Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dgaronzik

Any Xbox Users out there?

I just made the switch to Xbox a week ago after reading about the many ways which xbox is better then PS2. So I took a week, collected some files, got a modchip and a new hard drive and last night I was up till 230 working on it. Got it working though :)

I just made the switch to Xbox a week ago after reading about the many ways which xbox is better then PS2. So I took a week, collected some files, got a modchip and a new hard drive and last night I was up till 230 working on it. Got it working though :)

you sodder or use pogo snaps?

you sodder or use pogo snaps?

Ordered a solderless chip and I decided it was the best decision ever after opening the box up. The solder points are as big as 2 grains of sand.

Is it that tough to do? I picked on up from a friend who does them but he's back in AK and this one's about to die. Just wondering how hard it is for someone who lacks any technical skills. And tools.

Is it that tough to do? I picked on up from a friend who does them but he's back in AK and this one's about to die. Just wondering how hard it is for someone who lacks any technical skills. And tools.

Prior to this I was putting together, taking apart, upgrading, etc, computers and laptops on my own so I had a little experience. But honestly, if you get a solderless chip (I got a xecuter 2.3b lite+) and you have a little patience, its not that hard. The hardest part for me was the patience, I didnt have the chip lined up totally correct at first and it was driving me nuts. But then after that I was fine.

Ordered a solderless chip and I decided it was the best decision ever after opening the box up.  The solder points are as big as 2 grains of sand.

i know what you mean :) I was building a pc the other day for my uncle, and I used a gigabit motherboard (if you build, use it), and I had to sodder the chip, and it wasnt fun... then there was a whole issue with the thermal grease, but I got it to boot into bios, and installed windows. BTW, buy a mac :)

If you get a soderless one (with pogo snaps), you place it on, and thats it. If you get a soddered one, you will need to sodder it with a flame.

I'm wondering what all I'd have to replace, if anything. My friend put a 120gb in there and I was wondering if you could bump that up to a 200.

yeah, the newer version of the Evox dashboard can support over 137gb (used to be the old cutoff). I stuck with 80gb, my thinking is that I never actually play more then 5 or 6 games at a time so if I have 10 games on it, I'll be more then busy. Plus I'll still have 25gb empty.

That's a good point, but he also rigged it up to be the ghetto sound system for the house so we had filled it up with everything we had.

That's a good point, but he also rigged it up to be the ghetto sound system for the house so we had filled it up with everything we had.

If you intend to keep it as such, Id go with the 200gb. I got rid of my surround sound system right before we moved into the city because the living room dimensions were so weird that I knew it wouldnt work all that well. So the xbox is strictly for gaming although I might put some movies on it.

i heard rumors that the newer generations of the xbox will be going to a solid state memory system, so you're not going to be able to do the hard drive mod anymore. if you going to get a xbox, get one soon.

i heard rumors that the newer generations of the xbox will be going to a solid state memory system, so you're not going to be able to do the hard drive mod anymore. if you going to get a xbox, get one soon.

This has already been confirmed, Xbox 2 will have no HDD. The solid state memory is apparently being developed by a company in Israel.

You can still upgrade... I believe @ first it will be from MS only, then generics will be made

Whoa I'm sorta lost here, I don't have any chips in my X-Box and so from what I understand you all have hard drives on them so you don't have to buy games? How does this work and how can I get hooked up with one!?

Whoa I'm sorta lost here, I don't have any chips in my X-Box and so from what I understand you all have hard drives on them so you don't have to buy games? How does this work and how can I get hooked up with one!?

good place to start is www.xbox-scene.com. They have forums and tutorials of all the pertinent information. I ended up getting 2 modchips after one of my orders was not canceled by the shop I ordered it from, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

I have a modchip which enabled me to add a new harddrive and run a different dashboard. The new dashboard enables me to run programs like DVD2Xbox which makes backups of game discs on the harddrive.

Can you only do this with an Xbox, or is it possible to get a mod chip for a PS2?

I know you can get them for the old PlayStation.

Can you only do this with an Xbox, or is it possible to get a mod chip for a PS2?

I know you can get them for the old PlayStation.

From what I read, its a lot harder on the PS2 and the benefits just arent as nice as they are on the Xbox.

For all you Xbox users, if you havent bought Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow yet, go get it. Its the best console game Ive ever played.

Have you played the multi-player yet? I was at Best Buy yesterday and almost picked it up but didn't. The multi-player sounded like the best part of the game, but the screenshots looked awesome as well.

Have you played the multi-player yet? I was at Best Buy yesterday and almost picked it up but didn't. The multi-player sounded like the best part of the game, but the screenshots looked awesome as well.

The screenshots don't do this game justice. I had SC on PC when it came out last year and I was worried that it wouldnt live up to my expectations. Within 5 minutes it had.

I havent played multiplayer yet, xbconnect is supporting it so I'll likely try it tomorrow morning when I wake up.

Didnt want to make a new thread for this but if anyone is interested in a modded xbox, PM me. With summer, hockey and my upcoming Actuarial exams, I wont have much time for it.

I have no idea about this mombo jombo, but I play xbox live and my name is Cr0ssk0re or crosskore or Crosskore, lol. I'll have to check.

dgaronzik, what have you been doing now that your x-box is modded? is it just a bigger hard drive or do you plan on running a server off of it? i read some stuff in a popular science a while ago that you can run linux :rolleyes: if you have a mod chip?