Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Powerfibers

No Contact Senior League

I believe the Rochester Amerks signed a goalie from a rec league for a few games a few years ago...had some injuries and were desperate.

When a goalie like that gets signed, the contract is for an "emergency backup goaltender." What this means is the goalie is only allowed to play in a game situations if the starter is injured and cannot continue. These players make about $50 per game to sit on the bench, and I have known several who served extended stints in these positions and recieved a full set of RBK gear for free (in the ECHL because their pads weren't NHL sized...)

Decent goalies in minor-pro towns should contact the team's coaches with some sort of playing resume and ask to be considered as an EBG. You would be surprised how often teams use these players throughout the season.

We all have to work in the morning and nobody gets signed out of beer league.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=91182

I know for a fact this guy was playing mens league for 2 or 3 seasons after playing club hockey in college, went to a prospect camp and next thing you know he is living the dream, wearing a championship ring from the SPHL... Not exactly Wayne Gretzky, but trust me, it is better than his previous job...

Last season's totals- 38 games, 1 goal, 2 assists = 3 points, 220 PIMS. He averaged about 6 minutes a game in the box. Hey, to each his own and somebody has got to do it but just how bad was his previous job?!

Last season's totals- 38 games, 1 goal, 2 assists = 3 points, 220 PIMS. He averaged about 6 minutes a game in the box. Hey, to each his own and somebody has got to do it but just how bad was his previous job?!

Bouncer in a seedy vegas strip club?

Chad was a part time personal trainer, mostly for the 40+ female category while living at home with his mother...

I have known him for a while and know he is tough as hell, so got him a tryout in the LNAH. This guy has a steel jaw (literally)and showed that in preseason when he took on this guy in his first pro fight:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=24700

Big step up from the beer league i would say....

He fought every heavyweight in the league that year before going to the UHL, and despite getting his ass handed to him by Jonathan Tremblay (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=62240)he really has never embarassed himself.

Look at the youtube videos on him, they definitly help all the beer league players keep the dream alive...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

In the league I play in, you can get away with quite a bit. You just can't take a run at guys. Subtly playing an angle on a forward coming down the wing driving them into the boards works good for me. Standing a guy up works just as well. Just have to bite the bullet when they call you for something. It's usually the "BANG" that gets the call. Smoothness is everything.

Chad was a part time personal trainer, mostly for the 40+ female category while living at home with his mother...

So he was making less than $300 a week doing that, if, he was actually lucky enough to earn more than $300 a week in the SP? I guess at least he didn't have to live in his mom's basement, but a McDonald's cashier could pull more than that in a week, plus their jobs pay more than 6 months a year.

I think its great that theres a new pro league, I really do but all these leagues fold so easy like the Western Pro League. I saw a jacksonville game and left after the 1st period. I've seen summer league and open hockey games in Canada with far more talent than this league. It looked very Tier III North American Jr A-ish.

With that said though. I guess you can't knock people that get paid to play hockey.

Does anyone know if this league has "Beer money open try-outs?"

So he was making less than $300 a week doing that, if, he was actually lucky enough to earn more than $300 a week in the SP? I guess at least he didn't have to live in his mom's basement, but a McDonald's cashier could pull more than that in a week, plus their jobs pay more than 6 months a year.

Yeah, but factor in the free apartment, insurance, 2 out of 3 meals per day are courtesy of sponsors, free golf, and other perks, it makes that 300 look like 500 or 600 per week. Plus add to that the fact you are now considered a professional hockey player so in this instance the player is working at a hockey school in minnesota in the summer making 1,000 per week and getting free room and board until the season starts up again... It makes far better money than the drive through pays..

This guy has a steel jaw (literally)and showed that in preseason when he took on this guy in his first pro fight...

That sounds like a heck of a first fight... Louis Bedard has been around! 3 stints with the Laval Chiefs! 4 seasons with over 300 PIM in 61 games or less.....

Louis Bedard has been around! 3 stints with the Laval Chiefs! 4 seasons with over 300 PIM in 61 games or less.....

That's not hockey

I play in a no contact beer league here in Denmark. I had a hard time ajusting to it because i allways played contact ice and rollerhockey. We dont check at pratice but some hitting are allowed in games, just dont run the guy over. Last season was my first in the league and was hit 3 times in the head by sticks. I hate playing with juniors that cant crontrol the stick :(. One team in our league is allmost only juniors that cant get on to the higher leagues here.

I believe the Rochester Amerks signed a goalie from a rec league for a few games a few years ago...had some injuries and were desperate.

When a goalie like that gets signed, the contract is for an "emergency backup goaltender." What this means is the goalie is only allowed to play in a game situations if the starter is injured and cannot continue. These players make about $50 per game to sit on the bench, and I have known several who served extended stints in these positions and recieved a full set of RBK gear for free (in the ECHL because their pads weren't NHL sized...)

Decent goalies in minor-pro towns should contact the team's coaches with some sort of playing resume and ask to be considered as an EBG. You would be surprised how often teams use these players throughout the season.

We all have to work in the morning and nobody gets signed out of beer league.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=91182

I know for a fact this guy was playing mens league for 2 or 3 seasons after playing club hockey in college, went to a prospect camp and next thing you know he is living the dream, wearing a championship ring from the SPHL... Not exactly Wayne Gretzky, but trust me, it is better than his previous job...

Dollars to donuts the SPHL scouts didn't spot him during their regular run through the Sunday night B League games.

Thats because the SPHL is considered an "A" level pro league. There are no scouts, and the only team with an official "affiliation" is Richmond (Affiliate of Wheeling in the ECHL)How would a league with a $5500 per week salary cap be able to afford a full time scouting staff? Low level pro like this relies on word of mouth from "trusted" advisors to build their squad, and that is exactly what happened in this situation...

One of my friends has played on Quad Cities the last two years. His roomie was Tremblay. He told me that fight was 11 punches in 6 seconds or thereabouts. I'm not putting down your bud. Like I said at the top, somebody has got to do it.