Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ti-girl

Teaching a beginner

Good morning everyone!

One of my friends has decided that she wants to play hockey. We went out yesterday and got her her gear. (Meaning we found my old gear and went out and bought her some good beginner skates (Vector 6.0's) and a stick.)

Anyway, she can skate, not well mind you, but she can do it. In figure skates. We are going out 4 times in the next three days so she can be a sub on my rec team. (We are missing 7 players due to injuries.) What should I work on with her? I have gone over the rules and the positions, but I am more worried about her skating.

Thanks!

being a newb to playing i would say:

remind her to keep her head up

dumping the puck along the boards (not up the middle)

not stopping and starting

face off positioning

for skating, help her work on the edges and tight turns

remind your teammates before hand she's a beginner and for them to help her out too.

also positive reinforcement. i lucked out as a newb with my team. Most of the guys tell me what i do right/well first then say "work on your..."

Here's a few things I try and remember as a fairly inexperienced player:

Take shorter shifts to keep legs fresh

Don't block the vision of your goalie

Keep the stick on the ice at all times, especially when standing between two players of the other team (to take away the pass)

Don't chase the puck unless it's near you (basic positioning, especially as a forward in the defensive zone)

Try to get open for a pass offensively or find someone to cover defensively

Don't be afraid to move the puck yourself / don't panic with the puck and turn it over (I still do that)

That's all I've got...other than that just have fun!

i have to work on that too!

Apparently you can do that in the NHL too. Martin Skoula for the Wild did that for about three months this season, assisting on at least three or four goals against.

teach her positioning and skating first, the rest will come with time and experience(while learning to get the skating and positioning). Don't just tell her what to do, explain why. Understanding the game is very important in learning how to play the game.

Teach her the Inglewood Jack.

Face off positioning and offsides to avoid embarrassment. Then teach her to forecheck and use her stick to block passing lanes. That takes little talent and can be done reasonably well even with poor skating skills.

It might even be somewhat effective.