Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oliverloran

"Stainless" blades rust?!

I've been using an Easton 1200C since january and i took the blade out becuz it started to wiggle, so i wanted to take a look how it is suspended there, and i figured, that my blades had marks of rust on them. Swedish stainless stell huh? Has anyone else had experienced such with Easton or with other brands?

stainless steel means that it 'stains-less'. No matter what, there will be some form of corrosion if not taken care of - courtesy of 4 years of mech engineering crap I got in college.

Even metal like aluminum would have some corrosion...

Yea, i know aluminium use to corrode, as much as know it makes such a surface cover so its not so shiny. Whatever, i thought that stainless steel as it is a mix of nickel, crome and steel is done so that it doesnt catch marks of traditional rust, anyway i didnt wiped them until became dry just so that the most of the ice comes off. Should i do anything else than just wiping with a dry cloth?

Well, first of all, Easton steel blows.

Make sure you get your skates out of your bag every night. I would also recommend periodically (two, maybe three times a week) spraying WD-40 onto a cloth and using that to wipe your blades down.

Get the cotton blade covers, they soak up the moisture off the blade, then take your skates out and remove the covers when you get home. I had carbon steel holders that would rust after every skate because I'd leave them in the rubber skate guards, but the cotton covers fixed it. Now I have better skates and take better care of them.

What does the WD-40 do for the blades? Never heard of that one before...

I wouldn't put the old WD40 on blades(flammable type)....kerosene based, might damage some plastic holders. Old type is still in some stores-many garages.

There are many 'grades' of stainless steel-higher nickel content is more expensive and more rust resistant. I used cheaper SS fastners on my boat, looked like crap in 6 months(freshwater) and 2 broke taking them off.