Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

After workout Supplements

Excellent advice. Of course, the fact that whey protein is basically nothing more than a finely milled and artificially flavored canister of dehydrated milk is beside the point as well. I guess the "secret" of turning a $3 container into a $60-100 one is too much for me to bear.

if you are paying 60-100 for protein then you are an idiot, or buying mass quantities. powdered milk is vastly different from whey or casein, those are the protein content of milk. you are isolating each form and getting it in mass quantities. powdered milk it a fine option if that is what you want, but they are not the same, and the price is understandable.

to address other issues, there there are many companies outside of USANA that are part of the good manufacturing practice movement. you just have to shop smart.

Agreed, Usana is just what has worked for me. I recommend anybody who wants to take any supplements to do their own research and make an educated choice as to what they put in their bodies.

I just started taking a 100% whey supplement recently, and I'm wondering when the best times to take it are. I've heard whey is quickly broken down by your body, and casein is a slower-digesting. Does anyone have any input on when the best times to take it would be? Right now I'm just trying to spread it out, usually one in the afternoon, one after workout, and one in the evening. Thanks!

I just started taking a 100% whey supplement recently, and I'm wondering when the best times to take it are. I've heard whey is quickly broken down by your body, and casein is a slower-digesting. Does anyone have any input on when the best times to take it would be? Right now I'm just trying to spread it out, usually one in the afternoon, one after workout, and one in the evening. Thanks!

couple of things, a hockey website might not be the best place for nutritional and supplement advice. secondly, most of your protein needs should be met from food.

as for whey, casein is slower digested yes, you can take whey whenevery, but immediately post workout accompanied with carbs is a great time for whey.

Again im sorry to bring up an old topic, but after working out a bit i figure why not give it a shot. So i think saturday or tomorrow, im going to head on down to my local GNC or Nutrition House and pick up some whey.

So my question is, is there a certain brand i should be looking at, or just basically read its nutritional info on the side and pick what ever one i like best?

I'm not talking about flavours iether, i think im going to go with chocolate...

Does anyone really know alot about "muscle milk," I don't think im going to buy it, I read about it a bit, but not into great detail, just what the GNC site said it was, they basically said it was mothers breast milk, and i was just wondering if anyone had any info on it.

Muscle Milk's claims are gimmicky just like most supplements are. If you're set on buying protein in a tub just go with what tastes best, which will help you with keeping up the routine of actually taking it.

In that regard, IMO Muscle Milk was the best tasting protein, especially the pre-made ones in the single serving carton. Chocolate tastes like a malt.

There's a New Zealand company called BALANCE who make some of the best tasting protein mixes. Their Choc tastses like a maccas thick shake when added and shaken properly.

There's a New Zealand company called BALANCE who make some of the best tasting protein mixes. Their Choc tastses like a maccas thick shake when added and shaken properly.

Really? Never heard of them. Will hunt around.

Dymatize makes some good tasting protein. Can't really go wrong with ON either. I've heard some good things by BSN's Syntha I think it is. But that's if you've got a bit of dosh to spare.

are you talking protein for post workout, or just protein? syntha 6 is excellent taste wise, and the panel isnt that bad, but bsn isnt the greatest at QC. on is solid for concentrate, but if you are looking post workout look at isolates.

Muscle Milk makes me feel weird. I stick to EAS products cause I feel like I feel better when I use them over other brands. I'm not saying they are better just that they are better for me. I stack Betagen and Endurathon in a 3/4 bottle of Powerade. I've tried other brands of Creatine and for whatever reason I don't get the same results.

Really? Never heard of them. Will hunt around.

Dymatize makes some good tasting protein. Can't really go wrong with ON either. I've heard some good things by BSN's Syntha I think it is. But that's if you've got a bit of dosh to spare.

Balance Website

Its important to pick up enough protein! No protein, no progress.

The normal rule of thumb is 2grams protein per kg-of-bodyweight a day, which is 180grams in my case (i weigh around 90 kg). I go with 3 shakes a day. One has about 35 so its enough to cover the daily need and with the normal food routine i gain some more so you are fine.

I also think that recovery is quite important.

I go with a 4day-schedule:

Mon (Biceps, Breast, Back, Stomach)

Tue (Triceps, Legs, Stomach)

Wed DAY OFF

Thu (Biceps, Breast, Back, Stomach)

Fri (Triceps, Legs, Stomach)

Weekend off.

Works pretty well for me.

Oddly enough, after scanning thru this whole thread no one really mentions the need for mineral supplements. Hockey players often have a calcium and magnesium deficiency. Could also have some trace element deficiency.

The best way to find out is to see your doctor and get tested. Failing that, a good mineral supplement is probably a good thing if taken in moderation.

The normal rule of thumb is 2grams protein per kg-of-bodyweight a day

Holy overkill, Batman! RDA is .8/kg. 2g/kg is something you would see for an olympic caliber athlete.

The normal rule of thumb is 2grams protein per kg-of-bodyweight a day

Holy overkill, Batman! RDA is .8/kg. 2g/kg is something you would see for an olympic caliber athlete.

the rda is for inactive adults and does not apply.