Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devilshockey

Best Russian Player

I know that this is hard to say because OV is in his second year (and he is still in the middle of it), but you can still compare him to the others players second years. or even their career years 76 goals by Moginly or 120pts by Fedorov :o

Fedorov 86pts

Moginly 64pts

Bure 110pts

Kovalev 56pts

Kovalchuk 67pts

Brylin 9pts fan favorite!!!

Gonchar 41pts

Larionov 34pts

Viktor Kozlov 19pts

Slava Kozlov 5pts his real second year I think or 73pts

I was gonna say Makarov but I didn't look up his stats plus I don't know if it would be fair considering he wasn't a young squirrel when he first came to the NHL, and Tretiak never played in the NHL right?

Leaving those two out of it and keeping it NHL, I think Bure has been the most impressive Russian so far in the NHL, but in 20 years Ovechkin will be at the top, IMO

Point taken

Makarov's Stats

Total 519games 322g 388a 710pts

not counting his NHL Career

which includes 424games 134g 250a 384pts

1094pts total points

:o

As far as NHL success?

1. Fedorov (He pretty much leads all Russians in every NHL category, clutch playoff performer)

2. Bure (Hall of famer in my book)

3. Slava Kozlov (IMO the clutchest player of the last 20 years)

4. Larionov (Passing skills that rivaled Gretzky and Lemieux, he just spent most of his career out of the NHL)

5. Mogilny (Hes close to Fedorov in points but not nearly as dynamic)

-----------------

6. Yashin (Probably top five in terms of talent but his hold out and AROD like deal drops him on most peoples lists)

7. Sergei Gonchar (As far from a defenseman as you can get but he was always in "consideration" for the Norris)

8. Kovalchuk (Hes been a point per game player his whole career and baring major injury will eclispe Fedorov and Mogilny in goals before its all over)

9. Datsyuk (Only player that can match Kovalev's puck skills, although he won 1 cup, fans are still waiting for him to lead the team to another)

10. Kovalev (One of, if not the best puck handler in the league, no work ethic)

Its hard for me to include Khabibulin or Nabokov in the conversation but they have been stand out goalies their whole careers.

I also think Oleg Tverdovsky could have been amazing but something went wrong..

As far as Ovechkin goes, I could see him as high as 3rd all time if he keeps up this pace for a decade and has reasonable success in the playoffs.

I think Malkin will have similar numbers to Fedorov, probably not as much hardware though.

Forgot about Yashin probably has something to do with his work ethic :D

forgot about Datsyuk as well, sorry, great player and will most likely eclipse 1000pts, he nvere had a chance to be the man Shanny, Yzerman, Hull etc., until now and he will start shining

Fetisov

In the NHL or just best russian ever?

I only get NHL games around here so I'll stick to what I know. Larionov is #2 for me and Bure #3. It will take Ovechkin a long time to equal what those guys did in the NHL, assuming he ever can.

Considering the state of the NHL< Ovechkin could play a very key role in reviving and renewing the NHL, that considered, I think in years to come Ovechkin could easily surpass most of the Russians in the past as far as impact on the game gos.

if you take into account their ability to totally control a game like all greats do then you'll have to take out more then half that list. sure a lot of them can get points but when it comes to pure heart and love for the game i would have to vote Bure.

There's too many, I can't decided between all those. For sure, my favorite is Kovalev but it's just too hard to say who was the best.

I think many will say Kharlhamov(spelling?) though.

It's a shame Kharlamov & Tretiek never played in the NHL....then you'd be able to gauge them agaisnt all the other greats more easily.

And, there'd be more footage of them, for those of us who missed '72.

Tretiak

Fetisov

Mikhailov

Kharlamov

Larionov

Petrov

Makarov

It's too bad most people didn't get to see these guys in their prime on a regular basis. Those that did get to the NHL were in the twilight of their careers. Had he not been injured, I'd be tempted to include Konstantinov on the list. I think if Fedorov had been able to play in the Soviet system longer he'd be on my list. Bure and Mogilny were too one-dimensional for me, and it's way too early to be talking about Ovechkin or Malkin or Kovalchuk.

I think it's funny how people dislike players for being one dimensional yet in this discussion will list Bure as the best Russian player. He might've been the most entertaining but no way the best.

If the criteria are they played their prime in the NHL (not many of us saw the Russian greats in their prime nor did anyone see them compete in a full NHL season against NHL'er; barring international play), then Fedorov is it hands down.

Everyone judges players on Cup rings, points, defensive/offensive play, playoff performance except for some reason that seems to be missing in this discussion. Fedorov had it all.

No offense to anyone else who disagrees but this discussion seems to be different than other "best of all time" discussions.

I love Mogilny, and Kovalev too, but give me one piece of hard evidence they were better players than Fedorov, same goes for Kovalchuk, another goal scorer.

Fedorov was the Michael Jordan of Hockey in the fact that he could dominate offensively by scoring or passing AND played amazing defense.

In NHL terms it has to be Fedorov 1 and Bure 2.

Fedorov won, won multiple trophies including the selke, hart and cup. Bure could have had half a dozen Rocket Richards if it existed but he still didn't have a two way game. He was a vital part of the 94 Canucks but didn't take them over the top. His Florida days were forgetable at best, lots of goals but zero success.

Fedorov may be in the twilight of his career but his first 10 years was Hall Of Fame worthly. Bure is on the fence, I think he'll eventually get in, definitally not first ballot.

Fedorov:

Goals Per Game, first ten seasons: .448

Assists Per Game, first ten seasons: .644

Points Per Game, first ten seasons: 1.09

+/- during time span = + 229

All time playoff Points per game: 1.01

* NHL All-Rookie Team - 1991

* Played in NHL All-Star Game - 1992, 1994, 1996, 2002, 2003

* Frank J. Selke Trophy - 1994, 1996

* Hart Memorial Trophy - 1994

* Lester B. Pearson Award - 1994

* 3 time Stanley Cup Champion

Bure:

Goals Per Game, first ten seasons: .645

Assists Per Game, first ten seasons: .452

Points Per Game, first ten seasons:1.14

+/- during time span = + 43

* Calder Memorial Trophy - 1992

* Maurice 'Rocket' Richard Trophy - 2000, 2001

* Played in 6 NHL All-Star Games - 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001.

All time playoff Points per game: 1.09

Its very close but winning goes a long way. I think Fedorov gets the edge.

Fedorov:

Goals Per Game, first ten seasons: .448

Assists Per Game, first ten seasons: .644

Points Per Game, first ten seasons: 1.09

+/- during time span = + 229

All time playoff Points per game: 1.01

* NHL All-Rookie Team - 1991

* Played in NHL All-Star Game - 1992, 1994, 1996, 2002, 2003

* Frank J. Selke Trophy - 1994, 1996

* Hart Memorial Trophy - 1994

* Lester B. Pearson Award - 1994

* 3 time Stanley Cup Champion

Bure:

Goals Per Game, first ten seasons: .645

Assists Per Game, first ten seasons: .452

Points Per Game, first ten seasons:1.14

+/- during time span = + 43

* Calder Memorial Trophy - 1992

* Maurice 'Rocket' Richard Trophy - 2000, 2001

* Played in 6 NHL All-Star Games - 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001.

All time playoff Points per game: 1.09

Its very close but winning goes a long way. I think Fedorov gets the edge.

and the winner is the freak boy in a tight one :blink: