Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hipster

Strategy Tips for Olympic size ice?

My PeeWee team (I'm the coach) is competing in the state playoffs next week. Both teams we may face play on Olympic size ice. I've been stressing the importance of playing disciplined position, but I'm wondering if anyone has some other good practical advice for 12 year olds of average ability. Our players match up fairly well with both opponents in skill, but our first year players just coming out of squirts have trouble not getting suckered into chasing especially on the PK.

Any advice appreciated

For me olympic ice is fun. I am an offensively minded hockey player and I love the space you have to move around. That being said you have to play that on both sides of the coin. We liked to have a guy streak down the off-side and then cut as soon as control was gained. On the flip side you need to be aware the other team will probably try the same thing so you have to play heads up. As far as the PK, I would stress to them the fact that on olympic Ice at their age the point men are hardly a threat. The shots are just THAT hard yet so to just give the D room and make him think.

I'm playing only on olipic size rinks, and i can say due to that the rink is wider than in nhl, u have to watch when you have a penalty, because the other team will have more space to move around and you shouldnt let your players to go too much to the sides. Thats what i can say, otherwise when you attack you have more space to move so try to make an advantage of it being in their zone.

Keep reminding them to play from the net out. Stay between their guy with the puck, and your own net.

That's a Good, simple way to put it that they might actually remember. Two of my defensemen seem to lose battles in the corner and then forget to hustle back to the net front.

For me olympic ice is fun. I am an offensively minded hockey player and I love the space you have to move around. That being said you have to play that on both sides of the coin. We liked to have a guy streak down the off-side and then cut as soon as control was gained. On the flip side you need to be aware the other team will probably try the same thing so you have to play heads up. As far as the PK, I would stress to them the fact that on olympic Ice at their age the point men are hardly a threat. The shots are just THAT hard yet so to just give the D room and make him think.

Thanks. In General you see less shots on goal or less scoring by younger teams on Olympic Ice? Last time we played on it, any rebound off a shot we took from an angle outside the slot hashmarks seemed to find its way into the corner....a loooong way away for PeeWee A minors. As a result we only had 17 shots for the game where we usually average 28-36. Maybe it was just a good goalie knowing how to steer rebounds away.

I'm playing only on olipic size rinks, and i can say due to that the rink is wider than in nhl, u have to watch when you have a penalty, because the other team will have more space to move around and you shouldnt let your players to go too much to the sides. Thats what i can say, otherwise when you attack you have more space to move so try to make an advantage of it being in their zone.

Oh man, great point. Penalty killing is our toughest weakness to work on. They instinctively want to chase the man and put a lot of pressure on him and our box gets penetrated more than the Spears's sisters.

I play a few nights on Olympic ice. The main thing is hustle and keep them short. It's a long way to the bench from the far boards. It's not hard for a bad line change to turn into a catastrophic line change.

And also stress talking out there. Especially on the D end of things. I like knowing I can chase a guy into the corner or knowing someone else is so I can cover low, etc.

Don't forget shift awareness, that same race for the puck, or breakaway is a tad longer with more ice thus legs get heavy...keep 'em short because with more ice, fresh legs are even more important.

I play a few nights on Olympic ice. The main thing is hustle and keep them short. It's a long way to the bench from the far boards. It's not hard for a bad line change to turn into a catastrophic line change.

Thanks, I have one or two defenseman who might be sharp enough to grasp that concept and take advantage of the other team in a wholesale line change. I just have to find a fast forward who can read that and get out there wide.

We play at Tate Rink at West Point. It is Olympic size. Don't let your D get too caught up in the corners. It is a long way back to the net. Be careful going behind the goal line on defence and chasing the puck carrier. There is a lot of room from the goal line to the end boards. Be careful defending 2-on-1 as the outside man along the wall has a lot of real estate. Don't get sucked in to going out there with him. Let the goalie handle the puck carrier. Force him to shoot. And then the old adage: the puck moves faster than you can skate! Pass, pass, pass, and quickly! Use Nok-hockey strategy on passing: bank a few passes off the wall to take advantage of the new angles. Keep the shifts short!