Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UC-CP-SF-dB

6' 4"- 285 lbs- 40 years old

I agree never to old. take some skating lessons. Two years ago i got back on skates. I hadnt skated for ten years. The first game i was so frustrated cause I wasnt mobile. I took a couple lessons and was back. Congrates to you! Most people use age as a excuse and a poor one at that. Dont give up when you get frustrated.

Hey man - definitely not to old to start, or to restart. I played quite a bit of pickup ice during my early teenage years, 12-17, but never got really competitive with it. Earlier this year, at the age of 26 I really started to miss playing. Some of my friends and I started an inline team to get our hands and feet moving, and it has been great. Our team sucks (0-9), but we always have a good time, and there has been huge improvement with everyone.

In the mean time, a few of us have also started playing pickup ice hockey with a bunch of guys on a different night of the week. While the inline is fun, I have always loved ice. I want to do this kind of thing for another six months or so, and then my ultimate goal is to play in a couple of leagues, and to be a productive player.

If I can achieve that, and keep playing part of my regular routine for as long as I can move my legs, then I will honestly die a happy person.

When I got out of college and was playing adult league in Orlando, we had a goalie who was 69 years old. Still managed to keep up with the hotshots. Unfortunately, he passed away this February, had cancer.

Not to go off topic - but where in Orlando did you play? A friend of mine and I lived down there about five years ago, and we had a real hard time finding much going on.

I recently had to learn how to stop on my weak foot. What helped me at first was thinking "turn and sit". A stop to me is turning to the side then sliding your foot out. Sitting down in my mind helped keep my shoulders square and my back straight and knees bent.

Eventually I was able to pivot my body, put the weight on the foot that's sliding out, and keep my balance. Then you're ready to move off your stopping foot.

This website has tons of great videos to watch.

stopping on my weak foot still kills me (im not good at it). I just dont get it i can stop like and NHLer on my good foot then as son as i attempt to go the other way, its not good.

I recently had to learn how to stop on my weak foot. What helped me at first was thinking "turn and sit". A stop to me is turning to the side then sliding your foot out. Sitting down in my mind helped keep my shoulders square and my back straight and knees bent.

Eventually I was able to pivot my body, put the weight on the foot that's sliding out, and keep my balance. Then you're ready to move off your stopping foot.

This website has tons of great videos to watch.

I have checked that site out......thanks ......very good info!

I was a skiing instructor in my high school years, so i have to re-learn the technique of stopping. I want to throw my feet out in front of me with my full weight pushing on the edges....this is where I usually bite it big time!

Not to go off topic - but where in Orlando did you play? A friend of mine and I lived down there about five years ago, and we had a real hard time finding much going on.

RDV Sportsplex. I was there 5 years ago. I ran the store there.

Went to open skate in Joliet the other day and am starting to see some improvement in my skating....I still can't stop though.....I think my skates may be too sharp....can't seem to slide sideways or shave ice without major chatter.

Do you try to stop with a lot of your weight on your heels? that has been known to cause chatter during stops. You also might want to find out how deep they cut your skates, If they gave you an average hallow that might be too deep for someone your size.

Spoke with my guy at my LHS and he is going to do a shallower profile to my edges and see if that helps my stopping ability......which is NOTHING right now.

My son and I are going to go to the International Ice Center in Romeoville tomorrow for open skate and then after that they have ice open for stick and puck practice for an hour. We hopefully will have some fun tomorrow.

Anyone in the Chicago area is welcome to join us......just keep the snickering to a minimum please.

It'll help - people always say that it is easier to stop on dull blades, but the fact is, the radius they have already is too deep for them to make that break and slide laterally.

Spoke with my guy at my LHS and he is going to do a shallower profile to my edges and see if that helps my stopping ability......which is NOTHING right now.

My son and I are going to go to the International Ice Center in Romeoville tomorrow for open skate and then after that they have ice open for stick and puck practice for an hour. We hopefully will have some fun tomorrow.

Anyone in the Chicago area is welcome to join us......just keep the snickering to a minimum please.

I was going to suggest stick and puck at Romeoville. I'll be there on Friday. I'm rehabbing an ankle injury and it will be my first attempt to skate in 6 weeks.

I've been there a few times where I had the ice to myself for the whole hour. Other times, xmas break for example, there isn't much room to move.

man, don't ever give up, I'm proud to say that 5 years ago this june 4th i had 5 bypass heart surgery at the age of 42. (i was told it was a genetic joke that both my dad and i were dealt, he having bypass at the age of 45). i had not skated since high school, but had it in my mind to do it since my son is a heck of a player. the first question i asked my doc was if i could play hockey (my wife thought i was spaced out on pain killers & laughed her butt off), by november of that same year i was playing, i was voted cap't of my team, and we have won the league title three times so far. as other posters have said, make sure you don't skimp on equiptment since you probably have to get up for work the next day, but give it h-e-double hockey sticks.

My dad hadn't touched skates since he played in the 60's. A few years ago he started playing mens league after a 30 year break. Your never too old to do anything. If you think about it, there are kids my age (17) who laced up skates this year in the NHL and played against men who are my dads age 44. Its not about what kind of shape your in but if you have the determination to do something anything is possible. I would also agree to buy good equipment. Don't get real cheap elbow pads or pants because if you slip and take a dive on the elbow nothing is more painful besides the tailbone which is a killer. Learning to stop is hard at first but after awhile you'll look back and laugh at how easy it comes. Keep us posted and there is nothing better for a child who is struggling to do something that does not come easy to them to see a close at home example. Best of luck.

For elbows, make sure they don't slide up or down at all. I found it easier to use a short sleeve shirt as the straps grip my skin better than fabric. That way you don't land on an elbow.

Shins, same thing, they should be snug and give you good protection.

On the pants (breezers), make sure there's lots of padding in the butt. A hard fall to the tailbone HURTS.

I skated with a guy who lost 100 pounds in a year between gastric bypass surgery and hockey a few times a week. I personally lost 30 pounds over about six months with a little light lifting and some cardio on the side. But lots of drinking, otherwise it'd be about 50 pounds.

Here's the latest update.

Went to my LHS and had my blades profiled to a shallower hollow..(look at me with the hockey lingo!) and after adjusting to the way they felt, I am so close to being able to do a hockey stop I can taste it! Was turning and sitting and my blades were shaving a little....mostly just turning....but some sliding.

After the open skate we did an hour or so of stick and puck....had a great time goofing around playing keep away with my son...taking shots on the goals etc...that is untill some guys came out in full gear and started taking slap shots form the blue lines...some high school age guys and some guys my age.....acording to the rules of the rink's stick and puck time there are to be no slap shots. I was getting a little nervous having my little guy out there with adults firing cannon's! He had full gear on, however his pads would not do to well agains a full speed slap shot from an adult.

We will be going back next Monday to do it again...we had a blast and were both exhausted and drenched in sweat. I think we spent 3 hours on the ice!

Still having a hard time finding pants that fit my lard-a**, tried on some XXL ccm's at Total Hockey....just shy of fitting.

I want to protect myself as much as possible, but spending some big bucks on a pair of custom pants from Tackla when they would not fit after some weight loss, does not seem too smart or finnacially feesable.

Went to my LHS and had my blades profiled to a shallower hollow..(look at me with the hockey lingo!) and after adjusting to the way they felt, I am so close to being able to do a hockey stop I can taste it! Was turning and sitting and my blades were shaving a little....mostly just turning....but some sliding.

After the open skate we did an hour or so of stick and puck....had a great time goofing around playing keep away with my son...taking shots on the goals etc...that is untill some guys came out in full gear and started taking slap shots form the blue lines...some high school age guys and some guys my age.....acording to the rules of the rink's stick and puck time there are to be no slap shots. I was getting a little nervous having my little guy out there with adults firing cannon's! He had full gear on, however his pads would not do to well agains a full speed slap shot from an adult.

We will be going back next Monday to do it again...we had a blast and were both exhausted and drenched in sweat. I think we spent 3 hours on the ice!

Still having a hard time finding pants that fit my lard-a**, tried on some XXL ccm's at Total Hockey....just shy of fitting.

I want to protect myself as much as possible, but spending some big bucks on a pair of custom pants from Tackla when they would not fit after some weight loss, does not seem too smart or finnacially feesable.

That's cool that you're getting close to hockey stopping, have you tried "snow plowing" to get the feel of what's going on during a stop on ice? Give your skates some time do wear down after this recent profile/sharpening, like JR said as the hallow gets warn down a bit and the blades "feel dull" you'll find it a bit easier to get that sliding stop going but as you get better at it you'll find that sharper is better.

For the pants. I know Tackla makes a size 60 pant, their 56 pant is only up to 40 inches but based on that and knowing that each jump in size is 2 inches in waist size the size 60's should be about 46 inches. Outside of that you might need custom pants. Just make sure you shop around first and exaust all other options before you go through that.

Have you tried looking into some pro return pants from some other big players? You could probably also take measurements and have the people at your LHS get a pair of pants for you because they probably won't have your size in stock. I myself have issues finding pants that fit over my thighs but don't fall off my waist so I feel some of your pain there.

That's cool that you're getting close to hockey stopping, have you tried "snow plowing" to get the feel of what's going on during a stop on ice? Give your skates some time do wear down after this recent profile/sharpening, like JR said as the hallow gets warn down a bit and the blades "feel dull" you'll find it a bit easier to get that sliding stop going but as you get better at it you'll find that sharper is better.

For the pants. I know Tackla makes a size 60 pant, their 56 pant is only up to 40 inches but based on that and knowing that each jump in size is 2 inches in waist size the size 60's should be about 46 inches. Outside of that you might need custom pants. Just make sure you shop around first and exaust all other options before you go through that.

Have you tried looking into some pro return pants from some other big players? You could probably also take measurements and have the people at your LHS get a pair of pants for you because they probably won't have your size in stock. I myself have issues finding pants that fit over my thighs but don't fall off my waist so I feel some of your pain there.

How do I go about finding pro reurn stuff?

There are some online stores like http://eastwesthockey.net/eaprorerehop.html Thats a direct link to the pro pants although they don't have many large sizes but keep your eye on it. I've seen some on ebay and general equipment searches through google.

I'm positive the others in this forum know far more about where to find pro return gear at, so maybe they can help you out a bit more.

try these..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320115028259

i got a 40 waist and wear the same model.. the 54 are a bit big for me and are made for a loose fit, compared to my old 54 tacklas which i could barely sqeeze in.

dont get the 700 as they fit like the tacklas, may be smaller.

might be enough...

sadly they used to be on sale, for $59, id call the store

see if they can give you a better deal..

i know the store has had these pants for a loooong time.

Majer Hockey

(416) 736-7444

try these..

i got a 40 waist and wear the same model.. the 54 are a bit big for me and are made for a loose fit, compared to my old 54 tacklas which i could barely sqeeze in.

might be enough...

Majer Hockey

(416) 736-7444

Thanks for the tip...I will give them a buzz later today!

try toronto hockey/goalie heaven they usually have a ton of pro returns in some bigger sizes. great guys to deal with also. i usually ask for dana. they usually have pro return gloves for sale on ebay and you can see their ebay store, or you can call 1-800-933-4555. i hope it's ok to give you a phone #, just trying to help out. by the way i've gotten some bauer/nike 5000 pants and some ccm pro returns from those guys that would probably fit.

try these..

might be enough...

Majer Hockey

(416) 736-7444

Called them and asked about getting a better price on the pants....they said that was their best price....found the same ones at hockeymonkey.com for 69.99.....think I will be ordering from them.

Thanks for all your info and help!

Hi again.....Well, we were going to go and skate at the IIC in Romeoville today but my son had to have some blood drawn this AM so after that trauma, he decided he just wasn't up to it.

We did, however make a trip to the 'ole LHS to try and solve an issue we have been having with his skates (CCM Vector 10.0) recently. His right foot has been supinating...rolling out over his ankle....pretty bad lately. we have tried lacing tighter, getting the skates baked again, but nothing seems to help out. After a ton of online searching, I think the problem is the boot volume is too big....his ankle seems to be flopping around and his heel is raising upwards.

So we tried on everything they had in stock...... Vapor XXXX's, RBK 9K's and Easton S15's.

The Eastons won.

They had the smallest boot volume,,,with the possible exception on one90's,which they do not make in youth sizes.

We are going to try some superfeet insoles in his CCM Vector 10's before we buy the Eastons, to see if that corrects the supination. I have head good things about this product.

After that, that only solution is custom orthotics. YIKES!