Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BK

Windows Vista

I think most people have pcs because they're more accesible and macs are expensive, well at least the ones I've seen

prove it. They are not. Macs are actually cheaper (simillary speced)

Last year I got my core duo 1 gb 250 gb with 3 ghz and benq lcd 19, dvd burner everything for 1300 cdn and thats last year and its still cheaper than the 2 lowest iMac

Not to play the applenazi card but I just don't "get" Windows. Obviously it has to have some sort of benefits to it but other than gaming I don't see what they are. I have 3 platforms for gaming so I'll always opt for what suits me as a cleaner, more stable OS.

Et tu, Mack :(

I can't help it, I've been on Apples longer than anything else. Much love, Apple IIe

Last year I got my core duo 1 gb 250 gb with 3 ghz and benq lcd 19, dvd burner everything for 1300 cdn and thats last year and its still cheaper than the 2 lowest iMac

Core Duos only go up to 2.33 GHZ and if you got it last year it wasnt a core2duo, so thats a lie.

For less than 1300 CAD you can get a core2duo imac with a gig of ram 250 gb HD, and dvd burner.

I think most people have pcs because they're more accesible and macs are expensive, well at least the ones I've seen

they are. you can get a thousand different entry-level PC's for half the price of the cheapest Mac. (excluding Mini)

I said simillarly specified. Of course you can get crappy celeron white boxs for 82 bucks, good for you. I am saying with the same hardware.

they are. you can get a thousand different entry-level PC's for half the price of the cheapest Mac. (excluding Mini)

I said simillarly specified. Of course you can get crappy celeron white boxs for 82 bucks, good for you. I am saying with the same hardware.

i'm not going to waste my time finding a hundred examples of PC's less than $1000 that spec the same or better than an imac just to please you.

that's the trouble with you fanboys, you know you're wrong, but you've convinced yourselves you can't be.

The vast majority of people don't need a high end computer, or at least they didn't before Vista rolled out. Most people want to send email, get online and do some documents or spreadsheets. So far, I've moved off of MS for everything but my OS. I use open office, mozilla, etc... I just haven't had the time to learn a new OS and that's why MS keeps their position. Lots of people are like me and just don't want to bother doing everything differently, and Macs are still very different. You have to learn to do things Apple's way

i'm not going to waste my time finding a hundred examples of PC's less than $1000 that spec the same or better than an imac just to please you.

that's the trouble with you fanboys, you know you're wrong, but you've convinced yourselves you can't be.

I didnt ask for hundreds, I asked for 1

This and the starting imac http://www.mdg.ca/en/products/desktops/vision/ (CDN)

I just haven't had the time to learn a new OS and that's why MS keeps their position. Lots of people are like me and just don't want to bother doing everything differently, and Macs are still very different. You have to learn to do things Apple's way

That's so true, Chadd, although I'm speaking from experience because Vapor wore me down. After all his posting for Macs the past year, I started looking into them more seriously. Finally, I bought an iMac 24 over Thanksgiving. (I was willing to go for a 20", but The Big D gave the A-OK.) For about the first two days I felt like......my mother on a computer.

It was frustrating. Even though I had owned Macs about ten years earlier, they were once again foreign. However, now I can say there are things I like better about Macs, as well as things I like better about Windows. Overall, though, I'm glad I made the switch back.

im not even gonna tag myself into the fagtastic debate that is beginning to jack this thread. I'm running XP now and perfectly happy, although the price isnt as bad as rumoured to be. I still dont see myself upgrading for atleast another year. I'm planning on building a new computer around the core 2 e6300 this summer. so maybe next summer vista will get the nod. maybe

Not to play the applenazi card but I just don't "get" Windows. Obviously it has to have some sort of benefits to it but other than gaming I don't see what they are. I have 3 platforms for gaming so I'll always opt for what suits me as a cleaner, more stable OS.

Et tu, Mack :(

I can't help it, I've been on Apples longer than anything else. Much love, Apple IIe

I've used Apple's since we had the Lisa back in Kindergarten, and although I do like Apple's, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. The MacBook pro however might be my next laptop.

Ok, so I went to both Apple's website and HP's website to configure and price to give a fair shot to the iMac.

Apple iMac specs:

2.33GHz core 2 duo

3Gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM

SuperDrive 8X

500 Gb SATA HDD

ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM

Apple USB modem

iWork 06 preinstalled

Apple wireless keyboard/wireless mighty mouse

OS X preinstalled

20 inch widescreen LCD

AirPort Extreme

Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

total price - 2962.00

HP m7790y specs:

2.4 GHz core 2 duo

4Gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM

400Gb SATA HDD

500Gb USB personal media drive

Lightscribe 16X

DVD-Rom 16X

Roxio Creator Premier 9

15 in 1 memory card reader/2 USB/1 Firewire/1 Video

19" wide flat panel monitor

Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers

802.11 b/g Wireless LAN PCI Card

Dual NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT, HD , TV-out, 2 DVI

Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports

HP Wireless Keyboard, Wireless Optical Mouse

Microsoft® Works 8.0

Norton Internet Security 2007 - 15 Months

total price 2448.98

Dell and Gateway are probably cheaper as any other whitebox brand should be. This compares two companies who do the engineering themselves. Granted these two examples are the high end of things and not the low end offerings, but building a PC is even more cost effective and for what these cost you could put together a monster of a system.

This is like arguing to get someone to like oatmeal over cold cereal. It's about as interesting, too.

I like eggs. Over hard with syrup; soda bread; soy bacon and pancakes.

This is like arguing to get someone to like oatmeal over cold cereal. It's about as interesting, too.

agreed, but he asked for an example. Apple people are Apple people and get the pros and cons that go with it. Same goes for PC people. Not that I care, I'm not forced to have one over the other in my house, so I'll go buy what I want and thats that. I think Vapor needs a sales job with Apple though, probably would do well at it with all the energy already shown for their products.

Ok, so I went to both Apple's website and HP's website to configure and price to give a fair shot to the iMac.

Apple iMac specs:

2.33GHz core 2 duo

3Gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM

SuperDrive 8X

500 Gb SATA HDD

ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM

Apple USB modem

iWork 06 preinstalled

Apple wireless keyboard/wireless mighty mouse

OS X preinstalled

20 inch widescreen LCD

AirPort Extreme

Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

total price - 2962.00

HP m7790y specs:

2.4 GHz core 2 duo

4Gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM

400Gb SATA HDD

500Gb USB personal media drive

Lightscribe 16X

DVD-Rom 16X

Roxio Creator Premier 9

15 in 1 memory card reader/2 USB/1 Firewire/1 Video

19" wide flat panel monitor

Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers

802.11 b/g Wireless LAN PCI Card

Dual NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT, HD , TV-out, 2 DVI

Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports

HP Wireless Keyboard, Wireless Optical Mouse

Microsoft® Works 8.0

Norton Internet Security 2007 - 15 Months

total price 2448.98

Dell and Gateway are probably cheaper as any other whitebox brand should be. This compares two companies who do the engineering themselves. Granted these two examples are the high end of things and not the low end offerings, but building a PC is even more cost effective and for what these cost you could put together a monster of a system.

Well i went to the hp site and put in the same specs as you and it cost 1829. The problem is, there is no 2.33 GHZ imac, so I am assuming you made up that figure. It is not a good comparison to compare a desktop to the imac, if you want to compare them properly you should compare a desktop to a desktop (power mac vs. Deal XPS for example)

iMac2.jpg

the power mac is on par with workstations, not desktop pcs. The power mac uses dual Xeon processors, which in retail/commercial line-ups are limited to workstations and servers. You can build a desktop with Xeons, but no one offers it as a desktop option.

Again, not trying to rock the boat, just throwing facts out there. Apple has far less virus issues, but availability of software in retail locations is really poor compared to PC selection. Apple also produces new models slower, so current PCs are capable of acheiving greater performance results with the ever changing technology rushes. When Apple puts out a new line-up of Macs that are updated, they will probably be the better performers again for a while, then the PC market will catch up and surpass, lather-rinse-repeat.

can't be worse than turkey bacon. You might as well crack a jar of bacon bits if you're thinking about turkey bacon, though the bacon bits might not be quite as crunchy

I dunno, I can't remember what it tasted like. I can safely say I'm sure it isn't as good as the 'real' stuff, but the real stuff is present so I can smell that as I eat the soy version.

this is like arguing if the glass is half empty or half full..

Microsoft OS's have some positive things and negative things.

The same goes for Apple.

You can't win the arguement either way because it is an opinion and depends on what you use the computer for. Every release they both make improvements and they just keep getting better.

They are both decent OS's - why waste your breath trying to prove one way or the other?