Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Powerfibers

No Contact Senior League

Is it just me or does playing in a no checking league totally screw up what your instinct tells you to do? For example, you dump the puck in, go into the corners where you cannot take the body, and 20 year old gym class all-star skates right around you. Having a little grit doesn't help you at all. You need a totally different strategy for this game, can you all help me find it please.

We play in a very poor league, but we suck. It's frustrating because I know that if we could just hit a tiny little bit, we would be winning way more battles and not getting blown out every game.

I find in most of these leagues there isnt much strategy involved. Its whoever has the best skaters.

You could always use the "home run stretch pass" to hopefully pop a few on the board. I know it works for one of my teams.

Zach

There is a difference between no check and no contact.

I play in a no check league, but incidental contact is allowed (although I've been called for some BS interference calls)

We are allowed to hinder the opponent physically, so long as we don't line them up and actually check them.

I played this spring in a no check league for the first time in a long, long time. My usual game is my over-the-hill gang on Friday nights. This spring I was in a very good division with lots of young guys with wheels. The only way to win in no check hockey is keep the puck in the other team's zone. My team had great offensive defencemen but in our zone we were a mess defensively. Once we broke out and took control in the other end the pressure was off. Just try to recruit a few better players!

We made it to the finals and the refs really loosened up for that game. They let the incidental contact go. Both teams knew each other very well so there was no bs.

The only way to win in no check hockey is keep the puck in the other team's zone.

You really hit the nail on the head. In a no-check game puck control is the best way to win. If you control the puck, you can control the game.

If you have to dump the puck, dump it to a place where your guys can get there first. Pressuring the man on the puck still results in a lot of turnovers, you just have to learn how to pressure without throwing the body.

Chadd,

It took me half the season to figure that out!! Also, moving my slow butt from defence to left wing helped the team a lot, too!

Yeah that's what I've seen as well. There's almost no use in dumping the puck most of the time. Hell, people look at you sideways if you clear the puck just to get a line change.

Then again, half the time there are four guys chasing the puck and one guy trying to play the other four positions. Can't wait until I can skate well enough to bump up to a level where they have a concept of positioning. That really makes the game much more fun than turnover-rush-turnover-rush-turnover-rush...

Yeah that's what I've seen as well. There's almost no use in dumping the puck most of the time. Hell, people look at you sideways if you clear the puck just to get a line change.

It took a while for some guys to understand that I'll send it "hard around" as a pass to a guy on the other side of the ice. It works much better than trying to pass across a clogged up blue line, assuming your guys are expecting it.

You just need to work on the subtle check :D. Sliding a hip in here and there and act like you can't stop.

You just need to work on the subtle check :D. Sliding a hip in here and there and act like you can't stop.

I like to pinch on my off side when I'm playing defense. I turn and lead with my ass when there's a race for the puck. The other guy ends up in a lot worse shape than I do, 99% of the time.

I played this spring in a no check league for the first time in a long, long time. My usual game is my over-the-hill gang on Friday nights. This spring I was in a very good division with lots of young guys with wheels. The only way to win in no check hockey is keep the puck in the other team's zone. My team had great offensive defencemen but in our zone we were a mess defensively. Once we broke out and took control in the other end the pressure was off. Just try to recruit a few better players!

We made it to the finals and the refs really loosened up for that game. They let the incidental contact go. Both teams knew each other very well so there was no bs.

Thanks everyone, but Darkstar you describe us perfectly. Especially about the recruitment. This being said, I am not in the better half of our team.

I play in a no check league, but incidental contact is allowed (although I've been called for some BS interference calls)

We are allowed to hinder the opponent physically, so long as we don't line them up and actually check them.

Exactly, you'll normally find out by the end of the first period what the refs will let slide. I've checked a few people this season already. Last season a guy had his head down and I kind of headbutted him so he wouldn't run into my chin with his head. haha.

But honestly, I felt bad when he skated to the bench after laying on the ice for a few seconds. :(

Exactly, you'll normally find out by the end of the first period what the refs will let slide. I've checked a few people this season already. Last season a guy had his head down and I kind of headbutted him so he wouldn't run into my chin with his head. haha.

But honestly, I felt bad when he skated to the bench after laying on the ice for a few seconds. :(

Gee, I wonder if you wear a full cage. Not to mention that is a complete dick move and all, either way.

Since, im too old to play Juniors now, all i have been playing is non-check for the past 2 years, and Im still having trouble adjusting. As a defensemen I sometimes find my self running around in my own zone because I cant hit. I also hate it when Joe-Nobody goes around me 1-on-1 because I'm retarded at poke checking and I cant put a body on the guy. I play in a league with a lot of D1/D3 players, Junior, etc so it can be really frustrating sometimes. Ive been really trying to get my foot speed and agility up to keep up with some of those quicker forwards now that I cant hit them.

No lie there. It's hockey not ballet. Most of the ref's here allow some contact as long as it stays within the context of the game. Crossing the line to interference is easy to do when you're out of position.

Since, im too old to play Juniors now, all i have been playing is non-check for the past 2 years, and Im still having trouble adjusting. As a defensemen I sometimes find my self running around in my own zone because I cant hit. I also hate it when Joe-Nobody goes around me 1-on-1 because I'm retarded at poke checking and I cant put a body on the guy. I play in a league with a lot of D1/D3 players, Junior, etc so it can be really frustrating sometimes. Ive been really trying to get my foot speed and agility up to keep up with some of those quicker forwards now that I cant hit them.

Sounds like your coaches relied on teaching hitting over positioning. If a guy like Nik Lidstrom can play at the NHL level without having to throw big hits every night, we can all do it in the leagues where we play.

I agree with Chadd...it means you have to think more about positioning, and if you're positioned well you can break up plays and create turnovers just as often as a hit would.

Sounds like your coaches relied on teaching hitting over positioning. If a guy like Nik Lidstrom can play at the NHL level without having to throw big hits every night, we can all do it in the leagues where we play.

Yeah, thats pretty accurate. I dont feel my positioning is horrible...but my conditioning at the moment prevents me from being in position, at times.

I know it kind of sounds dumb, but you have to take advantage of no contact rules if you want to win.

Cut across the middle just inside the blue line with the puck, turn your back on a forechecker when you have the puck along the end boards (you can sheild it very easily), keep your head down a bit trying a one on one deke, go wide on a D man and try and swoop across the top of the crease, take it out front from behind the net, things like that. Such moves would likely result in you getting killed in a serious contact game, but there nothing really you can do to stop it in non-contact.

My personal favourite is on a even or perhaps an odd man rush from time to time I will just carry the puck in on my off wing, slow down a bit and drift into the slot area and fire. In real hockey either the far D-man or a hard backchecker would just about knock your head off if you did that, but in non contact they won't touch you, hell you can even cut in and try a little dangle if someone is cutting at you. I've also scored many a beer league goal by basically bull rushing on the outside and swooping right through the crease, effectively crashing the net, and tucking it in either far side or maybe near side top shelf if the goalie challenges with a poke check (as they usually will) In good hockey you are 100% guaranteed to get smacked trying this move, but in beer leagues it is basically unstoppable.

I always remind guys on me team if we are playing non contact to take advantage of the rule, and to also remember that in most leagues I've played in it's almost impossible to get a 'body contact' or 'checking' call if you are the puck carrier, so take advatage of that and play like a run-away train when you have the puck. On defence...eh it can be tough...I usually try and just keep an active stick, pressure the man before he is able to take the pass, and beyond that just hope we have a goalie who can stop straightforward shots and try and keep things to the outside as much as possible. I always played D coming up in A/AA/High school, and I wasn't a big hitter, so I'm pretty competent at playing a Lidstrom-esque style back there.

Let's flip this a little, what to expect if you're a non-contact player who is going to play contact in the near future?

It will be a while for me, the house league at ballston is A, B, C1, C2, D

I will be in C1 after summer league, so will still be no contact.

I think it will be like that until perhaps B

Let's flip this a little, what to expect if you're a non-contact player who is going to play contact in the near future?

The phrase "keep your head up" has added significance. Depending on the level of the league and most players' experience, look out for people going out of their way to hit you just because they now can.

I like to employ my "hip punch" maneuver when playing D and taking on a rush. When the puck carrier comes close and tries to cut, you punch out his hip to throw him off balance. never gets called and if done right, is very effective.

And if the rusher is a prick I don't like, I make sure to give the punch a bit more torque. Otherwise, just enough to throw off the momentum and if timed right, 9 times out of 10 he loses the puck.