Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeymom

Dumped on your Butt: countermoves?

In this situation it looks like accidental contact as a result of playing the puck. Ref's can't always see everything, looking at the video however it's clear that the player with the pink gloves is not playing the puck. Her eyes don't even go down to it until she's completed the little "hip check." The ref should have called her for checking or interference. Defending against it is just a matter of needing to have the feet wider to create a more stable base and leaning back against the pressure.

The guys who said feet to close and too upright are right on the money.

Yep, to echo what was already said and what Miss D acknowledged with her "Powerless Position" joke(I'll be using that) its definetly a case of skating too erect. I just wanted to expand on that without (hopefully) sounding critical. I often see this during games with kids I've taught, their practise stride is better than what their using in games. It takes awhile for the deep knee bend to become their natural stride....and its a gradual transition, not only in the amount of knee bend but in how often their actually in good 'form' during a game. Many take a few strides when they first get possesion of the puck quite erect and then sort of gather their legs under them and go into their 'power stride'....usually when skating too upright their head is down.

Tell her she's in good company, lots of very good skaters with natural strides aren't always in good technique at some point. Players who win battles in corners are ones going in low, as we first teach kids its the player with his stick underneath and body low/wide who wins the battles in corners & front of the net. If she strives to start low, play as she practises the stance/stride will become natural and not require any thought.

If you want the (copyrighted) HC intro to body checking/contact coaches course in PDF's just ask, I teach that every year to kids first going into contact....because there's little contact in your daughters games the importance of always being in good technique isn't realized as easily as it is to an Atom Rep player constantly getting bumped off the puck in his first year checking.

If you remember this clip, this was considered a penalty on a different day...

Penlty clip

Arguably, this one involves more of a play for the puck than the "Dumped" clip. Again, this isn't to debate the calls made, but rather to get an understanding of where the line is.

I disagree, the first clip to me looks like a play on the puck that resulted in contact (legal rub out). The second looks like contact with intent to play the puck (hence the penalty). As a defending player, its okay for the puck carrier to hit you, but you can't hit the puck carrier.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you might consider having her go to a checking clinic. Not so much to learn checking, but to learn the all important technique of skating low in good hockey position. I've noticed a lot of players that have no experience with full contact hockey are prone to skating technique problems related to standing up all the time. Most guys get a real quick lesson their first year of peewee after getting hit off the puck all the time.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you might consider having her go to a checking clinic.

You missed it:

No, they don't work on this in practice - at least, not at this level of hockey. However, I did send MissD out to "checking school" two summers ago, admittedly more from a safety point of view: learning how to take and receive a hit would make it safer during incidental contact in a non-checking league.

She was too upright and had her feet too close together to maintain balance after the contact. If she had kept her right foot out wide instead of bringing it in for another stride then she might have been able to counter the contact.

It looks as though its incidental contact, but the form that pink gloves had was/is similar to many people who do the entire sleuth-foot / bodycheck routine. Not really giving the other person much of a chance to stay up.

All in all it looked like a clean "hit" or incidental contact.