Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devilshockey

Best Russian Player

Fedorov was a much more complete player in the NHL than Bure ever was. I don't recall any coach asking Bure to play defence. Scotty Bowman had Fedorov play the blue line in Detroit. That is skill, talent, and ability that adds up to the total package.

Since I remember watching the CCCP super teams come to North America and destroy NHL teams, there are a few players from Russia that were awesome to watch. These players were beyond great and what made them was their skill set when playing as a line. The Boris Mikhailov-Valeri Kharlamov-Vladimir Petrov line was dynamite in the 70s. This line introduced the Russian style of tic-tac-toe passing in the attack zone. They also showed the NHL that if you reach the blue line with no options, then turn around, re-group, and start another rush. This style played with everyone's head in North America. I went to the first two Challenge Cup games in 1979 at Madison Square Garden. This line put on a clinic in team play. Mikhailov was the MVP. The second CCCP super line was Sergei Makarov-Igor Larionov-Vladimir Krutov, aka as the KLM line. This group dominated for CCCP in the 80s. Pull out the Canada Cup 87 video and watch these guys work. They could pass so quickly that little chubby Krutov scored more goals from tip ins at the crease than you could believe. This line was physically small but dominant. They made it to the NHL but were all on different teams. Krutov was a bust in Vancouver as his heart wasn't in it without the other two. Once Mogilny and Fedorov came over the Russian player quickly changed to the North American style of more shooting and less passing. It was the Russian passing game that set them apart when the Russians blew open North American hockey tradionalists in 1972.

I agree that Fedorov was more of a complete player than Bure (hell, pretty much anyone) but winning has nothing to do with this. Fedorov played on some very talented teams and Bure had...uh...Jim Sandlak.

Edit: Not to say all his teams were full of bums as you don't get to the Cup on sheer luck, but they weren't as blessed as Detroit had been.

Fedorov's best year he averaged almost 1.5pts per game OV is on at 1.4 so far this year....

Imagine Fedorov circa 1994 without a red line or the defensive clutch and grab of the 90s, he would blow Ovechkin and Crosby out of the water.

Fedorov's best year he averaged almost 1.5pts per game OV is on at 1.4 so far this year....

Imagine Fedorov circa 1994 without a red line or the defensive clutch and grab of the 90s, he would blow Ovechkin and Crosby out of the water.

HAHAHA I have too agree, but I think that would make Bure that much better plus some knees... :D

So how would you compare the younger guys,

Ov = Fedorov

Kovalchuk = Bure

Malkin = Mogilny

Datsyuk = Kovalev/Larionov

Does that look right?

Kovy = Bure

Ovy = Mogilny

Malkin = Yashin

Datsyuk = Larionov

Ovechkin is a better playmaker then Kovalchuk, as was Mogilny to Bure.

There's no way to compare those guys. I'd compare Ovechkin to Bure only in the sense that you get the feeling a goal's coming everytime they touch(ed) the puck.

Kovy = Bure

Ovy = Mogilny

Malkin = Yashin

Datsyuk = Larionov

Why do I always forget about Yashin? the resaon why I put Datsyuk = koavlev/Larionov is becasue of his eyes and puckhandling skills

Kovy = Bure totally pp freaks

I just have to disagree on the OV one I think if you give him another big name game he would be able to raise his game to another level a level where Fedorov was, as OV is young and has some growing to do. Do you agree if Fedorov wasn't on the Redwings he would've been that good, bringing home all that hardware?

Also did you put Malkin = Yashin as far as skills or attitude?

Mogilny was so deadly and had such an incredible knack for finding open space, never seen a guy get so many flat out breakaways...never could stickhandle like kovy, but had way bigger heart.

Kovy = Bure

Ovy = Mogilny

Malkin = Yashin

Datsyuk = Larionov

Why do I always forget about Yashin? the resaon why I put Datsyuk = koavlev/Larionov is becasue of his eyes and puckhandling skills

Kovy = Bure totally pp freaks

I just have to disagree on the OV one I think if you give him another big name game he would be able to raise his game to another level a level where Fedorov was, as OV is young and has some growing to do. Do you agree if Fedorov wasn't on the Redwings he would've been that good, bringing home all that hardware?

Also did you put Malkin = Yashin as far as skills or attitude?

Ovechkin will never come close to Fedorov. He doesn't have a defensive game, his game starts at the top of his circles on. He may get better as his career goes on but Fedorov in his prime was absolutely amazing.

Fedorov probably would have been a top ten draft draft pick but drafting Russian players wasn't exactly a sure thing back then.

And no, Malkin comparing to Yashin has no to do with attitude. I think the kid is a winner and he turned down a hell of a lot more money in the RSL to play in the NHL. Skills, physical size/ability. I think Malkin will be better then Yashin and will be what Viktor Kozlov was supposed to be.. (Russian Lemieux :lol: )

Igor "The Professor" Larionov in his prime may not have been the most dominate but the man played till he was 42... the only reason he didn't keep playing is because he didn't want to play for another team, Detroit wanted to go in another direction.

He could have still played, who knows he still could be playing ;-) Chelios is! He had the conditioning and he game was thinking 3+ moves ahead of everyone else and didn't rely on speed. The man never got hit, much like Lidstrom, just very swift with the puck.

Hands down the smartest Russian to play in the NHL, perhaps argurably one of the smartest to play the game. Definalty the Russian version of Gretzky.

The most dominate would have to be Fedorov. Bure is up there on offensive skills, but he didn't have Bowman coaching him.

As another poster said, Bowman put him on D.

The problem with Sergei as with the perception of a lot of Russians was he was lazy and inconsistant. Everyone expected this guy to go out there and dominate everyshift which he had the capabilities to do. He still put up good numbers. The fallout with Detroi, then going to Anaheim, and then losing Kournikova, all while not being pushed by Bowman I think he really did end up losing his drive.

He was having a resurgence in Columbus this year but injuries have hampered him.

Kovalchuk will be great on offense, Ovechkin will be better than that all around, but they are not as COMPLETE as player as Federov was.

I think Ovechkin will stand a better chance to be a more DOMINATE player as he seems to compete just about every shift. I haven't seen enough of him play, nor Malkin to be a good judge.

Igor "The Professor" Larionov in his prime may not have been the most dominate but the man played till he was 42... the only reason he didn't keep playing is because he didn't want to play for another team, Detroit wanted to go in another direction.

He could have still played, who knows he still could be playing ;-) Chelios is! He had the conditioning and he game was thinking 3+ moves ahead of everyone else and didn't rely on speed. The man never got hit, much like Lidstrom, just very swift with the puck.

Hands down the smartest Russian to play in the NHL, perhaps argurably one of the smartest to play the game. Definalty the Russian version of Gretzky.

The most dominate would have to be Fedorov. Bure is up there on offensive skills, but he didn't have Bowman coaching him.

As another poster said, Bowman put him on D.

The problem with Sergei as with the perception of a lot of Russians was he was lazy and inconsistant. Everyone expected this guy to go out there and dominate everyshift which he had the capabilities to do. He still put up good numbers. The fallout with Detroi, then going to Anaheim, and then losing Kournikova, all while not being pushed by Bowman I think he really did end up losing his drive.

He was having a resurgence in Columbus this year but injuries have hampered him.

Kovalchuk will be great on offense, Ovechkin will be better than that all around, but they are not as COMPLETE as player as Federov was.

I think Ovechkin will stand a better chance to be a more DOMINATE player as he seems to compete just about every shift. I haven't seen enough of him play, nor Malkin to be a good judge.

Damn dud e you hit that one one the nose.... :o

I totally agree with you. :D

In the NHL i would have to say Federov is number one with Bure at a close second. The thread is Best Russian PLAYER. While Bure very well may have been more talented that doesn't make him a better player. IMO a great player plays both ends of the ice. In the first 10 seasons Sergei's +/- is much prettier than Bure's. I don't know about you but i'd much rather have a player like Sergei on my team, who plays great D as well. And of course there are those Cups...

Federov.

In the NHL i would have to say Federov is number one with Bure at a close second. The thread is Best Russian PLAYER. While Bure very well may have been more talented that doesn't make him a better player. IMO a great player plays both ends of the ice. In the first 10 seasons Sergei's +/- is much prettier than Bure's. I don't know about you but i'd much rather have a player like Sergei on my team, who plays great D as well. And of course there are those Cups...

Federov.

Not to insult your post buts its Fedorov. Not even the point though, most of the posters on this board, myself included are in the 15-25 year old range. Meaning they didn't see the "greats" play. The only time they saw the "greats" playing on their terms was the Miracle On Ice.

So many Russian kids idolized Kharlamov growing up so obviously hes the best. But with the specific group that populates this board, best Russian ever in the NHL would make more sense.

Valery Kharlamov... The best russian player ever! Bar none! Some russians say he was better than Wayne gretzky!

Whoa, dammit it's all my parents fault, they should've had me sooner too see that