Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sgazi76

Slapshot advice

It could be both. A change of lie means that you'll have to slightly readjust your shooting mechanics to the new lie.

It could be a number of factors..

Where the puck is when you make contact, your follow through, where on the blade you are hitting the puck.. there are a number of things. Mine did that for a while when I changed to a coffey curve.. I started looking down and noticing that I was hitting it close to the toe of the blade. I took some time to adjust and hit it closer to the heel and that fixed it.

i agree, a change in lie could affect your shot, try turning your wrists in your follow through, that will also help your accuracy, to a degree

Be sure of your grip that its not open, and be sure when you hit the puck that you power through and not put all your momentum into the ice or you'll just be flicking it. Pull through with your top hand an then roll your wrist over an that should keep it flat. To shoot high like this have the puck a littlebit ahead of you or closer to your front foot, and to keep it lower more in the middle and towards your back foot

does your sticks slide in your hands? that might be a problem too, that or maybe your stick can be too long, too stiff, your curve and lie may not be the best one for the shot you are trying to execute. some practice cant hurt too, start with the light pucks, then go to the normal one, then go to the heavy pucks, cuz once you go back to the normal one youll notice it easier to shoot with less power, just a trick that helped me.

Lately, when my slapshots fly through the air they sometimes turn partially on end rather than fly level. I'm wondering why this happens. I recently switched to a blade with a higher lie. Could that have something to do with it or is there just something wrong with my form?

It's most likely due to the lie, it's a very common problem.

so it like turns sideways rather than flat? I notice my shot does that sometimes. It doesn't affect accuracy or speed at all though. I've also noticed Rob Blake's slap shot do that sometimes.

Yeah, it turns sideways rather than flat. I think it is just getting used to the lie and new curve since I went from a 4.5 Leclair to a 5.5 Sakic. I'll work on it in practice and also try to follow through and turn my wrist over more.

For the longest time I couldn't get my slapshots off the ice, now I can get them right under the crossbar which is nice...but I can't ever get them low anymore, lol. I'm thinking it's probably poor technique as opposed to the curve of my blade (sakic) any help you could give me would be appreciated, thanks.

The Sakic doesn't help because it like a pitching wedge, but it all depends on your follow through. If you keep your stick low to the ice, it'll stay low and vice versa.

Anything else change?

Flex on the stick?

Have you gotten stronger/taller/older?

Are you shooting from the same area on the ice as before? Forward vs D-man?

turn ur wrist in when your taking your low slapshot.. or dont follow thru as high.. their really isnt any other method

turn ur wrist in when your taking your low slapshot.. or dont follow thru as high.. their really isnt any other method

exactly when you follow thru point your stick where you want it to go... if you follow thru high it will most likely go high.. and yes the sakic curve doesnt help either and if your using a sakic curven u want to keep it on the ice more start sooting off more of the heel than the toe cause thatwill just sky rocket the puck , when i use to use the sakic curve i ut it over the net evrytime n i hated it... thats why i went to the drury/forsberg.

Hey I just switched from and Iginla to a Lidstrom, and I have a question about slapshot height. I'm defense so it's a problem that it always goes top shelf. I know that the follow through height is what controls it but even if I shoot with little to no follow through it just rockets into the cross bar. It's even worse when (I play right D with right handed shot) I pull into the middle and shoot. Just wondering if anyone has any tips besides practise because I've been doing that all summer.

Thanks

I know that the follow through height is what controls it but even if I shoot with little to no follow through it just rockets into the cross bar.

Well you got it right, the follow through does control the shot height. But instead of eliminating your follow through, you should follow through as low as possible, and completely rolling your wrists over is key. If this doesn't work just get a curve with less loft.

I was in the same boat as you. I LOVE the new curve though. Its great for when I am taking offensive shots though. Its tough learning how to keep it low.

I had the same problem with my shot, although it was wristers, not slapshots.

I used to use a Sakic curve. Most of the time my shots sailed over the crossbar. Rather than work on my follow through and pointing the toe of the stick I found it was easier to just switch curves. I now use the Modano/Forsberg curve. I no longer have the same problem. Most of my shots only go as high as I want them to now.

Correct form is key, but in the absence of that, you can compensate with a different curve.

Make sure you are rolling your stick back over, so it should go closed->open->closed and don't raise your stick above your knee on follow through. This should keep the puck down.

-dave

I don't understand defensemen who use radical curves. I use the tamest curve I can find; right now a Forsberg/Modano, but I prefer even straighter. We have so many things we have to do like stickhandle, pass both ways (for and back), and dump both ways. These radical curves are designed for scorers who need to get the puck up quickly, not playmakers.

I easily pop top corner in close -on the forehand and backhand- with my modano curve.

And I'm a defenseman.

Spead word to your forwards that I told them to stay the hell away from the front of the net.

I have a one90 left handed naslund and and warrior dolomite federov and whenever i take a slapshot with the dolomite it has more speed than when i take one with the naslund one90. The naslund is a bigger curve than the federov and i want a good slapshot with my one90....whats the deal here