Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qmechanic

Heartland hockey camp

Hi,

I've been going to Heartland Hockey Camp for the past two summers and I thought I'd share information about my experience.

I went to the adult camp (there were no kids camps running at the same time) that included one day for orientation and five days of hockey. We had a 4-6 camper to instructor ratio. Steve Jensen (former NHL player and US Olympian) runs the camp. He's a great guy and really takes a lot of pride in running a fun, instructive camp. The campers are split into different skill groups and a group of coaches are assigned to each skill group. Each day, there are two ice practices, one scrimmage, one dryland shooting session, and a video/classroom session.

My first year, the coaching was outstanding. Steve Jensen himself coached our group and he was very demanding. He certainly didn't treat us like beginners. I learned a lot about transition skating and the triangle offense. There was also a really smart coach who had a lot of experience teaching women adult players. During my second year (this past summer), the coaching wasn't so good because we just had a bunch of college players coach us (with the head coach being a pro player in Sweden). They didn't have much experience coaching and frankly got lazy sometimes.

One of the surprising aspects of the camp is the social atmosphere. A lot of the campers have been going year after year. There is one woman who always buys fireworks for the last night and brings her 80 year old mom's cookies. There is a bar in the rink (yes, you heard me right) and usually a party in the bar during one night of the camp. On the last night of camp, Steve and his wife served all the campers a special dinner with wine, steak, and shrimp. The fact that the camp is in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota helps people bond together since you just eat, sleep, play hockey with the same people day after day.

Here are the photos I took from this past summer's camp:

My flickr photos from Heartland Hockey Camp Summer 2007

If you're interested and have questions, let me know!

- qmechanic

I have fond memories of that camp from twentysome years ago as a high schooler, some of them hockey related. Being taught power skating by Steve's wife (I have since forgotten her name) is one of very few activities that most teenage boys would consider worthwhile at 5:30 in the morning.

My wife and I considered going to that camp when IHS in Detroit Lakes did away with their adult camp. However, their curriculum lists "learning how to give and how to receive a check" as part of the training curriculum (even for the beginning adults) and I didn't feel like putting my body through that beating. The 4 plus hours a day of skating alone takes enough toll on my back and knees, I didn't need to have someone pounding me into the boards either. Anyway, since you went qmechanic, is that part of the curriculum?

My wife and I considered going to that camp when IHS in Detroit Lakes did away with their adult camp. However, their curriculum lists "learning how to give and how to receive a check" as part of the training curriculum (even for the beginning adults) and I didn't feel like putting my body through that beating. The 4 plus hours a day of skating alone takes enough toll on my back and knees, I didn't need to have someone pounding me into the boards either. Anyway, since you went qmechanic, is that part of the curriculum?

No way, there is no checking for anyone whether you are a beginner player or an advanced one. In my two camps, I don't recall anyone getting hurt. However, someone always tries to start a "fight" at the very end of the last scrimmage. :P

I just got my Heartland Catalog in the mail. I can't wait to attend. It says the deposit is due by May 1st, Do you think it fills up? I'm curious because I dont plan on paying until April.

I just got my Heartland Catalog in the mail. I can't wait to attend. It says the deposit is due by May 1st, Do you think it fills up? I'm curious because I dont plan on paying until April.

That should be fine. My first year, I didn't find out about the camp until June, so I paid only two months in advance. I've never heard of the adult camp filling up. The veterans (people who've been going to Heartland hockey adult camp for 5+ years) tend to pay way in advance and they get somewhat nicer rooms. You and I (being relative newcomers) don't have enough history to get those sorts of favors.

However, someone always tries to start a "fight" at the very end of the last scrimmage. :P

Would that be the same douchebag that is always responsible for starting the gongshow when everyone on the benches hops the boards and plays the last two minutes of a pick-up game?

Wow 900 is pricey but i guess with the ice time and instruction it could be worth it. Too bad i wasn't so busy in the summer.

See ya,

Heather

You do get a lot of ice time. The mandatory part is 3 hours a day (two practices and one scrimmage). Then there are 5 hours of optional ice time in the evening (7 pm - 12 am). You also get a few hours of ice time on the first day when you check in and also there is a scrimmage with the coaches on the day that everyone leaves. So that ends up being 8 x 5 + 3 + 1 = 44 hours of ice time if you can stand it! It is also possible to hire a coach to train with you during the optional ice time. I saw one guy hire a coach to practice his one-timers.

Wow 900 is pricey but i guess with the ice time and instruction it could be worth it. Too bad i wasn't so busy in the summer.

See ya,

Heather

You do get a lot of ice time. The mandatory part is 3 hours a day (two practices and one scrimmage). Then there are 5 hours of optional ice time in the evening (7 pm - 12 am). You also get a few hours of ice time on the first day when you check in and also there is a scrimmage with the coaches on the day that everyone leaves. So that ends up being 8 x 5 + 3 + 1 = 44 hours of ice time if you can stand it! It is also possible to hire a coach to train with you during the optional ice time. I saw one guy hire a coach to practice his one-timers.

Yep, if I can get the money, sounds like I'm going. Only a 12 hour drive...

I have never been to Heartland Hockey Camp, but I know Steve quite well and I know that he does nothing half-assed. He takes a lot of pride in his coaching and is excited to do whatever it takes to help players get better. Other than maybe me, I don't know any coach with his energy on the ice.