Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adam91

Squats

How much does the average NHL'er squat?

I heard Gaborik can do over 500lbs, which is very strong but I don't understand when you hear about these top ranked football college recruits in the states who can do 600lbs. Is that just inaccurate information? cause most of those guys would be around 17. How could they squat more then one of the most expolsive skaters on the planet?

Well, if a 250 pound football player squats 600, that is 2.4 times his bodyweight. If a 200 pound guy squats 500, that is 2.5 times his bodyweight. So the 200 pound guy would have a better squat strength relative to his bodyweight, which would likely translate to greater speed. If the two players have equal technique, quickness, genetics, and everything else, but the lighter guy has a higher squat relative to his body weight, he would be faster, even though he is squatting 100 pounds less. (but his raw strength and power would be higher)

Of course there are a lot of other factors to look at for speed than the weight of squats, and nobody uses the same form/technique on squats as other people. Most of the football players I've known greatly exaggerate their squat anyway, or else they don't even go to parallel. This is not a real "squat", yet they will still get it marked down as an official lift and brag about their 500 pound half squat.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, but most pro athletes' squats that I have read about were usually anywhere from 400-600 some pounds.

its part size and part technique....just because you weigh more doesnt mean that you can squat more.

I'm basing my assumption on the fact that a recruited collegiate athlete putting up such numbers already has good squat form.

I can't recall the number...but I think Francis Boullion in Montreal has some crazy squat like that...500+ lbs.

Can't remember where I heard/read that though. Maybe on the Habs board.

How much does the average NHL'er squat?

I heard Gaborik can do over 500lbs, which is very strong but I don't understand when you hear about these top ranked football college recruits in the states who can do 600lbs. Is that just inaccurate information? cause most of those guys would be around 17. How could they squat more then one of the most expolsive skaters on the planet?

Who are these recruits who can squat 600 pounds? :rolleyes:

What you heard is obviously accurate, guys that are top collegiate lineman that are 300 lbs plus would be able to squat around 600 just because of the strength and being 300 or more pounds helps somewhat

Being able to squat a ton of weight is good for hockey, but being able to move a ton of weight as fast as possible is more important.

and as far as squat numbers and size are related, any one who has been involved in wrestleing (HS or College) not WWF crap, knows the you don't need to be crazy big to be crazy strong. I've seen a 155lb. guy bench 300lbs. with near perfect form.

Being able to squat a ton of weight is good for hockey, but being able to move a ton of weight as fast as possible is more important.

and as far as squat numbers and size are related, any one who has been involved in wrestleing (HS or College) not WWF crap, knows the you don't need to be crazy big to be crazy strong. I've seen a 155lb. guy bench 300lbs. with near perfect form.

Don't underestimate size for putting up more weight though. There's a reason there's weight classes for powerlifting.

If you were to put a top NHL squat from an explosive guy like Gaborik, and compared it to a top 18 year old college football player of comparable size and weight (which would likely be a running back, cornerback or safety), you'd see similar numbers. Football requires the same kind of power and explosion that makes a dynamic skater. Essentially it's all about acceleration, moving your 180-200 lbs. from standstill to full speed, the ability to slow that full speed to a stop quickly and change directions. Max squat is a good indicator, as well as shuttle runs and a 40 yard dash. All three are effective when testing the athletic abilities of both hockey and football players.

The difference in football is if you can't run fast enough to cover your man or escape him, aren't strong enough to stop him/block him, aren't agile enough, etc., you'll lose, or worse yet, you won't play. Aside from maybe the QB or kicker position, there's very little room to hide physical inadequacies on a football field.

I've seen 18 year old football players, 5'11", 190 lbs squat 600 lbs. Aside from the very elite players, that is unheard of from a hockey player of any age, much less at 18 years old. The emphasis on physical development in football is just much greater. The physical build requirements of similarly sized football and hockey players is obviously very different, but there are only a certain number of people in a population who are capable of outstanding acceleration qualities, like running a sub-4.6 40 yard dash. That athlete would have been predispositioned to excel in either sport with the right training. A guy like Gaborik's 40 time would be similar to a college cornerback's.

In the US, hockey players are also very much the "leftovers" of the athletic pool. All of the best athletes in middle school, high school, college and beyond are all playing football, basketball or baseball. In Europe, soccer is often king, but top development programs in Europe tend to put their hockey players through physical regimens similar to the intensity of top high school or college football programs. Only in Canada is hockey the main sport, and many of their top athletes play the sport.

My cousin is a Div. 1 football prospect, recruited by every major program. He squated, in his senior year in H.S., over 900 pounds (with ankle braces). He also benched 500. Obviously a lineman.

So I'm guessing that squat was all of 4 inches? Most of these football players squatting is a joke.

In the US, hockey players are also very much the "leftovers" of the athletic pool. All of the best athletes in middle school, high school, college and beyond are all playing football, basketball or baseball. In Europe, soccer is often king, but top development programs in Europe tend to put their hockey players through physical regimens similar to the intensity of top high school or college football programs. Only in Canada is hockey the main sport, and many of their top athletes play the sport.

Well, of course hockey is not as popular, so less kids will be into it. Still, most kids start out playing multiple sports at a young age, then decide which one they want to pursue at some point...lots of the best athletes choose hockey over anything else. Lots of the best athletes might want to play hockey and can't, because of financial reasons more than anything else. Common knowledge, and now scientific evidence, shows that the more you practice, the better you will be.

It's easy to run down to the field and practice baseball, football, or basketball with friends all day long, but hockey is more of an exclusive sport...it would be pretty hard to make it to the higher levels of hockey unless you have a pretty well off family that can afford to drop tens of thousands on your higher level team, camps, etc. But in a place in Canada where hockey is encouraged more than anything else, I assume this is not the case at all. I know some good athletes who could have gone off with baseball or football scholarships, but tried to go into hockey instead because they love the sport.

My cousin is a Div. 1 football prospect, recruited by every major program. He squated, in his senior year in H.S., over 900 pounds (with ankle braces). He also benched 500. Obviously a lineman.

So I'm guessing that squat was all of 4 inches? Most of these football players squatting is a joke.

At 18 years old, you just simply couldn't have been training long enough to squat over 900 pounds. This would probably be a national record for a kid this age if it's true. :rolleyes: Yea, I've seen a sophomore in high school "squat" around 500...and he went down about 4 inches. Not only does this do nothing for your legs, but it has huge potential to cause serious injury.

Well, of course hockey is not as popular, so less kids will be into it. Still, most kids start out playing multiple sports at a young age, then decide which one they want to pursue at some point...lots of the best athletes choose hockey over anything else. Lots of the best athletes might want to play hockey and can't, because of financial reasons more than anything else. Common knowledge, and now scientific evidence, shows that the more you practice, the better you will be.

It's easy to run down to the field and practice baseball, football, or basketball with friends all day long, but hockey is more of an exclusive sport...it would be pretty hard to make it to the higher levels of hockey unless you have a pretty well off family that can afford to drop tens of thousands on your higher level team, camps, etc. But in a place in Canada where hockey is encouraged more than anything else, I assume this is not the case at all. I know some good athletes who could have gone off with baseball or football scholarships, but tried to go into hockey instead because they love the sport.

At 18 years old, you just simply couldn't have been training long enough to squat over 900 pounds. This would probably be a national record for a kid this age if it's true. :rolleyes: Yea, I've seen a sophomore in high school "squat" around 500...and he went down about 4 inches. Not only does this do nothing for your legs, but it has huge potential to cause serious injury.

For his age?!?!? Up until a few years ago, Brent Mikesell didn't even break 1000 lbs. Not too many guys squat this much, and that is in federations that don't drug test.

For his age?!?!? Up until a few years ago, Brent Mikesell didn't even break 1000 lbs. Not too many guys squat this much, and that is in federations that don't drug test.

Exactly, which is why it's ridiculous for this guy to come on here and say that an 18 year old football player has a 900+ pound squat, when most guys who have been powerlifting for years (even with chemical help) can never achieve this feat.

Where is he getting recruited by and whats his name?

I've seen clips of St Louis doing squats and the bar is bending pretty well. The bar starts to bend at 400lbs so... yeah. Those are some strong legs or as the NHL 2k6 announcers would say "If you've ever seen marty st louis in shorts in the offseason, his legs are like tree trunks."

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/records/american/men-teen.htm

There is a guy in the 275+ pound division who hit nearly 950 on squats at age 18-19...this is quite extraordinary, and won't happen often...although it is not nearly as impressive as the guy in the 148 pound division that squatted 670. (BW*3.4 vs BW*4.4)

Most of the top HS senior age powerlifters in there are squatting 600-700 some pounds, but of course they are the very best. Your average football or hockey player who lifts with the intent to improve sports performance (not solely to perform the heaviest 1 rep max possible in a contest) is going to be quite a bit less than that.

are you supposed to be able to squat twice your body weight or is there some type of rule of thumb like for benching your supposed to be able to bench your body weight?

There is a guy in the 275+ pound division who hit nearly 950 on squats at age 18-19...this is quite extraordinary, and won't happen often...although it is not nearly as impressive as the guy in the 148 pound division that squatted 670. (BW*3.4 vs BW*4.4)

Most of the top HS senior age powerlifters in there are squatting 600-700 some pounds, but of course they are the very best. Your average football or hockey player who lifts with the intent to improve sports performance (not solely to perform the heaviest 1 rep max possible in a contest) is going to be quite a bit less than that.

They're also squatting in suits, the athlete in the gym isn't. But yeah, some of those little guys can bring it.

Didn't he do that just recently? Or someone else set the record for the youngest person to squat 1000.