Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

After workout Supplements

I just started a hefty workout routine after work. Small amount of cardio, but mainly weights at this stage to build strength with abit of size.

I also work in a fitness shop and get wholesale on supplements and was wondering if any of you guys use supps to boost your workout results? More so what are the types of supps do you use (protein or carbs and protein for eg)? What brand do you use?

Im currently using a mild protein supplement called "Night time growth protein" its by a New Zealand company called "Balance".

No recovery day is dangerours. Even Olympic level athletes require a recovery day or two. This actually enables better results and longer periods of successive training.

Creatine can improve workout results, by letting you workout every day with no recovery day.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html info on it

no - your wrong....all it does is allow you to work a bit harder when you are at the gym. The harder you train, the more you'll gain. You still need to rest and recover. The people who don't need time away from the gym are taking steroids.

Myself - Aside from a solid diet, the only things I'm taking are a daily multi-vitamin, BCAA's before / during the workout, and whey protine with some fast absorbing carbs post workout (for carbs im trying out a product called "carb slam", it's made up of Waxy Maize Starch, which is apparently supposed to be the new fastest absorbing carb source your body can take in?).

Sometimes if I'm a hurry in the morning I'll have a scoop of casine protine with milk and two scoops of whole oats, makes for a decent breakfast - especailly considering my next food is atleast 6 hours away.

From my experiance anything else (excluding creatine I suppose) is nothing but a waste of money. Most of the crap out there doesn't work at all, or is so full of junk and fillers, or the advertised quanities of what ever the latest hype product is are so low, that your either wasting money or maybe putting a bunch of crap into your body that shouldn't be there. I suppose to that end I'm not even too sure about the BCAA powder I'm using or the starch.

Also +1 on www.bodybuilding.com , Awesome site, cheap, and the forums are great.

its different for everyone depending on your body type/weight and alot of other factors, but protein shakes are the building blocks for gaining muscle

so if you want to add muscle you shouldn't try without it

stay away from creatine. Youll pull every muscle in your body. Not litterally but you will pull a lot more muscles. plus it can mess up your stomach. i dont drink them but if you have a planet smoothie, they have protein smoothies that i heard were really good.

Personally I like www.t-nation.com and www.bodybuilding.com

I lift every day and have gotten into a couple great supplements.

Pre workout I am using Animal Stak 2 but have also used NO Xplode and Hyrdroxycut Hardcore

Post workout I used BSN Cellmass followed by Whey and L Glutamine

However I am on a stacking cycle and big, so as a simple suggestion look into Muscle and Fitness, October issue has a great article on supps. Best best post workout is Whey Prot (proper ratio of body lbs to grams prot) and L-Glutamine. Muscle milk is also really good.

Whey protein shake after workout (Optimum Nutrition brand) along with GNC creatine and L-Glutamine. If I'm just playing b-ball or running that day I'll just do the creatine and Glutamine after. I also take the GNC men's multivitamin and Omega 369.

stay away from creatine. Youll pull every muscle in your body. Not litterally but you will pull a lot more muscles. plus it can mess up your stomach. i dont drink them but if you have a planet smoothie, they have protein smoothies that i heard were really good.

creatine has no effect on you pulling a muscle. only you have an effect on you pulling a muscle. all creatine does is increase your PCr energy system, which provides you the energy to complete brief, repetitive tasks, such as weight lifting, hockey, football, etc. it's not going to cause you to pull muscles, unless you're using bad form in the gym with it. and the adverse side affects, such as cramping is mainly from lack of hydration, which, if following the instructions of taking creatine, is vital.

on top of that, the three supplements i live by are protein, glutamine, and creatine, but i only take creatine for about 2 months when i'm getting back into the gym after the summer to allow me to catch back up.

creatine has no effect on you pulling a muscle. only you have an effect on you pulling a muscle. all creatine does is increase your PCr energy system, which provides you the energy to complete brief, repetitive tasks, such as weight lifting, hockey, football, etc. it's not going to cause you to pull muscles, unless you're using bad form in the gym with it. and the adverse side affects, such as cramping is mainly from lack of hydration, which, if following the instructions of taking creatine, is vital.

on top of that, the three supplements i live by are protein, glutamine, and creatine, but i only take creatine for about 2 months when i'm getting back into the gym after the summer to allow me to catch back up.

Like you said creatine can lead to muscle pulls from adverse reactions. So it does have an effect on pulling a muscle.

As far as the OP asked, optimally get protien in your body within 45 minutes of working out. Youd be suprised at the results you see.

Food is the fundamental building block of muscle, not protein. Unless your consuming around 6 meals a day, with a stringent balance of carbs, protein, and fats, shakes will not do anything for you.

Food is the fundamental building block of muscle, not protein. Unless your consuming around 6 meals a day, with a stringent balance of carbs, protein, and fats, shakes will not do anything for you.

Very true. Seems like all I eat nowadays is chicken ,tuna, fruits with an occasional steak thrown in plus 2 shakes a day.

pre workout/game i use a product called KCG2 (kre-alkalyn, glutamine, beta-alanine) made by Swedish supplement company Fairing. The product is developed together with Swedens national x-country ski team. it works great for stopping lactic acid build up.

Post workout i use vitargo + eaa (essential amino acids).

Just started using PVL Mass Gainer xl2. Only just started on it so can't comment on results but if its good i'll definitely be getting the chocolate next time. I got vanilla and holy crap keeping it down is harder than my actual work out. I'm using the 'hold the nose and slam it' technique and i'm still struggling.

On that note has anyone tried this product in vanilla and chocolate or even just chocolate? If so how does it taste?

A lowfat chocolate milk has pretty much everything you need after a workout. Protein, carbs, vitamins, and tastes good too.

Not really. You would need a hell of a lot of chocolate milk, and low fat or not, fat is the last thing you want after a workout. Fat slows digestion down and you want the fastest absorption after a workout.

calories are the fuel for your body, but protein is what builds your muscles, as it's what your muscles are made from.

not only should a protein shake be consumed asap after a hard workout to help muscle rebuilding, but carbs should be injested immediately as well, since it can take up to two days for you body to replenish it's glycogen stores after they've been depleted, and consuming carbs directly after can help prevent that.

A lot of people mix maltodextrin or dextrose with their shakes after a workout, beings they are two of the fastest digesting carbs available.

After a workout I make a proten shake (ON chocholate) with non-fat milk and a scoop of dextrose. I usually also take a multivitamin/mineral and some fish oil.

During days where I play hockey, I eat lots of complex carbs during the day (whole wheat bread & pasta), and drink tons of fluid to keep me hydrated. I will usually drink a half gatoraide/half water during the hour before the game as well.

As willy mentioned earlier, one of the best sites for information on nutrition and exercise is bodybuilding.com and their forums (forum.bodybuilding.com). They have huge threads on pre/post workout nutrition.