Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devilshockey

Best Russian Player

Valery Kharlamov... The best russian player ever! Bar none! Some russians say he was better than Wayne gretzky!

Whoa, dammit it's all my parents fault, they should've had me sooner too see that

hahah funny!! Hilarious.... You really are...

I aint old enough to have seen him play in person or on TV. But i have spent alot of time training in easten europe and a coach recomended we watched a video. Truly stunning!

Great post and I totally agree with you with the Kovalev & Fedorov part...

First you have to understand how Russia hockey works, which is unit of 5 not 3+2, so most of the guys are not great on individual achievement and only as a unit. Secondly they train and play together from young age for many years, so it becomes a machine. For me there is no best player, never was and never will be, and it doesn’t matter if he’s Russian , American or Canadian, because that kind of player has to have no weekends and must excel in all categorized you could possible make up for a perfect hockey player.

Harlamov was the most talented player in the offensive zone, but they were trained to play their position and not two way game, more of a 5 unit game. The most skillful player of all time I would say Kovalev, no one can touch his skill from 50 years back, and my guess another 50 years will go by and we’ll never see such a smooth player with so much skill, although Federov is close second for smoothness.

I would say Federov is a complete player, but only because he moved to North America at young age, if he played his whole career in Russia he would be more of an offensive player then a two way.

I remember when Detroit came to play the leafs about 8-9 years a go or so I always went, and every time he had the puck you can hear 17,000 fans inhale and stop breathing for a moment since they were so afraid and didn’t know what he will do, then if he would loose it you can hear those 17,000 exhale – that was my favorite memory of the NHL

But to be honest some of the most dominating Russian players never got exposed in North America because it was before 1972, so even finding videos would be very hard.

So in my opinion the best Russian player of all time is Anatoly Firsov, even though I wasn’t even born when he finished his career, but from having discussions with my dad back in Russia many say he was they guy who would take your breath away when you watched him play.

Here is an interesting interview with him, please read all of it, some very interesting stuff there:

http://www.pbs.org/redfiles/sports/deep/in...toly_firsov.htm

On slightly different topic, I was lucky enough to see live few games of the KLM line and the Russian 5 at their prime. Back when I was kid, my dad took me to few games, and I went to few by myself, including Priz Izvestiya Cup which is during NHL playoffs so team Canada had only half of the guys who were knocked out or didn’t make the playoffs, but still for us it was such a big deal. When I first saw team Canada skate on the ice e with those cool white and red jerseys for us it was like seeing Aliens form futuristic utopian society, that I wanted to come up to one of the players and touch him with my pointing finger to see if it was all real or not. It’s hard to explain the feeling, it’s like when you take your clothes from the laundry it has that fresh and cool smell to it, multiply that by 1000 that’s’ what I felt when I saw team Canada take the ice and throughout the whole game. Now of course I’ve grown to hate you guys :-). But back then I thought they were the coolest looking players on the planet, I was still a die hard Russian fan and wanted us to win but in a 5:4 score and not a blow out, today my views have changed I want a blow out :-).

The Russian 5 was unlike anything I ever saw, you know when you watch the game on TV or live you can see the whole rink from the top so in your head you can think of plays 1 or 2 secs before they develop and can anticipate them or see things you think players on the ice don’t see. Well when they played it was the opposite, these guys developed plays from nothing into scoring chances which you can never anticipate, I guess with today’s game we’ll never see that kind of hockey ever again.

Back then there was true concept of a team meaning no one player could be much better then his line mates, and if he was better, coaches would get on the backs of those who were behind. Plus every player had a specialty which can only work in 5 unit combo, also no one player got more money then the other, so they didn't have that drive for bonuses like today.

Just to mix it up a little bit we have to throw in few more old names like Yakushev, Maltsev, Mayorov brothers, Shalimov, Krutov, and many others.

Cheers

First you have to understand how Russia hockey works, which is unit of 5 not 3+2, so most of the guys are not great on individual achievement and only as a unit. Secondly they train and play together from young age for many years, so it becomes a machine. For me there is no best player, never was and never will be, and it doesn’t matter if he’s Russian , American or Canadian, because that kind of player has to have no weekends and must excel in all categorized you could possible make up for a perfect hockey player.

Harlamov was the most talented player in the offensive zone, but they were trained to play their position and not two way game, more of a 5 unit game. The most skillful player of all time I would say Kovalev, no one can touch his skill from 50 years back, and my guess another 50 years will go by and we’ll never see such a smooth player with so much skill, although Federov is close second for smoothness.

I would say Federov is a complete player, but only because he moved to North America at young age, if he played his whole career in Russia he would be more of an offensive player then a two way.

I remember when Detroit came to play the leafs about 8-9 years a go or so I always went, and every time he had the puck you can hear 17,000 fans inhale and stop breathing for a moment since they were so afraid and didn’t know what he will do, then if he would loose it you can hear those 17,000 exhale – that was my favorite memory of the NHL

But to be honest some of the most dominating Russian players never got exposed in North America because it was before 1972, so even finding videos would be very hard.

So in my opinion the best Russian player of all time is Anatoly Firsov, even though I wasn’t even born when he finished his career, but from having discussions with my dad back in Russia many say he was they guy who would take your breath away when you watched him play.

Here is an interesting interview with him, please read all of it, some very interesting stuff there:

http://www.pbs.org/redfiles/sports/deep/in...toly_firsov.htm

On slightly different topic, I was lucky enough to see live few games of the KLM line and the Russian 5 at their prime. Back when I was kid, my dad took me to few games, and I went to few by myself, including Priz Izvestiya Cup which is during NHL playoffs so team Canada had only half of the guys who were knocked out or didn’t make the playoffs, but still for us it was such a big deal. When I first saw team Canada skate on the ice e with those cool white and red jerseys for us it was like seeing Aliens form futuristic utopian society, that I wanted to come up to one of the players and touch him with my pointing finger to see if it was all real or not. It’s hard to explain the feeling, it’s like when you take your clothes from the laundry it has that fresh and cool smell to it, multiply that by 1000 that’s’ what I felt when I saw team Canada take the ice and throughout the whole game. Now of course I’ve grown to hate you guys :-). But back then I thought they were the coolest looking players on the planet, I was still a die hard Russian fan and wanted us to win but in a 5:4 score and not a blow out, today my views have changed I want a blow out :-).

The Russian 5 was unlike anything I ever saw, you know when you watch the game on TV or live you can see the whole rink from the top so in your head you can think of plays 1 or 2 secs before they develop and can anticipate them or see things you think players on the ice don’t see. Well when they played it was the opposite, these guys developed plays from nothing into scoring chances which you can never anticipate, I guess with today’s game we’ll never see that kind of hockey ever again.

Back then there was true concept of a team meaning no one player could be much better then his line mates, and if he was better, coaches would get on the backs of those who were behind. Plus every player had a specialty which can only work in 5 unit combo, also no one player got more money then the other, so they didn't have that drive for bonuses like today.

Just to mix it up a little bit we have to throw in few more old names like Yakushev, Maltsev, Mayorov brothers, Shalimov, Krutov, and many others.

Cheers

my early vote for post of the year :blink: really though good post!

Kovalev may be talented but hes the last player I would want on my team from the top ten I had a couple pages back. Those fancy moves are great in practice but he barely puts them to use in game. Its actually painful to watch the Olympics because he domiantes so much more for Team Russia when he could be doing the same in the NHL. Not as disappointing as Kovalchuk only scoring 5 goals when hes on a line with Datsyuk and Kovalev.. but thats a different story :lol:

Kovalev can be the most dominant player in the game when he wants too but the switch is not often to on. I'll take him in my team though because I would know how to use him...

Kovalev may be talented but hes the last player I would want on my team from the top ten I had a couple pages back. Those fancy moves are great in practice but he barely puts them to use in game. Its actually painful to watch the Olympics because he domiantes so much more for Team Russia when he could be doing the same in the NHL. Not as disappointing as Kovalchuk only scoring 5 goals when hes on a line with Datsyuk and Kovalev.. but thats a different story :lol:

Kovalev can be the most dominant player in the game when he wants too but the switch is not often to on. I'll take him in my team though because I would know how to use him...

So you're better than any coach he's had? You wouldn't know how to use him--no one would. He's a lost cause because he's in his prime, yet isn't. As talented as he is, that just makes it more pathetic what he's done in the NHL.

I never said I wouldn't take him, he would just be last on my list of ten. Hes a great skater and probably the best stickhandler in the league. But there are certain things that he lacks that really hurts his cause. Hes not a team player, he seriously should never have an A or C on an NHL Jersey. Team Russia is different, he takes it to a whole other level on the international stage.

My list again:

1. Fedorov (He pretty much leads all Russians in every NHL category, clutch playoff performer)

2. Bure (Hall of famer in my book)

3. Slava Kozlov (IMO the clutchest player of the last 20 years)

4. Larionov (Passing skills that rivaled Gretzky and Lemieux, he just spent most of his career out of the NHL)

5. Mogilny (Hes close to Fedorov in points but not nearly as dynamic)

-----------------

6. Yashin (Probably top five in terms of talent but his hold out and AROD like deal drops him on most peoples lists)

7. Sergei Gonchar (As far from a defenseman as you can get but he was always in "consideration" for the Norris)

8. Kovalchuk (Hes been a point per game player his whole career and baring major injury will eclispe Fedorov and Mogilny in goals before its all over)

9. Datsyuk (Only player that can match Kovalev's puck skills, although he won 1 cup, fans are still waiting for him to lead the team to another)

10. Kovalev (One of, if not the best puck handler in the league, no work ethic)

No order really, as of today it would probably start with Kozlov, have Datsyuk somewhere in the middle and end with Kovalev.

No, I'm not better then these coaches but I'll be better then them to coach Kovy. You need to be on his side not against him like all coaches he has had. The only coach who was ever good with him was not even a coach, it was Mario Lemieux.

So you're better than any coach he's had?

No, I'm not better then these coaches but I'll be better then them to coach Kovy. You need to be on his side not against him like all coaches he has had. The only coach who was ever good with him was not even a coach, it was Mario Lemieux.

So you're better than any coach he's had?

Since every coach has been "against" him, do you honestly believe that every coach is wrong and only he is right?

Most coaches don't have an automatic bias against a player. His play gathered a reputation and thats what coaches go by. Is he talented? Yes Is he lazy? Yes

And that whole Fedorov vs Kovalev thing.. let me know when Kovy whens a Selke or even came close..

lol.......kovalev WAS good but he had about 3 good years and then got lazy.....without a doubt ilya kovalchuk is and will be the best russian of all time.....he needs to work on his discipline but hell get really really good.....i can see 70 goals coming from him in a few seasons.....and by the way.....i just learned alex mogily was a russian like 3 months ago....ouch

lol.......kovalev WAS good but he had about 3 good years and then got lazy.....without a doubt ilya kovalchuk is and will be the best russian of all time.....he needs to work on his discipline but hell get really really good.....i can see 70 goals coming from him in a few seasons.....and by the way.....i just learned alex mogily was a russian like 3 months ago....ouch

Kovalchuk isn't even close to vintage Fedorov, Bure or Mogilny. Add in the fact you had no idea Mogilny was russian. :blink:

Thats like debating the greatest Canadian in NHL history and having no idea Lemieux was Canadian.

funny....it wasnt my fault,no one ever knows anythn about hockey hardly where im from.in the small town were i am i say the name Jari kurri and they go "who???".....thats why i joined msh and easton....cause no other kids were knowing what im talking about.....but i didnt say hes gonna be vintage anyone...hes gonna be the best russian of all time no doubt....and is the best russain of all time actually.....next to igor laronov even though he hardy played

funny....it wasnt my fault,no one ever knows anythn about hockey hardly where im from.in the small town were i am i say the name Jari kurri and they go "who???".....thats why i joined msh and easton....cause no other kids were knowing what im talking about.....but i didnt say hes gonna be vintage anyone...hes gonna be the best russian of all time no doubt....and is the best russain of all time actually.....next to igor laronov even though he hardy played

Hate to break it to you but Ovechkin is already out pacing Kovalchuk in goals and points.

Kovalchuk's goals per game average over career: .53

Ovechkin's goals per game average over career: .63

Kovalchuk's points per game average over career: .99

Ovechkin's points per game average over career: 1.29

Ovechkin has been in the league for a season and a half and already has half the goals Kovalchuk scored in four and a half seasons. Kovy has a rocket richard and Ovy has a Calder.

So baring major injury Ovechkin is already the better player and will be for the next decade.

Federov--in addition to the hardware he won, he deserved the Conn Smythe in 1997.

When discussing Bure, do not forget Nagano--his five goal game against Finland in the semis was one of the best individual performances in the history of hockey.

Federov was the more complete player.

Both belong in the HHOF.

Hate to break it to you but Ovechkin is already out pacing Kovalchuk in goals and points.

Ovechkin has been in the league for a season and a half and already has half the goals Kovalchuk scored in four and a half seasons. Kovy has a rocket richard and Ovy has a Calder.

So baring major injury Ovechkin is already the better player and will be for the next decade.

look....i dont care if ovechkin has 4145646 points in one year....its kovalchuks reliability....defenseve zone coverage....and his team WINS!!!

his team has good enough management to build around him while the caps just say "backstrom,there done"....and i dont recall the thrashers trading jaromir jagr for anson carter...its a case of dumbness here on the caps part...and i bet your thinking "it dosent matter if your team wins!!!" well guess what,it does....hes a leader while ovechkins a floater....and funny that you mention long term injureis...."one of these days....hes gonna get it"-Don cherry....and dont mess with don cherrys intelligence....GO KOVYCHUK!!!

look....i dont care if ovechkin has 4145646 points in one year....its kovalchuks reliability....defenseve zone coverage....and his team WINS!!!

his team has good enough management to build around him while the caps just say "backstrom,there done"....and i dont recall the thrashers trading jaromir jagr for anson carter...its a case of dumbness here on the caps part...and i bet your thinking "it dosent matter if your team wins!!!" well guess what,it does....hes a leader while ovechkins a floater....and funny that you mention long term injureis...."one of these days....hes gonna get it"-Don cherry....and dont mess with don cherrys intelligence....GO KOVYCHUK!!!

The Thrashers haven't even sniffed the playoffs for the last five years, coincidentally they've had tons of great young players fall into their laps.. Lehtonen, Coburn, Valabik.

The Caps are only 8 points out of a playoff spot and this is Ovechkin's second season. Kovalchuk has been on the Thrashers for five seasons and the only thing that put them over the top was Marian Hossa. Oveckin has 20 more points and is a -11 +/-. Kovalchuk is a 0 +/-, so I don't think his defense is quite up to snuff yet. Not to mention Kovy is a -59 for his career and was a -24 during his second season.

The Thrashers haven't even sniffed the playoffs for the last five years, coincidentally they've had tons of great young players fall into their laps.. Lehtonen, Coburn, Valabik.

The Caps are only 8 points out of a playoff spot and this is Ovechkin's second season. Kovalchuk has been on the Thrashers for five seasons and the only thing that put them over the top was Marian Hossa. Oveckin has 20 more points and is a -11 +/-. Kovalchuk is a 0 +/-, so I don't think his defense is quite up to snuff yet. Not to mention Kovy is a -59 for his career and was a -24 during his second season.

kovalchuk is more reliable.....he dosent score more points because thats hossas role....hes on like the 2nd line....ovechkin gets like pronger time and floats by the blueline for about 15 minutes a game....kovalchuk is a PP specialist and is bigger and SMARTER.....and atlants is 2nd in the east....that tells you sumthin

kovalchuk is more reliable.....he dosent score more points because thats hossas role....hes on like the 2nd line....ovechkin gets like pronger time and floats by the blueline for about 15 minutes a game....kovalchuk is a PP specialist and is bigger and SMARTER.....and atlants is 2nd in the east....that tells you sumthin

Kovalchuk is an inch smaller and 5lbs lighter, he doesn't hit like Ovechkin and "Power play specialist" is usually considered a bad title.

The most Ovechkin has played in a game this season is 28 minutes against Atlanta, Kovalchuk played 30 against Toronto.

Don't get me wrong I like Kovy but hes not better then Ovechkin. Ovechkin is to Jagr as Kovalchuk is to Bure.

Did someone mention Kovalchuk and defense in the same sentence? Youre joking right? Atlanta drafted Kovalchuk to score goals, all he cares about is scoring goals, he has a poor work ethic, and this year he hasnt done much of anything with consistency. Im sure it will be an off year for him as Hartley is trying to make him an all around player, but lets face it, Kovalchuk is a goal scorer. And if Kovalchuk isnt out there to score more points then what is he there to do?

Zach

Best Russian of all time, I hope we're not just talking about the skaters. I've always wondered how Tretiak would have done in the NHL. He was one heck of a goalie!!!

As for skaters, Bure has my vote.

Best Russian of all time, I hope we're not just talking about the skaters. I've always wondered how Tretiak would have done in the NHL. He was one heck of a goalie!!!

As for skaters, Bure has my vote.

The consensus of this thread was Best Russian NHL player of all-time. Best Russian, sure Tretiak would be considerd but he never really faced an 82 game NHL grind.