Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trox_355

Does it keep getting worse?

So I was planning to go to a lunchtime stick & puck today. Well, we had snow in North Carolina so everything around here was closed (except for my college), including the rink.

I wound up leaving my class that was supposed to end at 3:35 about halfway through to get to another rink's session that started at 3:30.

Since I just started playing, how much worse does the addiction get? I haven't missed much class before, so the whole "there's-something-that's-fun-as-hell-so-i'll-skip-school" thing is new to me.

Dear Abby, please help.

Hockey's arbitrary in this situation as something else would make you want to skip class. Can't honestly say I've ever cut class jonesing for hockey, but I want to leave work early for my brother's games/praccies.

Well, I made sure to schedule my classes this semester so they won't interfere with drop-in...last semester I would leave this one class about half way through to go play each week, though we usually got out early anyway and the class was a complete joke to begin with. Hey, at least you aren't skipping out to go hit the booze or something worse...

it gets addicting. In prep i once skipped a class to work in a new pair of skates. I hate class, and playing hockey doesnt help when you have and hour and a half of powerpoints ahead of you

I've skipped class on more than one occasion to go to Open Hockey (the rink across campus charges $3 with a college ID). I cut-out of a lecture last Friday to go to the rink, where a stick found it's way up under my visor and cut the bridge of my nose for five stitches within the first five minutes on the ice. I stayed the rest of the session, then had to call-out of work when the lady in the Health Services office sent me to the hospital to get sewn-up.

Lesson learned? Hell no...I'll be cutting the same class tomorrow (damn, this is going to leave me with a lot of reading).

when i was in my first year of college, i used to schedule my classes a few mins after hockey practice ends. turned out to be a bad idea since i seriously never get to shower after training so i'd stink up the whole classroom and my professer always gave me a sharp glare. i skipped classes before to catch lunchtime pick up games but it's never a good idea.

Heh.. I didn´t graduate from high school, when others did, partly because I wanted to play so much pick-up hockey during the 4week brake ment for studying.. However it turned out to be better for me, as taking those exams again in fall, after a long non-hockey summer, I got much better grades, which actually didin´t help at all going to the university, but at least I made up my mind and did what I liked the most.

well, my team practices at evenings and our games are mainly at saturday mornings. and i work in kinda strange hours, in three shifts. so every week i have to either leave early from work or come in late. im glad my boss doesnt take it too seriuosly so i can keep doing this :)

When I was in high school I ditched every Tuesday to make it to a 11:30 drop-in that had a really good group of guys. I blew off my aunt's wedding to go to a tourny in Vegas, and quite a few other things. What can I say, hockey's just better.

When I was in high school I ditched every Tuesday to make it to a 11:30 drop-in that had a really good group of guys. I blew off my aunt's wedding to go to a tourny in Vegas, and quite a few other things. What can I say, hockey's just better.

how did u get away with ditching every tuesday?

i bet your grades blew

i bet your grades blew

I forged a note saying I had religious classes to attend, and it hardly impacted my grades. I was on the honor roll all four years of high school.

i bet your grades blew

Getting decent grades is how one gets away with this sort of thing.

Heh.. I didn´t graduate from high school, when others did, partly because I wanted to play so much pick-up hockey during the 4week brake ment for studying.. However it turned out to be better for me, as taking those exams again in fall, after a long non-hockey summer, I got much better grades, which actually didin´t help at all going to the university, but at least I made up my mind and did what I liked the most.

Gee, I can't understand how the better grades didn't help what with not graduating on time in the first place. :unsure:

I think you have to look at the benefits on the margin. If it's an important class, or you're struggling, then you should go. However, if you dont see it being detrimental then strap on the skates!

I used to realllllllly often. Maybe not the best idea, but way more fun!

PS: This applies to University.. not sure about the trouble it would cause in HS.

i bet your grades blew

Getting decent grades is how one gets away with this sort of thing.

That's pretty much what it comes down to. If I had been failing classes and brought in a note saying I had religious eduction that required me to be out of school one day a week it would have been treated with suspicion. Probably anywhere, but certainly at the prep school I went to, the admin would have at least called my parents to confirm it. When you're GPA is a little above 4.0 because of AP classes they aren't going to suspect anything. Same reason I was given premission to miss school on Fridays during the hockey season when we had travel games.

I hate class, and playing hockey doesnt help when you have and hour and a half of powerpoints ahead of you

First time in more than three years, but no prof I have teaches from powerpoints this semester!

I think you have to look at the benefits on the margin. If it's an important class, or you're struggling, then you should go. However, if you dont see it being detrimental then strap on the skates!

I used to realllllllly often. Maybe not the best idea, but way more fun!

PS: This applies to University.. not sure about the trouble it would cause in HS.

Spoken like a true professional.

Good to hear I'm not the only one.

I'm usually able to make it to the rink twice during the week, but last Thursday was just a weird situation with the weather and all. I'm really close to being done here and need all the diversion I can get from the maths.

The class I cut is the closest thing to a free elective I've taken so far, so I wasn't too concerned with that one time. Had I not been planning on going to the rink earlier in the day, it probably wouldn't have even been an issue.

When my old team practiced once a week i would skip classes to play But now that i play everyday @ 7:45am - 9:15am i dont skip class or anything that i am ment to do just to go on the lake or play shinny

But i do understand what its like when your addicted to hockey.

P.S I still am addicted to hockey but i get the full amout i need everyday.... Sometimes to much with Dryland.

when i was in elementary i got every friday off to train with my pro team.. their coach was a family friend so he let me on.. my mum wrote a note saying ' Marc wont be in class on friday, hes got hockey' and they said thats fine..