast. I play at the Eagle Ridge Arena (brand new floor) and it's way more slick than any other Sport courts I've played on.

What's your durometer on your wheel, wk_style? Maybe some softer wheels should temporarily alleivate the problem. I've played on Ice court before, and found it to be quite grippy.

The website says it is ice court. http://www.goodsportsusa.com/facility.htm

It used to be sport court. Which I had grown accustomed to.

Looks like tiny perforations in the surface. Yes it is only a week old but my wheels are brand new, x soft dynastys and I was sliding quite a bit. Hope it doesnt last but anyone have any suggestion on grippier wheels if that is the case?

im not sure, thats odd. We have people skating on ours with rink rat vt333 wheels which are a 78a hardness and still have decent grip. With x soft dynastys you should have plenty of grip. Although Im not a big fan of Labeda wheels.

We have Sport Court at my home rink and its the best period (when its clean.) If its dirty its obviously a little slik but still good. Ice Court is just fine skating speed and puck speed wise but that stuff TEARS up wheels like paper. Just last weekend my teamate ripped his two front wheels in half (Rink Rats) and one of my friends had one of his Labeda Genisis wheels torn off. I'd much rather play on Sport Court long term because i dont feel like spending the money on new wheels every month or two...

haha -Family Guy- "In England all they have are drive by arguments... I DISAGREE!" If you dont know what im talking about, just take it as me disagreeing (am i spelling that right?)

There are several versions sport floors from the makers of "Ice Court" as has been stated...

One version (pretty much the first version) has just uniformely spaced patterns of holes. This was the first "ice court" surface, still sold today I believe.

Another has thousands of small projected nodules above the surface which help the puck float and add grip for the wheels (I believe this is the one which tears up the wheels) This floor is the one known as Ice Court "Exxcess"

And a third version which is actually designed as a replacement surface for the older wooden roller floors, so that recreational skaters using quads would feel more comfortable. It has perforations as well, but much fewer, and in a much different pattern than the original "Ice Court" referred to above. This surface is called "Skate Court"....made by the same company.

Strangely enough, it is a facility with this surface that has generated the most rave reports from elite players who have played there. Many refer to it generically as "Ice Court" because it is made by that company. Oddly enough on this particular rink, it is not a surface actually sold for inline hockey....

From players who have played there, always heard "best grip, best puck movement, fastest surface"..heard no complaints about excessive wheel wear either. This is CJ Yoder's father's rink...and ironically the one they refer to when promoting "Ice Court Exxcess" on the company's website..although in fact that particular surface is actually "Skate Court".

There are several versions sport floors from the makers of "Ice Court" as has been stated...

One version (pretty much the first version) has just uniformely spaced patterns of holes. This was the first "ice court" surface, still sold today I believe.

Another has thousands of small projected nodules above the surface which help the puck float and add grip for the wheels (I believe this is the one which tears up the wheels) This floor is the one known as Ice Court "Exxcess"

And a third version which is actually designed as a replacement surface for the older wooden roller floors, so that recreational skaters using quads would feel more comfortable. It has perforations as well, but much fewer, and in a much different pattern than the original "Ice Court" referred to above. This surface is called "Skate Court"....made by the same company.

Strangely enough, it is a facility with this surface that has generated the most rave reports from elite players who have played there. Many refer to it generically as "Ice Court" because it is made by that company. Oddly enough on this particular rink, it is not a surface actually sold for inline hockey....

From players who have played there, always heard "best grip, best puck movement, fastest surface"..heard no complaints about excessive wheel wear either. This is CJ Yoder's father's rink...and ironically the one they refer to when promoting "Ice Court Exxcess" on the company's website..although in fact that particular surface is actually "Skate Court".

Are you referring to the rink I mentioned earlier. GoodSportsUSA in Allaire, NJ? Its brand new so I am clueless.

I just skated at a new facility that has the ice court with the little holes, and I fond that it tears up my wheels and the bottom of my blade, but I feel it is worth it because the floor is so fast.

No the rink I am talking about is down near Harrisburg Pa..."Doc's" which is Charley Yoder's rink.

I didn't know C.J.'s dad had a rink out in PA, Is that where C.J. grew up? he's out in Colorado coaching the Stalions competitive teams and playing PIHA and doing very well at both.

As far as the ice court goes, whatever the stuff used at state wars is is great. nice grip and play, takes a minute to get used to and eats up wheels, but very nice.

No the rink I am talking about is down near Harrisburg Pa..."Doc's" which is Charley Yoder's rink.

I didn't know C.J.'s dad had a rink out in PA, Is that where C.J. grew up? he's out in Colorado coaching the Stalions competitive teams and playing PIHA and doing very well at both.

As far as the ice court goes, whatever the stuff used at state wars is is great. nice grip and play, takes a minute to get used to and eats up wheels, but very nice.

He and Brian both came from PA

ok so new facility (rollin ice) just played on it

it has ice court and i've been playing on sport court for the past 5 years

differences:

FAST: flick of the wrist for a lead pass is enough

HARD: this stuff hurts when u fall on it

ice like

short sweet and to the point

He and Brian both came from PA

Doc's? Junior Typhoon? IMO they are relatively easy to beat. No offense guys, might not be your team/division. But I do know CJ used to play for Marple Gladiators, but married and moved. I guess he moved to Wherever Doc's is.

Doc's was a traditional small wooden floored recreational roller rink, and the rink where CJ grew up as a speed skater. It is owned by his dad, Charlie Yoder who runs/owns PIHA. CJ has not played out of that rink for years, except when they tried to get "Speed Hockey" going and Doc's was converted to a "Speed Hockey" set up.(around 2003 I believe). At that time they converted the boards and floor of that rink to accomodate "Speed Hockey", but they wanted the floor to still work for their recreational quad skaters..hence the use of Skate Court instead of Ice Court. After "Speed Hockey" failed to inspire a television contract, they used to hold monthly ironman tourney's there for elite players...by invitation only pretty much. It was the commentary from these elite players that led to my statements in my first post about the quality of the Ice Court/Skate Court surfaces.

CJ played for the MRLH Gladiators out of Marple for years, and then did a brief stint as GM there, just before taking the job in Colorado. He lived in Harrisburg before that, and used to play and practice at the Susquehanna Sport complex with both Yingling brothers, Jay Mazer, Mattie Denton and a few others who also played for the Mudcats.

I miss speed hockey here. They (Brian and CJ) tried to get it going for our 16+ Gold league on a standard size floor as opposed to the shorter floor and I loved it. Unfortunately too many people didn't like it as much as it was scrapped.