Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StampedeGoalie39

Green gear?

Hey buddy, no need to be an ass. I have a brother that is a goalie and acutally read up on product. Simmons took the V2 concept, but uses crappy foams and sub par materials that do not give the same protection or performance you would get in that same v2 pad. Even though they say it is the same.

How old are you? 12?

And I have a few cousins, and friends that play hockey, I read up on some player equipment, and that doesn't mean I know much.

Yes Simmons took the V2 concept, but what company hasn't? I listed them all, they do not use crappy foam, they use different variants of the foam found in a V2. Simmons uses sheets of foam while Vaughn uses shredded foam, that is the difference in the foams, and the Jenpro is the same quality. Everyone copies the V2, and none of the pads are the exact same as the V2.

Simmons does build knock-offs, I do agree with that, they are much like the V2, but what company doesn't have a pad that is based off of the V2? The only reason that Simmons gets so much bad rap is because of their advertising, their product isn't that bad. If they didn't have advertising like that, and had different graphics for the UL4, they would be like any other goalie manufacturer out there.

And I am not 12, I wasn't being an ass...

If I was 12 and being an ass I would say " i luv simmmons!! dnt b hatin on tem you fugepakr!!"

If I was twelve I wouldn't be able to put together a legible sentence, let alone a series of paragraphs.

i have had both the vaughn v2's and the simmons ultra 2 . the velocity's lasted me 2 seasons and the padding didnt soften up unlike the ultra 2 were the padding got softer after one season . not to say simmons makes bad gear but i feel that it the quality isnt as good as vaughn or rbk bauer ect.

Kovy, I've yet to see a pad that didn't use the exact same family of Plastazote foams. The only thing that differs internally are the shapes and arrangements of the various densities of plank foams, and the placement and packing of the shred foams. To say that one pad uses 'cheaper foams' than another is simply false. It may use different foams, but at *most*, it's the difference between a pro-stuffed (aka understuffed) version of a pad and its standard retail edition. This I can say with absolute assurance: there is no pad on the market in which the foam composition reduces the protection through the face of the pad in any remotely meaningful way. Hell, even pro-stuffed pads are enough to face the hardest shots on the planet.

There are slightly varying grades of Jenpro, but the only pads I've ever even heard of with a thinner, lighter-grade of surface material are the RBK 5K/6K lines and the Sherwood C-5s. This material is more susceptible to cuts and wear, but not hugely so. The reason for this is, quite simply, that the goalie industry is too small to order meaningful amounts of material, so they all get more or less the same stuff.

The UL series is unquestionably based on the Velocity. Since Vaughn can't effectively patent the design of a pad - particularly because Pete Smith (and others) would be able to prove prior art - they are free to do so. That said, their pads differ from the Velocities in many respect, and though they would certainly not have existed without the Velocities, they are a different set of pads in their own right.

Frankly, I don't much care for either of them. Some people do.

I much prefer the way Bauer has been developing Michel Lefevbre's abandoned 580 design in its Supreme line, though I have dire premonitions about the upcoming NBH One95 pads, if what I'm hearing bears any truth.

I do believe some goalie gear is comin' out in that series.

But hey, are we allowed to say that one companies name or do we gotta go *** *******:P