Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

djinferno

does this work?

Yes they do. I have not tried them but know people who use them. They are for preventing slipouts in a very wide stance and for doing cross ice slides while doing a butterfly. You don't need to get up from a butterfly to move across the ice. Can't use them in the NHL, CHL, Collage and just about every other advanced level of hockey.

I've seen goalies with them. Damn that's a good deterrent for forwards crashing the net, unless u like getting your achille's tendon severed :D

Yes they do. I have not tried them but know people who use them. They are for preventing slipouts in a very wide stance and for doing cross ice slides while doing a butterfly. You don't need to get up from a butterfly to move across the ice. Can't use them in the NHL, CHL, Collage and just about every other advanced level of hockey.

ok i'm not a goalie but i really dont unferstand why a goalie can not use that in the NHL when players can use Synergy type sticks... makes no sence to me how players are allowed to use a tool that could hurt a goalie but it does not work the othr way around <_<

You think goalies at the NHL level need a bigger advantage then they already have with the scoring as low as it is? I don't seem to recall too many goalies getting a severe injury from a shot with the exception of Richter maybe. Just curious why you might say that...

It's a safety issue, nothing else. Putting a spur on teh inside of a skate makes a very dangerous situation.

our goalie uses them or something similar. I think it's a great Idea as I know alot of goalies who have trouble moving side to side from the butterfly and this seems to aid that a bit. I do however see the safety hazard and agree with the NHL rule. As for the "synergy" comment, I don't think thats a fair comparison to the overdrivve blades, changing the materials and making the pads lighter and softer are the equivelant to a synergy. I would say the over-drive blades are comparable to the "double blade" sticks that were outlawed.

It was a project coming out of Calgary I believe. The Theory was that it was a straight blade, but then it had another blade directly infront of it with a curve. Thus improving "the art of the backhand" it was in the trial stages of a league out West, they put an application into the NHL to see if it was accepted, but it was denied and that was the last I heard from them. Seems like I'm the only guy who remembers..... I feel old.

all i'm saying is that Baseball oulaws aluminum bats cause the ball can kill a pitcher....

Now Richter is one exemple enought to show you that pro atheles don't need a stick to make the shot harder then it already is (Look at the best shot in the all star game)

Like baseball, I think that the wood does just fine when you go pro...

Lets not forget I'm not a goalie...

all i'm saying is that Baseball oulaws aluminum bats cause the ball can kill a pitcher....

Now Richter is one exemple enought to show you that pro atheles don't need a stick to make the shot harder then it already is (Look at the best shot in the all star game)

To a certain point you're right. If I get free sticks i woudn't care that much if composite was outlawed. I'd probably get somethin like a 75 flex Easton Z-carbon wood, go out on my shift, and throw it out afterward. It'd be just as light as any OPS. Sure, it has less kick, but i doesnt matter that much with a fresh stick. For use non-pros, however, that'd be impossible. It's just plain annoying for me to use wood now, I'd need to get a new one every 2 weeks. Plus they're heavy, the feel is IMO overrated and their flex is generally pretty aweful.

To a certain point you're right. If I get free sticks i woudn't care that much if composite was outlawed. I'd probably get somethin like a 75 flex Easton Z-carbon wood, go out on my shift, and throw it out afterward. It'd be just as light as any OPS. Sure, it has less kick, but i doesnt matter that much with a fresh stick. For use non-pros, however, that'd be impossible. It's just plain annoying for me to use wood now, I'd need to get a new one every 2 weeks. Plus they're heavy, the feel is IMO overrated and their flex is generally pretty aweful.

agreed

You'll get a faster shot with wood, but you'll get a quicker release with an OPS. Maybe if you guys wore smaller pads thus making you a little more agile, you'll catch up to the shot...

And really Richter is a bad example since the shot was fairly tame and just happened to hit on the side of the mask where the helmet did not have the proper padding to protect him.

Ha I'm 15 and I'm using wood bats playing Midget AAA, and when you hit the sweet spot with a wood bat she goes further than when I get a hold of one with an aluminium bat. Mike Richter's helmet was made wrong, it wasn't custom molded, it was as good as a Canadian Tire bought mask. Overdrives don't make an immediate difference, although they help you move from side to side quicker and easier.

Mike Richter's helmet was made wrong, it wasn't custom molded, it was as good as a Canadian Tire bought mask. Overdrives don't make an immediate difference, although they help you move from side to side quicker and easier.

QandA, do you realy think Richter's "mask" wasn't custom, and as good as a Canadian Tire mask? Masks offer great protection from a blow to the front of the mask not the side. That's why I use a combo. Also Overdrives don't help you move side to side easier or faster. They prevent slipouts and alow you to move side to side while in a butterfly, or stop a butterfly slide.

Mike Richter's helmet was made wrong, it wasn't custom molded, it was as good as a Canadian Tire bought mask. Overdrives don't make an immediate difference, although they help you move from side to side quicker and easier.

QandA, do you realy think Richter's "mask" wasn't custom, and as good as a Canadian Tire mask? Masks offer great protection from a blow to the front of the mask not the side. That's why I use a combo. Also Overdrives don't help you move side to side easier or faster. They prevent slipouts and alow you to move side to side while in a butterfly, or stop a butterfly slide.

Who said that it's only butterfly goalies that wear overdrive. From my time as a goalie, overdrive helped ME go side to side and made me more mobile. As for Richter's mask, it wasn't made right. It wasn't molded properly. It lacked NHL quality. And a good mask will prevent damage from being hitpn the side.

Who said that it's only butterfly goalies that wear overdrive. From my time as a goalie, overdrive helped ME go side to side and made me more mobile. As for Richter's mask, it wasn't made right. It wasn't molded properly. It lacked NHL quality. And a good mask will prevent damage from being hitpn the side.

Using your Overdrives to go side to side is maybe the reason your not a goalie anymore.

Using your Overdrives to go side to side is maybe the reason your not a goalie anymore.

Yeah, I'm sure because I fell on the ice outside of the arena when I was 12 years old that that's why I don't play. I couldn't play for the rest of winter (feb. and mar.) so I just skated in pick up and liked it and now I'm a good player. So srry if how I use my equipment isn't the same way as you do.

wasn't molded properly, my arse!, Pro's Choice is nothing but custom molding. And is very much a NHL quality mask. the problem was the lack of padding in the mask was not enough to protect him. depending on how the mask is padded it can offer great side protection, yet I have seen many players and goalies get the same type of injuryies as ritcher with a regluar helmet also

mudbug is right. Richter's mask was a Pro's Choice...which is NHL quality. It hit him on the side where there's not much padding.

Well, I guess I was told wrong guys, I heard it was just made wrong. This is the guy that told me classicmask.com , the guy that makes those masks told me that but it's all cool guess he and I we're wrong.