Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Sadly, I wish this was a joke

Wow, how long do you think it will take the NHL to put the kabash on that once it gets out?

Could they even stop it? I guess they could stop funding any local events if they had been.

WTF? They're teaching kids how to fight, when they won't be able to in a real game. I wonder how much it costs to sign up for the fight camp. If it costs anything, it's a total rip off. I thought the NHL was trying to get rid of goons too!

Ah crap...just what the League needs. How much you bet THIS makes ESPN!

ESPN will be more than happy to oblige with your request :(

Lets play the over/under game here: I'll say this is covered on 4 ESPN shows:

1. SportsCenter

2. Mike and Mike in the morning

3. Pardon the interruption

4. Cold Pizza (yes, ESPN2 counts)

+/- along with recommendations anyone?

Ah crap...just what the League needs. How much you bet THIS makes ESPN!

ESPN will be more than happy to oblige with your request :(

Lets play the over/under game here: I'll say this is covered on 4 ESPN shows:

1. SportsCenter

2. Mike and Mike in the morning

3. Pardon the interruption

4. Cold Pizza (yes, ESPN2 counts)

+/- along with recommendations anyone?

I'll say SC and the Duece DO...Don't know much about M&M...but PTI won't cover it. They MAY draw attention to the fact that Rick Tocchet is playing in the World Series of Poker while awaiting the outcome of the whole Op. Slapshot to come down.

While I agree that this camp doesn't look good at first glance, its actually not a bad idea. Kids up in Canada will get in fights while playing hockey, at least in Manitoba and Saskatchewan where I'm somewhat familiar with the leagues.

If this camp can teach a kid to take a punch and not put themselves in a bad position by flailing away, it might actually keep some of them from getting hurt.

But the perception of the camp is going to be horrible and perception is reality.

While I agree that this camp doesn't look good at first glance, its actually not a bad idea. Kids up in Canada will get in fights while playing hockey, at least in Manitoba and Saskatchewan where I'm somewhat familiar with the leagues.

If this camp can teach a kid to take a punch and not put themselves in a bad position by flailing away, it might actually keep some of them from getting hurt.

But the perception of the camp is going to be horrible and perception is reality.

I agree, there's no way to make this camp sound good and I'm sure the non-hockey public, or even the hockey fans who aren't familiar with junior hockey will eat it up. But it would save a lot of kids' midget and junior careers if they learned how to hold their own in a scrap instead of getting one punched and released after their first game, or worse yet, getting seriously hurt. I've seen a lot of kids (and unfortunately a disproportionately large percentage of them are American) head into a tryout or training camp overzealous, lunge into a fight flailing and either a.) end up with the other guy landing on top of him, or b.) basically offer up their face for a homerun punch because they're off balance. Either one makes most coaches just cross you off the list (showing you're willing to fight doesn't do anything if you get piston pumped), and both have much more potential for injury than locking up and taking a couple of punches off the side of your head.

When I first heard about it I thought the same thing as some of you guys (WTF?). But after reading up about it, I think it's good training and teaching they're providing. Fighting, at certain levels in hockey isn't going away anytime soon and all they're doing is showing the youngsters how to do it properly. Parents take their kids to karate classes all the time and think nothing of it (from the violence angle) so I'm not sure what the big deal is. There's checking camps, shooting camps, powerskating camps and now camps to help the enforcers. Shoot, maybe Avery will sign up and learn to play like a man :P

When I first heard about it I thought the same thing as some of you guys (WTF?). But after reading up about it, I think it's good training and teaching they're providing. Fighting, at certain levels in hockey isn't going away anytime soon and all they're doing is showing the youngsters how to do it properly. Parents take their kids to karate classes all the time and think nothing of it (from the violence angle) so I'm not sure what the big deal is. There's checking camps, shooting camps, powerskating camps and now camps to help the enforcers. Shoot, maybe Avery will sign up and learn to play like a man :P

Nobody should aspire to be a fighter. If you plan on being the toughest guy in the SJ, chances are you'll fail because someone is always going to turn out to be bigger, tougher and born with a few less nerve endings than you. Being "the guy" is not fun, and anyone who's done it will tell you the same. It's just not fun bashing your fists in every night. A kid that doesn't work on his skating as a bantam and trains to scrap isn't going to make too many junior teams, since a lot of guys who end up as fighters were still among the better players on their teams at one point.

But learning to not take it on the chin and get hurt is a good idea. Hopefully these kids take it as a survival skill and not a career skill at 14 or 15.

Hey, pros teach pros how to fight. The Blues were practicing at my rink the last year before Hull left the team. At the end of practice Hull and Tony Twist were still in their gear hanging out by the side of the rink. At the far end on the ice Kelly Chase was giving tips to another player(who shall remain nameless) on what to do in a scrap. Chase was tying up the player's right arm with Chase's left hand grabbing his jersey at the bicep. Then Chase showed the player how to yank down with the left arm and pull the player's face down low to receive the right uppercut Chase was throwing in the same motion. The classic line was Twist asking Hull, "Hey, who's Kelly working with?" Hull said, "the un-named player." Twist's classic reply, "Well, that's a waste of f'n time!"

Does it belong in our sport, yes... should it be taught at that age... maybe to a point, should it be encouraged by players like this NO! I feel that at some point the kids need to learn to fight if thats the type of player they're starting to turn out to be but they should be learning this in their basements and getting the dirty little tricks from their drunk uncle not a professional hockey player IN A CAMP!

On a side note, Does anyone have a problem with 10-12 year olds boxing? they're doing it right now in the Pan AM games.

OH and this is the greatest fight video of ALLLLL TIME.. please look at this. (sorry if it was already shown)

I think this is good because he is teaching them how to protect themselves during a fight so when they get in a fight in the future they will be less probable to injure themselves.

If it's for kids playing junior, I can see where it could be useful though still being in poor taste. In every other age group it's an automatic game misconduct. Not to mention the fact that the kids in the freaking pic are 12 and 13.

In every other age group it's an automatic game misconduct.

I'm not sure this is the case in the Manitoba and Saskatchewan leagues, it sure wasn't when I played and it wasn't 2 or 3 years ago when I was at my last game.

In every other age group it's an automatic game misconduct.

I'm not sure this is the case in the Manitoba and Saskatchewan leagues, it sure wasn't when I played and it wasn't 2 or 3 years ago when I was at my last game.

From the hockey Canada rule book

Rule 59. Fighting and Roughing

a) A Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty shall

be assessed any player who fights.

Hey, pros teach pros how to fight.

Hopefully it's still the case, it used to be the case when you first made your way to junior one of the vets on the team would show a rookie the ropes a bit after practice, especially if he looked like he had never even been in a hard sneezing match. Might be tough these days with 17 billion junior teams popping up in the States and mostly 16 and 17 year olds playing.

It wouldn't surprise me, Saskatchewan's just that kind of place. The SJHL is STILL the roughest and toughest junior league around, save some parts of the WHL (but there's more talent there).

OH and this is the greatest fight video of ALLLLL TIME.. please look at this. (sorry if it was already shown)

Think this one might have that beat by just a little...

Hey, pros teach pros how to fight. The Blues were practicing at my rink the last year before Hull left the team. At the end of practice Hull and Tony Twist were still in their gear hanging out by the side of the rink. At the far end on the ice Kelly Chase was giving tips to another player(who shall remain nameless) on what to do in a scrap. Chase was tying up the player's right arm with Chase's left hand grabbing his jersey at the bicep. Then Chase showed the player how to yank down with the left arm and pull the player's face down low to receive the right uppercut Chase was throwing in the same motion. The classic line was Twist asking Hull, "Hey, who's Kelly working with?" Hull said, "the un-named player." Twist's classic reply, "Well, that's a waste of f'n time!"

Figures an X Devil would need to learn how to fight :angry:

I think Sask. and Man. must not follow the rules because my cousin plays in manitoba and i have a buddy who plays in sask and ive asked them about the whole fighting thing and they told me that its just a 5 for fighting in their leagues

I think Sask. and Man. must not follow the rules because my cousin plays in manitoba and i have a buddy who plays in sask and ive asked them about the whole fighting thing and they told me that its just a 5 for fighting in their leagues

Sask and Manitoba orgs that are HC members would be bound by rules as Chad noted. Its possible there are unsanctioned leagues running-we have 3 in Ontario I'm aware of below Junior (London, Barrie & Oshawa CYO)....think they all follow penalties for fighting set by HC.

Back in 80's the Montreal Canadiens had boxer Mario Cusson work with few players, Nilan-Kordic if I recall correctly. Odd as he could hardly skate.

2 years ago a coach allowed Minor Midget players to fight in practise here-almost organized it, got suspended. Kids do need to be 'coached' on fighting-in some leagues taking off the bucket (removing helmet) is 5 games right off....if helmets are staying on so should the one glove their swinging with.

Don't get me wrong-I think that fight camp is ridiculous but boys do need to be taught to defend themselves. Especially true in summer hockey tourneys, weve had 2 incidents of coaches fighting this year in major Ont tournaments-not like their behaviour earns them suspensions in regular season. Players behave same way with everyone knowing there are little reprecusions-and these are the top AAA players forming 'super teams' or it would be worst.

My son will turn 7 in August, he is more than 1/2 way to a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. He's been in class since he was 4. He's been full contact sparring in class and at tournaments for about a year and a 1/2. He has never been in a fight outside of Tae Kwon Do we only had 2 incidents where he hit someone and made it very clear it would not be tolerated. If someone tries to hit him he blocks it and laughs at them.

I don't know about putting 12 year olds in the hockey fight class. You could see the outcry coming from a 1/2 a mile away. But if it were local and my son were 16 to 18 you bet. I just wouldn't let him tell his mom.

An automatic game or not (been in Florida and old for too long to enter that argument) fights still happen. Hell they happen in the adult rec and novice leagues occasionaly. They can and will occur at all levels, it's a physical game with sticks, padding and helmets. I'd rather my kid was prepared, skilled, confident and able to handle his own. The incident should be handled on an individual basis by the league, coach and parent, but I would prefer to leave his dentist and primary care physician out of it.

Okay Pile On